Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small red spots and big red splotches on succulent

Posted by veronicaduo california (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 17:38

Hello!

I got a pot of a variety of small succulents a few weeks ago. Small red spots and big red splotches have just appeared on the fleshy leaves of one of the succulents.

Any idea what could be wrong with the plant?

Thanks so much for your time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small red spots and big red splotches on succulent

Have you put it outside in full sun? If so, could be sunburn. Indoor plants need to be slowly acclimated to full sun, or they may burn.

Christopher

o

Well not so sure anything is wrong with this plant at all, it sorta looks like Golden Sedum which turns multiple colors at different times of the year and seasons which looks very nice with all the various colors.

I could be wrong & I stand to be corrected if so, enjoy your little beauty.

Greg

o

Yes, it has been out in full Southern California sun. We've had some days of hot weather well into the 70s. I will put it in the shade for a few days and see if it gets better.

Thanks so much for your suggestion!

This post was edited by veronicaduo on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:17

o

If it is indeed sunburn, remember any damage already done will not go away, not like sunburn on humans. :)

Christopher

o

Wah wah.

o

Veronicaduo, So heres my point Im adding a picture of a Golden Sedum that I purchased this morning at H/D it resembles the one you mentioned.
Hope it helps

Greg

o

Veronicaduo, here is the complete name of the plant in question, again hope it helps.

Greg

o

Thanks so much, Greg! Yes, it looks like the same plant... minus the red splotches and black/red dots. Enjoy it!

o

Veronica, the red spots on your sux is normal for us...a type of "freckling", for lack of a better term. The plant will look different through the year.

Greg, I believe both you & Veronica have Sedum nussbaumerianum. If it were Sedum adolphii, the tops of the leaves would be flat with a more defined edge (with rounded underside).

Here are several pix of my S. nussbaumerianum at different times (some diff plant), some with the freckling, some with California tan. =)
Click for larger views:

photo IMG_4897Snuss_zpsa2e92428.jpg  photo 0314060253SedumnusswAeonZwartkin_zps20dcd617.jpg  photo 1011053382Sedumnussbaumerianum_zpseed13659.jpg

photo 0816052461Sedumnussbaumerianumtan_zpsf20c007c.jpg  photo 0418040448Sedumnussbaumerianumtaggedadolphii_zpsc67eaab6.jpg

o

Thank you Rosemarie, You always have the correct info. and I admired your knowledge which is why I joined this web site, to learn & grow along with my plants.

thanks again,
Greg

o

Ah! So glad to hear the plant is OK despite the splotches and spots. We're about to get a few days of rain (finally!). I've read that overwatering succulents is not good. Should I try to keep it out of the rain and maintain the regular watering (once a week)?

Thanks so much, Rosemarie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here