Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New plants and Help Identifying!

Posted by teenagegreenthumb Kansas (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 19:15

So, I went to Home Depot to buy a cactus. Just one cactus. But when I got there, they moved the entire succulent section to the cold entry way. Now I know these plants are hardy plants, but it is cold in Kansas! The section was right next to the automatic doors and the wind had blown some little plants from the shelves. So I scooped them back up and began my cactus search, and this is what I ended up with:

My Rebutia Cactus:
Rebutia Cactus

Echeveria (not sure what species!)
Echeveria #2

Sempervium (not sure which kind):
Sempervium #2

And my beautiful mystery plant I simply could not pass up:
Mystery plant!

Side shot of the mystery plant, any guesses would be great:
Side shot mystery plant!!

The closet looking Echeveria I thought would be a Perle von Nurnberg, but I'm not so sure it is an Echeveria! As you can see, I have doubled my little plant collection in less than a month. Any guesses would be great thanks!

And here they are all together:

My newest plants!, Echeveria, Sempervium, Cactus, and mystery plant!

Thanks everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New plants and Help Identifying!

Hi...sorry I don't know the names of your cool new plants, and yes the last one is very nice I like that one, also the second plant... I'm posting to say I love your planter, very nice!!....linda

o

Thanks! I got it at one of the local antique shops, and I absolutely love it!

o

Ha ha...and so it begins! LOL "Just one cactus", huh? Wheee! Sorry I haven't gotten back to your other post just yet, Kayla. I'm sort of hopping around.

Now...I'm not too familiar with Rebutias...but that looks more like a Mammillaria to me. If/when it flowers, please repost a pic for ID.

The 2nd one is an Echeveria. I hesitate to say which, because there are a few that look similar. They've lumped E. lindsayana in with E. colorata now & E. chihuahuaensis is a possibility as well. If the tips were darker pink, I'd think it was E. 'Tippy'. Flowers may help get a better ID (you'll hear this a lot).

Your 3rd does not look like a Sempervivum to me. More like Echeveria setosa v. ciliata. Does it have little hairs (cilia) on the edges of the leaves (or all over the leaves)? Another clear pic may change my mind. :P

Your mystery plant at first glance, does look like it could be E. 'Perle von Nurnberg', but I believe it is xGraptoveria 'Fred Ives' (a cross of an Echeveria & a Graptopetalum).

I, too, like your planter, but some advice: make sure it has drain holes in it. Also, I'd advise not to have so much space for the plants-well maybe if you're careful how you water...they will fill in. BUT...the cactus should not be planted with those type succulents. You will want to keep it drier than the others.

o

Thanks! I didn't think the wrappers on the Home Depot plants were right. I have an Echeveria setosa and I don't think that's what the third one is, it does have a few hairs around it, much wispier then my other setosa, however that one is older so we'll see!! The last plant looks a lot like a few different Graptopetalum, thanks! And my dad helped me poke some holes in the toolbox before they were planted. I may go back and get a few more cacti and give them there own little home, we'll have to see! Thanks so much for your help!

o

I'm pretty sure that last one is a 'Perle von Nurnberg' and not a 'Fred Ives.' I could be wrong, but I have a few of each and it looks similar to my 'Perle von Nurnberg' offset and unlike my 'Fred Ives' cuttings.

o

Hey guys! Well rosemariero6 told me that I shouldn't have planted the cactus with those succulents, so I went back to home depot, got a succulent to take its place and I 'accidentally' got two more cacti! I will post pictures once I get them planted. You know you have a plant addiction when the people at Home Depot call you the cactus lady!

o

Ok, here are my newest plants.

Pachyphytum close up:
Pachyphytum

Browningla Cactus:
Browningla Cactus

Mammillaria:
Mammillaria

And here are all of my cacti in their home:
Cacti

And the latest Echeverias, Sempervium, and Pachyphytum:
Echeverias, Sempervium, Pachyphytum

I love the colors and textures of all of the different succulents! Thanks for your advice, rosemariero6! My cacti is now happy with all its friends!

o

The very first picture in this thread looks like a Mamillaria nejapensis, but I could be wrong. These are hard to ID. Thousands of mams. I am not that familiar with robutias. I just have the M. nejapensis 'Silver Arrows'. It has that orange brown tuft on the ends of the long upward curving needles that become more pronounced as it ages.

o

Thanks for the ID!! I think it is a Mamillaria now. But it isn't fuzzy like some pictures of Mammillaria nejapensises I'm seeing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here