Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veronicaduo

Small red spots and big red splotches on succulent

veronicaduo
10 years ago

Hello!

I got a pot of a variety of small succulents a few weeks ago. Small red spots and big red splotches have just appeared on the fleshy leaves of one of the succulents.

Any idea what could be wrong with the plant?

Thanks so much for your time!

Comments (11)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Have you put it outside in full sun? If so, could be sunburn. Indoor plants need to be slowly acclimated to full sun, or they may burn.

Christopher

• hijole
    10 years ago

Well not so sure anything is wrong with this plant at all, it sorta looks like Golden Sedum which turns multiple colors at different times of the year and seasons which looks very nice with all the various colors.

I could be wrong & I stand to be corrected if so, enjoy your little beauty.

Greg

• veronicaduo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it has been out in full Southern California sun. We've had some days of hot weather well into the 70s. I will put it in the shade for a few days and see if it gets better.

Thanks so much for your suggestion!

This post was edited by veronicaduo on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:17

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

If it is indeed sunburn, remember any damage already done will not go away, not like sunburn on humans. :)

Christopher

• veronicaduo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wah wah.

• hijole
    10 years ago

Veronicaduo, So heres my point Im adding a picture of a Golden Sedum that I purchased this morning at H/D it resembles the one you mentioned.
    Hope it helps

Greg

• hijole
    10 years ago

Veronicaduo, here is the complete name of the plant in question, again hope it helps.

Greg

• veronicaduo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, Greg! Yes, it looks like the same plant... minus the red splotches and black/red dots. Enjoy it!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Veronica, the red spots on your sux is normal for us...a type of "freckling", for lack of a better term. The plant will look different through the year.

Greg, I believe both you & Veronica have Sedum nussbaumerianum. If it were Sedum adolphii, the tops of the leaves would be flat with a more defined edge (with rounded underside).

Here are several pix of my S. nussbaumerianum at different times (some diff plant), some with the freckling, some with California tan. =)
    Click for larger views:

{{gwi:493636}} {{gwi:493637}} {{gwi:493638}}

{{gwi:493639}} {{gwi:493640}}

• hijole
    10 years ago

Thank you Rosemarie, You always have the correct info. and I admired your knowledge which is why I joined this web site, to learn & grow along with my plants.

thanks again,
    Greg

• veronicaduo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah! So glad to hear the plant is OK despite the splotches and spots. We're about to get a few days of rain (finally!). I've read that overwatering succulents is not good. Should I try to keep it out of the rain and maintain the regular watering (once a week)?

Thanks so much, Rosemarie.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations