Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brakelight plantlets ... how to root?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 18:48

A dear Texas lady who comes to the San Antonio Plant Swap mailed three Red yucca Brakelight plantlets that had formed on stem of her plant after blooming. She purchased it last year. I'm thrilled!

I've read that they don't form seeds, but hadn't heard anything about plantlet formation. My regular red yucca produces seeds only. So I won't be removing the stems too soon after flowering if this proves to be a habit of the brakelight cultivar and I want more plants at that point.

What's the best way to insure they root? Should the cactus soil in the pot be moistened or dry? Or should they go in soil at all before roots show? Light shade? I have root tone if that would help.

Thank you!

This post was edited by roselee on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 20:14

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brakelight plantlets ... how to root?

Well, I guess it's pretty much a no brainer. They were dipped in 'root tone', placed in cactus soil, not watered, and placed in bright shade. It may be three years, or more (?), until they bloom, but here's hoping ... :-)

o

I have never rooted these type of bulbils off of hesperaloes, Ragna, but I imagine that rootone and placed in a fast draining soil and misted. It might take awhile till you feel some resistance or see a few nubs. It looks like there are some beginnings of nubs on the two.. Once they spring switch to watering. Agave bulbils are pretty quick. I have never used the rootone on them but that's not to say it might not help. I just don't know. Not part of my experience.

o

Thanks Mara! I hadn't thought about the misting, but it makes sense.

Thanks too for the reminder that they're called 'bulbils'. I had forgotten.

o

If you make the medium loose and granular, you can check on the roots easily. It is the right time of year. They should be starting to make a move with spring. Now if we could only get some rain. I am not a very good mister. I forget.

o

If you make the medium loose and granular, you can check on the roots easily. It is the right time of year. They should be starting to make a move with spring. Now if we could only get some rain. I am not a very good mister. I forget.

o

Mara, at one of our plant swaps I received some plants that you had rooted. They were almost like ... suspended ~ ! -- above some loose gravely stuff and had rooted. That was the best lesson in rooting succulents I could have ever received. :-)

o

Some succulents don't need soil to root. I often use absorbent rocks to creat dark moist atmosphere . If this is what you are talking about. That works with echeverias and cuttings of graptoverias..

I think I am almost finished throwing out all my dead agaves. Some are still dying. SHEESH.

o

Yes, succulents ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here