Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemariero6

Alphabet Game: Letter C

rosemariero6
12 years ago

Okay, it seems the letter B has slowed down some now...so on to the 'C' plants!

Post your pix of plants starting with the letter C. It would be nice to keep it to genus names, because there really are a lot that begin with 'C'. But, if you don't have any...species, common name or cultivar beginning with the letter 'C' will do. :)

It should be a plant you own now or your plant from the past. Have fun! And, yes, it's okay to post the same plant as someone else!

I'll start with a Copiapoa. I can't remember the species name, but I think it starts with an 'h'. :) Hey, double points...there's a Crassula in the background of one pic!

Click for larger view:

{{gwi:494147}} {{gwi:494148}}

Comments (45)

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

This is Cephalophyllum alstonii

{{gwi:494149}}

A member of the ice plant family

Penny

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Crassula ovata, 'Hummel's Sunset'
    {{gwi:494150}}From My Pictures

Christopher

• andrewofthelemon
    12 years ago

Crassula Ovata again.
    Old pic, it's a little bigger now.
    {{gwi:468630}}

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Alright! Here are my C's:

Cereus
    Cereus forbesii monstrose 'Ming Thing'
    {{gwi:494151}}
    My 'Ming Thing' last fall; she seems somewhat dehydrated/withered now, and I can't seem to shake her out of it.

Chamaelobivia
    Chamelobivia x 'Rose Quartz'
    {{gwi:494152}}
    Another photo from last fall/winter; this little guy is pretty sun-stressed now, and has turned a very deep burgundy color - so much so that I wonder if he's ok.

Cotyledon
    Cotyledon orbiculata flanaganii 'Narrow Leaf Pig's Ear'
    {{gwi:494153}}
    Yet another photo from last fall/winter. Like the 'Ming Thing', this guy seems fairly dehydrated, and I can't seem to correct it.

Crassula
    Crassula arborsences 'Silver Dollar Jade'
    {{gwi:494154}}
    One of my Valentine's Day presents. :)

Crassula 'Moonglow'
    {{gwi:494155}}
    Originally part of a pair, I lost her twin over a year ago to mealies. I was, fortunately, able to save this one.

Crassula ovata
    {{gwi:494156}}

Crassula ovata variegata
    {{gwi:494157}}

Crassula peforata
    {{gwi:494158}}

Crassula perforata variegata
    {{gwi:494159}}

Crassula tetragona
    {{gwi:494160}}
    No, not some freak hybridization. They (Lowes) had put it on display right next to a fairly hairy cactus of some sort (probably a Mammillaria).

Crassula 'Tom Thumb'
    {{gwi:494161}}

Crassula 'Dubia'
    {{gwi:494162}}
    The green arrow points to the 'Dubia', and the red arrow is pointing to the 'Ming Thing'; the arrangement was just too cute for me to crop. (This photo is from last fall; sadly, my 'Dubia' and most of the 'Cobwebs' are no longer with us.)

Cremnosedum
    Cremnosedum 'Little Gem'
    {{gwi:494163}}

*CG*

• caudex1
    12 years ago

Ceraria namquensis
    {{gwi:494164}}

Ceraria pygmeae
    {{gwi:468616}}

Cyphostemma symulans
    {{gwi:468614}}

Cyphostemma hardyi
    {{gwi:494165}}

• dellis530
    12 years ago

Rosemarie - That would be a Copiapoa hypogea (sp.)

Heres my "C"s

Denise

Copiapoa tenuissima monstrose
    {{gwi:494166}}
    Dyckia x Caberae
    {{gwi:494167}}

Cibirhiza albersiana
    {{gwi:494168}}

• katluvr
    12 years ago

Hi Rosmarie, that is such a pretty yellow bloom so springtime!

Penny, WOWOW what a neat plant I have never seen such , the color is just beautiful.

Christopher, that is such a cute jade plant and it looks so nice in that little pot!

Andrew, thats a very nice jade you have.

*CG*, holy cow girl you have a great collection and this is only the C's! Your silver dollar jade is my faverite, I have never seen one here before, coarse we don't get a lot of neat plants in these parts.

Hi Keith, your plants are as always picture perfect I am crazy about your cyphostemma!

I dont have many C plants and my stuff is still dormant I may have kept them to dry this winter?

Cephalopentandra ecirrhosa, I see it is starting to show some green! yay!
    {{gwi:494169}}
    {{gwi:494170}}
    crown of thorns blooming

some of my crown of thorns collection.
    {{gwi:494171}}
    Calibanus hookeri{{gwi:494172}}
    Calibanus hookeri
    Cissus tuberosa dormant.
    {{gwi:494173}}

• katluvr
    12 years ago

Hi Denise. love your dyckia, and the cibirhiza, anything with a caudex!

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Kat: Wow! That is quite a collection of Crown-of-Thorns! :)

*CG*

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Katluvr,

Yes, that IS quite a collection or Euphorbia milii! Are they all different? A mix of colours and small and large blooms?

By the way, what are the plants to the left of your COTs? Pretty cool plant!

Christopher

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Denise, thank you for the pic of your Dyckia x Caberae! La di dah, I'm a broken record... "What a beautiful Dyckia, Denise! Blah blah!" :)

So, let's see what I can pluck up for a few pictures... Cereus peruvianus 'Monstrose' from dear Stanley, C. 'Ivory Pagoda,' Cotyledon 'Happy Young Lady,' and C. cotyledonis.

{{gwi:494174}} {{gwi:494175}} {{gwi:494176}}
    {{gwi:494177}} {{gwi:494178}} {{gwi:494179}}
    {{gwi:494181}} {{gwi:494182}} {{gwi:494183}}

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Jessica, your Cereus forbesii monstrose is beautiful...hope it stays healthy or, if ill, returns to good health. I love that plant and will have to snatch one up sometime.

• andrewofthelemon
    12 years ago

Calibanus hookeri
    I WANT THIS PLANT!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

Cylindropuntia Subulata and Cerus Peruvianus Monstrose 'Mini'
    (hope to have right names-if not, correct me please):

{{gwi:494184}}

• katluvr
    12 years ago

HI all, Great C plants! *CG* Thanks, the crown of thorns have really grown good for me , i kinda got carried away, i've got so many now!

Hi Christopher, yes they are some yellow and different hades of red and 2 tone one real pretty speckled one and one that is green!I have some with tiny little blooms and some of them are almost the size of a half dollar, they have huge stems on them. but most are about the size of a quarter.Here is a couple of pics I cant find them all right now.
    This one is called thai spring
    {{gwi:494185}}
    {{gwi:494186}}
    {{gwi:494187}}

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Cylindropuntia Imbricata
    {{gwi:494188}}

Chad,

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

Awesome C-shots everybody! Sorry I'm late to the party. I'll make up for it with a row and a half of thumbnails.

{{gwi:494189}} {{gwi:494190}} {{gwi:494191}} {{gwi:494192}} {{gwi:494193}} {{gwi:494194}} {{gwi:494195}} {{gwi:494196}} {{gwi:494197}} {{gwi:494198}} {{gwi:494199}} {{gwi:494200}} {{gwi:494201}}

Here we have Crassula streyi, Copiapoa haseltoniana, Cheiridopsis excavata, Cerochlamys pachyphylla, assorted Conophytums, Crassula nudicaulis v. herrei, Cotyledon orbiculata var. oblonga 'Macrantha', Cephalophyllum pillansi, Chasmatophyllum musculinum, Carruanthus caninus, Cheiridopsis bruynsii, Cheiridopsis peculiaris, and a caterpillar. Looks pretty succulent doesn't he?

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OooEEe, Baby...lots of fabulous plants to comment on!! Cudos to all using thumbnails now! Way to go!

Penny, Gotta love the pink of your 'C'! I had not see this one before (your other post).

Christopher, nice 'Hummel's Sunset'!

Andrew, I knew someone would post a C. ovata! =)

Jessica, where to start? You reminded me of 'C' plants I forgot I had! What a wonderful collection! (I don't think your Cotyledon is the name you have for it. C. 'Tom Thumb' should look a pastel color. Is it? I'm not sure from the pic.) Thanks for the show! :)

Keith, I knew we could count on you to show plants with names we hardly ever hear of...great specimens & terrific pots! Love the last shot w/fuzzies & pokies in the pic!

Denise, thanks for the name-I had a brain fart. :P More unusual ones! Love the color of the Dyckia...I have a similar one~will show later.

Ronda, Wow, what a collection of Crown of Thorns! Thanks for the additional bloom pix! Neat!

Colleen, I think you're like me...I can't pick just one photo of each plant! LOL Another one I lost...'Ivory Pagoda'. (I think your Cotyledon is 'Oophylla'.)

Rina, nice plants! I think the 1st one is going by Austrocylindropuntia subulata these days. Not so sure the other one is named correctly...but can't say for sure which, or if it is a Cereus. (An FYI, if you're interested: the plant's species name~2nd one~is never capitalized)

Chad that is one POKEY plant you have there! :P

Ryan, Neat plants! Great to see your plant production, babies & otherwise! Thanks for naming them all-I see one I've wanted a long while: Cheiridopsis peculiaris! Cool caterpillar! (Also some new names in there for me! )

Okay...my plants (names on the pix)...several Crassula...'Campfire' from Feb (end of 2nd row) & Apr of 09:

Click for larger view

{{gwi:494202}} {{gwi:494203}} {{gwi:494204}} {{gwi:494205}}

{{gwi:494206}} {{gwi:494207}} {{gwi:494208}} {{gwi:494209}}

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, wasn't finished...clicked Submit button. Guess I'll come back later with others.
    Here's a few more:

{{gwi:494210}} {{gwi:494211}} {{gwi:494212}}

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now for the Cotyledons:

{{gwi:494213}} {{gwi:494214}} {{gwi:494215}} {{gwi:494216}}

{{gwi:494217}} {{gwi:494218}} {{gwi:494219}} {{gwi:494221}}
    {{gwi:494223}} {{gwi:494224}}

Ceropegia

{{gwi:494225}} {{gwi:494226}} {{gwi:494227}} {{gwi:494228}}

xCremnosedum

{{gwi:494229}}

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Wow, Rosemarie, we can't compete with you! What a collection!

Christopher

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Christopher! I don't think of it as a competition. I just figure since I have a gazillion pix of my plants, I might as well share my obsessed collection with folks who appreciate them, having the same habit...er, hobby. :D

(There are MANY more in the letter 'C'!)

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Oh, thank you for the ID! And, wow, yes, there are so many "C" plants, but it's just a matter of how obsessed you are/how many of them you've actually got! :) Evidently I don't have enough when it comes down to it. If only I were able to plant in the ground, I'd be more equipped to buy like a nutcase.

The 'Morgan's Beauty' is stunning, and the Cotyledons have some gorgeous blooms. ... I just want us to get to "H" so everyone's forced to come out of the woodwork with massive amounts of Haw pics. :)

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

Ro,
    Your Cotyledons are magnificent! Also, the C. deceptor... whoa Nelly!
    I'd be glad to send you a pair of the peculiaris when they're ready.

• caudex1
    12 years ago

Conophytum springbokensis
    {{gwi:468823}}

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, well, surprising to me, Cotyledon 'Happy Young Lady' is acknowledged on Dave's Garden. I'm having a tough time discerning differences between it and Cotyledon 'Oophylla' based on some images. Hrmm. It's certainly not a plant I know anything about.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

Caudex

Love to see photos of any of your plants - so beautifully displayed! (Hope I remember correctly - you make the pots? Beautiful...)

Rosemary, thank you for correcting, I appreciate - anytime. The Cereus had a name tag when I bought it- I guess that still could be wrong?

Thnx.

Rina

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Ryan! And doubly so...for offer of the C.p.! :P

Another fabulous potted specimen, Keith!

Colleen, I saw that at DG, but I have never trusted IDs there (like any place these days) ~thy upload whatever they "think" it is, & don't always check for accuracy. If/when it blooms, post some detailed pix & I'll tell you how to measure-we can check against some facts.

Yes, Rina, tags are often incorrect. When I get a few minutes, I'll do some research & get back to you. But, we're painting the living room today & I need to remove stuff from the walls.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

A little late to the 'C' party...

Commiphora humbertii (dead) or dormant...preferably the latter
    {{gwi:494231}}

Commiphora monstruosa
    {{gwi:494232}}

Cereus peruvianus monstrose
    {{gwi:494233}}

T

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Rosemarie: Amazing collection you have there. But it sure helps to live in southern California!

katluvr: Nice COT cyathia! I like the ones with the largest blooms the best, the Thai hybrids. Again, what are those plants next to your COTs, cacti?

Tom: Cereusly, one nice Cereus you have there!

Christopher

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Never too late, Tom!! A couple more I don't see much...your Commiphora! And that Cereus is HUGE! Nice plants!

Thanks, Christopher! Yes, being in so. Cal is 90% of it!

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yeah, Christopher...in case katluvr doesn't come back with an answer for you soon...I believe those plants to the left of the COTs are Myrtillocactus geometrizans forma cristata.

• katluvr
    12 years ago

Hi Christopher, a so sorry I ment to answer your Question and then I got side tracked and forgot! The older I get the more I suffer from CRS! Rosemarie is correct those are myrtillocactus geometrizans crests I have several, they are one of my favorite plants and I will be rooting more this summer.
    Tom beautiful cereus, that is now on my want list, great bonsai plants !

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

There sure are a lot of great Crassulas!

Crassula orbicularis and Little Gem encroaching on each other's territory.
    {{gwi:494234}}

Penny

• longaeva54
    12 years ago

Cereus peruvianus monstrose
    {{gwi:494235}}

• Astroknot
    12 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm a newb to this forum in Garden Web and I was passing through, but I just wanted to say that I am enjoying these Alphabet Game threads very much. Your pictures are amazing! I have never seen so many unusual (and beautiful) plants. It's a real pleasure to scroll through these pictures, and by the way I especially love seeing the plants in pots in your home instead of those super pristine catalogs, they just feel more alive and have more personality when they're hanging in front of a window or draping over a door.

These threads are a lot of fun, wish I had more interesting plants to share with you too, but thank you for showing us yours!

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome, Astroknot (fun name) & thanks!! I'm wondering...would you like them if they had spider webs all over them & grass & weeds growing up through them?! LOL Ha ha...because I just finished shooting a mess of pix of plants just like that! As far from pristine as you can get!

Even though you don't have plants to share...if you're going to hang around the forum, you could go post your mugshot on "The Face Returns, pt2" thread...which would help folks get to know you better! There are many more letters of the alphabet coming!! =D

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Hello Astroknot! You might see a succulent or cactus at a store that you like and buy it. Of course, one plant will lead to another and you know how that goes. It's a nice hobby. Glad you enjoy the photos!

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Thanks Rosemarie and katluvr. Just love the looks of that cactus!

Christopher

• Astroknot
    12 years ago

Rosemarie -- thanks, I will go introduce myself in "The Face Returns" thread once I get myself organized around here (gotta find a good mug of myself, hah!). And the overgrowth and spiderwebbing happens to my plants all the time, but I do love a good "spring cleaning" now and then where I pick out the weeds and repot and give my plants a nice trim.

Pennyhal -- oh, I know all about the "I'll just buy this one plant" because I get sucked in all the time! I'm more of a "growing things from seed" rather than buying ones from a store, but I always, always end up with way more plants than I can take care of. Unfortunately, that usually means that they don't do so well if I get busy:(. I'm in the process of rebuilding my garden, so hopefully I'll be able to share pictures in a few months once they get going.

• longaeva54
    12 years ago

Cleistocactus jujuiensis Cristata
    {{gwi:494236}}
    Cereus Peruianus Monstrosa variegata
    {{gwi:494237}}
    Cereus forbesii Spiralis
    {{gwi:494238}}
    Aztekium ritterii Polycephala
    {{gwi:494239}}
    Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus middle one
    {{gwi:494240}}

• longaeva54
    12 years ago

I made an error,the last two photos for Letter A.

• jeepman69
    12 years ago

Here is a couple of my "C" plants.
    {{gwi:494241}}

{{gwi:494242}}

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very nice plants, longaeva (what's your name?) & Glenn! I don't think I've ever seen a variegated monstrose plant. :) Glenn, I see we have some of the same plants.

Here's another batch of Crassula...names on the pix:
    Click for larger view:

{{gwi:494243}} {{gwi:494244}} {{gwi:494245}}

{{gwi:494246}} {{gwi:494247}} {{gwi:494248}}

{{gwi:494249}} {{gwi:494250}} {{gwi:494251}}

I still have another group to post. It'll have to wait!

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Love the Hummel's Sunsets colors. Pagoda Village was aptly named! Waiting for the next batch, Rosemarie.

Penny

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm