Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

What is this on my Jade Plant?

gardenbug
10 years ago

It looks to me like some sort of fungi. (I've attached a couple of pics.) for you to see. My jade is planted in a 8" terracotta pot about 9" deep. It looks healthy but yesterday when I lifted it from it's saucer, I noticed a yellow growth of some sort. With a magnifying glass it looks like seeds. So weird. In the photo it looks white but it's more of a yellow. I'd like to know what it is, what caused it and is it harmful to my jade plant??

I've had this plant for about a year. It was given to me but I've never seen this growth before yesterday.

I also noticed some of the roots are coming through the hole at the bottom of the pot, should I transplant it? Help Please??

Comments (11)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the pic of the Jade with the bottom showing the fungi. I hope someone can tell me what this is please? It's more yellow than white.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Cadence,

See the enclosed link to a related post on this forum. Someone else had the same issue with her/his plants. What soil are you using?

Planto

Here is a link that might be useful: GW post regarding mold/fungus on soil

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Planto. OMG ~ I hope I don't have to throw this jade away. My daughter gave it to me in September to look after while she is living in England for a few years. When I was looking at this fungi at the base of the plant, I didn't see any bugs moving, so I'm thinking it's just some sort of fungi that obviously spreads from plant to plant. I better move my other plants. Thanks for that link, it helped.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

I posted on the other thread too. I think it might be in the soil, but I don't know for sure. That being said, I think you could just change the soil, being sure to thoroughly clean off the old soil and roots. No need to get rid of your plant. :)

I found this particular stuff growing out of my pots when I used miracle Gro soil. I thought maybe it was just a bad batch, but having used numerous bags, I always get the same problem for some reason.

I hope this helps.

Planto

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A sigh of relief...to know I don't need to discard the plant. Thanks for the reassurance. I clean all this stuff off really well. I have no idea what kind of soil it is. BTW, If the roots are showing through the hole, does that mean I should put the plant in a 10" pot instead of the 8" pot that it's already in? Thanks.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Cadence,
    I'm sorry, I don't grow jades. But, I do know just because you see roots coming out of the bottom, that may not necessarily mean it needs a bigger pot. You can pull it out (probably best when dry as not get wet soil falling off) and see just how root bound it is. If it's not root bound, just stick it back in the pot. You don't want to overpot.

What I do know is that they love sun and they appreciate fast draining soil. Now what I did was clean off the stuff from under my pots, but it only grew back. Yours may grow back. I don't know. If it is soil related, it might be everywhere in the soil.

You could try doing a search for jade care on the forums (typing jade care in the search function) as I believe there are a number of posts regarding jade care. I believe that you could just buy some Miracle Gro cactus soil ans a bag of perlite and mix it to a 1:1 ratio. It might require more frequent waterings because it's faster draining, but succulents and cacti appreciate it.

If you have a South window, it would love it there. Better, to be outside (where outside, I'd be afraid to say, the sunlight is more intense outdoors and more intense the closer to the equator). But, acclimate it to higher light gradually, meaning, don't just throw it in your South window first thing and leqve it there all day. It could burn (although, it's still winter and this is less likely... Depending on where you've had it, how dim it was I mean, you could do this gradually just to be safe). Maybe two hours for a few days at first, then four hours for a few days, up until it's there all day. Hopefully you will find out where to place it outdoors if you choose to (someone with more experience answers or you find it on GW).

Again, I don't know much, that's about as much as I know. To be honest though, that's real general care for cacti and succulents (not all appreciate this or want this kind of treatment, but you have an easy succulent).

As to their watering, I don't have a clue. I know they're not normal tropical houseplants, keep moist all times year round so to speak, you will have to wait for someone with more experience to answer or hopefully find a good post about their care. It will vary depending on the time of year.

Sorry if I was rambling. I hope this helps.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 20:20

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

While out of the pot during your examining of roots if roots look both healthy and are tight/snug to 6 inch pot sides then would suggest you do repot it pot up into something bigger, or wider if your thinking a bonsia pot.

Good idea is monitoring of your bottom discoloring. Molds tend to grow bigger in size pest eventually move, perlite being white ( like certain pest egg) can also lead to concern but usually tend to dry up or fall off the pot.

• Neysa
    10 years ago

would it have anything to do with using a clay pot? Maybe plastic would be better? Also, don't know where you live, but maybe put plant outside for a few hours till it gets used to it each day.............Here in california, they plant them and forget them. My neighbor had a huge one given to him, and its in a large plastic pot, just blooming away, but he tries not to water it too much till summer when it gets really hot..............

Your white stuff doesn't look like the pictures in the link that was provided for you................his are bugs for sure............nasty critters

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The Jade looks fantastic and I don't think you need to worry.
    Fungus usually just means that the conditions are right for fungus to grow....so, perhaps, try allowing the Jade to go a bit drier between waterings.....or you could elevate the bottom of the container to allow more air-flow.

Josh

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh. Okay, I'll just brush all this stuff off and elevate the pot up away from the saucer (maybe with a few stones) to let it dry out.

As always, thank you to everyone for all your really helpful suggestions. I have learned so much from each of you.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Sure thing. :)

Planto