Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redout

Help With Jades

redout
10 years ago

Hi. I've been perusing the jade section and have learned that I have lots to learn (and lots to do).
I have 1 mother jade that took a tumble a couple years ago. This led me to trim a bit and make clones. Those clones have become quite healthy (in my very limited opinion anyway - they're growing quite well). I have a total of 8 jades, 1 of which is the mother and the other 7 all cuttings from the mother.
Admittedly I have let them grow too wild and I am now in need of some guidance in how/where to chop. I have "pinched" growth buds in the past in an attempt to shorten the plants and thicken the stalk. I don't think it worked well.
The growing medium is Miracle Grow Moisture Control and Perlite, mixed insufficiently (if I had to guess it was roughly 75%:25%). I generally wait for the leaves to become softish and I generally don't water if the leaves are relatively plump. When I water I tend to soak the soil through, waiting for water to drain out the bottom, then try once more to make sure they're fully watered. If I had to guess, I say I water them every 6 weeks, but it certainly is never that regimented.

After reading the "Large Jade Whack" thread I came to realize I have some work to do. Of course I'm scared to cut too much (which I understand is nigh impossible) and I'm unsure about where to cut. On the mother, I'm interested in thickening the stalk and making the plant more healthy (right now it wants to topple, which makes me think it's dry, and clearly top-heavy). For the others, I think they're small enough that I could pretty much do whatever need be to make them healthy and "perfect".

I wanted to attach several photos of each, but it seems I can only attach 1 photo at a time, so I will reply to my original with side-views of each. Obviously I can add more photos if required.

Long post, so I'll recap briefly: Help! lol

Comments (8)

• redout
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh and I'm growing these all indoors, the bulk are in a west-facing window (no south-facing windows). Three of them are under a flourescent light in the kitchen.
    The next bunch are from the west-facing window.

• redout
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More from window.

• redout
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My kitchen trio.

• redout
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the mother from above. I forgot I recently gave away one of the small ones, so I only have 7 (not the 8 I originally mentioned).
    And in the kitchen trio, that *is* a Coke bottle and there *are* holes for drainage.

• redout
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the last post of pictures is this incredible out of control aloe which clearly needs help. I wasn't going to add this now but my wife insisted.
    We also have 4 Christmas cacti but I think we're doing fine with them - they bloom periodically, which is always very pretty and a nice surprise (3 different coloured flowers on 4 plants, 1 each of pink and red, and 2 white).
    And none of our plants receive fertilization (we only grow jade and Christmas cactus because we or the cat kill everything else).

TIA for your input!

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Your Jades would do much better with more light, and would benefit from being put outside when the weather is warm enough.

You need to correct the lighting situation or else when you 'whack' the mother plant, it will just grow back with the leggy stems as you have now. How many stems do you have in the pot of the mother plant? It seems to be more than one plant, if it were mine I would only leave one stem per pot, I think it is easier to get a thicker trunk that way. I would also add more perlite to your mix.

Christopher

• redout
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The mother has 4 stems but from one root. I've attached the best picture I can get of the base of the plant. Where they meet (or diverge?) is just below the surface of the soil. When I transplanted into this pot, I buried it a little bit as the single stem was very short, diverging early and I felt it needed the extra support.
    I do plan on changing the soil mix when I either repot, or just to change the soil and I intend to either add more perlite or try something of a gritty mix (if it's going outside, we get rain more than once every 6 weeks, so I'm expecting to need better drainage).
    I've put the large jade outside once but it seemed to get sunburned pretty quickly and the effect seemed to last for some time. The leaves looked like sunburned skin and developed a scab on its surface. That didn't seem like a good thing so I brought it back inside. It hasn't been outside since.
    I'm clearly unsure about when and how I should put it outside after that experience so I've been reluctant to even try again. My west-facing window gets a very good amount of sun in the spring/summer. I thought the plant started to grow tighter after I started pinching new growth in the past year or so. Prior to that - where you see the thicker stems with no leaves - I think that was because of several years ago when I didn't know anything about jades and assumed you just watered it and left it alone.
    While I'm reporting zone 7a, specifically I'm in Niagara Region (Ontario wine country). We have great success with our small vegetable gardening in the summer, frequently having warm temperatures into September (I'm just speaking to the temperatures we typically get in the summers here).

This post was edited by redout on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 0:00

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

You can't just plunge an indoor plant into full sunshine. When you bring a plant outdoors, start out in shade, and slowly acclimate it to more sun. But the spindly growth indicates your plant is not getting enough light. Look at your cuttings also. If they were receiving enough light, you wouldn't need stakes on all of them to keep them upright. And some of the larger stem on the right is shriveling, not a good sign, either incredibly dry or rot.

The soil is much too organic, and I personally prefer a clay pot for Jades. You could separate the stems with a knife as long as you keep some roots on each cut portion. No way around it, this plant needs a lot of work. To me a severe whacking is in order, but as I said, if you can't improve the lighting, things will revert to the current look over time.

Here is one of my Jades, here in zone 5/6 at best in southern New Hampshire. This happens to be a "Gollum" type Jade.

Christopher

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional