Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I feel silly asking this...(new gardener re: Jades)

Posted by goddess9 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 18:28

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

See that "stalk" on the left? It's bending around the others and I don't see it growing very well like that. I don't generally like cutting anything off, but would it be appropriate?

BTW, hi everyone. I'm new! I have only had plants in the house for about 5 months but I just love them and it takes a lot not to want to rescue every plant I see in the store!

I'm sorry the pic is so huge!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I feel silly asking this...(new gardener re: Jades)

Goddess, your plant is just fine the way it is.... leave it alone. As the stalks get longer, begin plucking out the juvenile growth which will cause the ends to branch. Welcome to your new home.

o

Thank you! I'm a worrywart but this makes me feel better. I will leave it be. :)

o

Don't know about plucking off or even thinking that now for this, just pls. turn the pot. The plant's leaning towards the light & if you turn it from time to time it won't be noticeable.

Am hoping that plant has a hole in the bottom of the pot. Since you said you're new, not sure you know that, but it's an absolute must, enjoy!

o
Thanks

I bought it and it looked like that. :( And yes, it has a drainage hole! All of my pots do, I made sure of that. Thanks!

o

Don't feel silly. I'm a newbie too and ask what must be silly questions all the time. The people on this Forum are very understanding and knowledgeable and helpful and you will appreciate all the support they give you.

Take some time and search this forum for posts on jades and you will find some glorious photos of different jades and more info on them. You'll just want to run to the store and buy more!
Penny

o

goddess:

Alternately, you could repot each individual stem to give yourself more plants, and to give each one more space to grow. Personally I prefer a single stem per pot. If you wanted to do this, wait a few months, and repot using a faster draining potting medium. Jades will not tolerate soggy soil.

Christopher

o

Penny, thank you! I have actually been skimming this site for maybe a few weeks. :)

Christopher, thank you as well. The jade was pictured right after a repot and the soil does indeed look soggy. It had nothing for a while and was dried out so I tried to water it until it drained out. Unfortunately, I do not recall any good places in Philadelphia to pick up more perlite, etc. To make my own mix.

It has since dried out and I do not plan on overeating it or any of my other plants. I'm watching for any loss of foliage or wrinkling and so far both of my succulents like the soil. Any advice would be wonderful.

o

Goddess, welcome to the boards! You are going to learn so much here! I'm fairly new myself :-)

o

Yes, Karen is correct. It is way too soon to be "sculpting" your plant. The point is sometimes they get etiolated (leggy)especially without enough light. The 1st pic is just one of my common jades which I try to keep in reasonable shape while the 2nd is in dire need of a whack job! And as others have said no question is silly... only if I'm the one asking and that's cuz I'm brain-dead most of the time!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Gosh BikerDoc,

Wonderfully compact growth you have there -- very nice indeed!

o

Thanks Karen. As you know, this only comes with "grooming". Otherwise my jades all look like the 2nd picture... all leggy and disfigured. Wait until you see my project for this spring....

o

Thanks, biker! Those jades are beautiful...even your unruly one. :)

I'm hoping mine gets a tad bigger within the year but I have read they are slow growers.

o

Goddess, as a newbie you must learn the Golden Rule of watering succulents, if no one has informed you of it yet. It is, "When in doubt, don't."

And remember, Jades will survive in lower light, but will thrive in lots of sun. If you like the common variety, you will probably love some of the varieties like Gollum, Hobbit and Hummel's Sunset, as well as variegated forms.

Christopher

o

Thank you, Christopher. I was just checking my plants this morning and was leaning on trying to water because it looked a little dry. I didn't.

I have an eastern window that they're in. They seem to like it. :)

Lauren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here