Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaktuskris

Red Jade Leaf Bottom

kaktuskris
11 years ago

Pinched back a compact leaf Jade and noticed the nice red on the underside of the leaves...If only the top were like this.

Christopher

Comments (14)

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

From Norma Los Angeles, The cold westher may be cuse, I have a red leaf
    Crassuls ovata with ruby red leaves, I think to many different growing conditions cause this. cold, water, inherited form, or type, fertilizer, soil mix. your mix.l The color doesn't look like ruby, like good red wine/ or blood red, that like more brown. I can't give you a response that you can take to the bank. I would need to see the whole plant, soil, pot, you did the right thing cutting of the tips in winter, Crassula are winter growers.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Very pretty Christopher...I know what you mean, that would be awesome if the colors were on top too :o)

Too bad you can't plant it upside down,lol...

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This Jade of mine is red on the tops now too...

Christopher

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Very nice!
    Which one is this, Christopher?

Josh

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is none other than the 'Rubra' cutting Norma sent me a couple of years ago now, maybe, when I sent her a cutting from the original plant of the cutting in the first photo. It loves that window, as does the 'Skinny Fingers,' as you call it, that I posted a photo of recently.

Christopher

11 years ago

I thought it might be, but didn't want to guess incorrectly ;-)

It reminds me a bit of a Jade I "rescued" five years ago...you might remember this one. The plant looks completely different now, of course. Pic taken 2/17/2008:

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Josh, I am curious to see what that Jade of yours looks like now, five years later....

Christopher

11 years ago

I don't have a current pic, but here's one from last year - it's the one on the right. As you can see, it is re-growing leaves after a pruning. I am fairly convinced that it is a 'Crosby's Compact' - as is the other one pictured. One of my most colorful Jades.

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Josh, the leaves in the older photo look too big and long to be 'Crosby's Compact' to me, I could be wrong though. I thought the cutting I posted in the first photo was that variety, but the leaves are much smaller than on your plant.

Christopher

11 years ago

But look at the growth on the plant now...much smaller and more compact. I think it was distorted from growing in low-light conditions.

Josh

• dan4279
    11 years ago

I have a jade that I got at Wal-Mart several years back. The leaves are very compact, so I've always assumed it was a crosby's compact, but I don't know for sure. This winter it's been in my cool basement (50-60 degrees) and it has developed a deep red color on the tops and bottoms of the leaves. I'm thinking it's because of the cool temps. Here's a pic of the top of the plant.

Dan

• dan4279
    11 years ago

...and here's the whole plant (or plants...there's 2 in this pot).

11 years ago

Yep, looks like a 'Compact' to me, too.
    Excellent color. When temps are cool and the sun is bright, I get the best color from mine. Chris, sorry for the partial hijacking of your Thread (I just can't get enough of these various, small-leafed red colored Jades). This is why I pruned mine back - the limbs were getting too long.

11 years ago

...and one for good measure. A cutting from my sister's Compact Jade. Her plant has an especially droopy habit and develops strong purple coloration on the top and bottom of the leaves. This is an old pic, but it shows the possible color saturation quite well. Dry, cold, and sunny = intense color.