Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

Neem on Kalanchoe luciae?

Crenda 10A SW FL
10 years ago

I have been fighting aphids on everything this winter - not just my succulents. I start my day with a cup of coffee and a tour of plants to inspect for the buggers. Most of the plants I can soak with Bayer to kill off the aphids, and on my succulents I have been spraying with diluted alcohol.

This morning I found the inflorescence on my 3 K. luciae totally infested with plump yellow aphids. I don't know how I missed them until this morning! Most of the flowers are spent, so I cut all of the inflorescence(s) off and Bayered them in the garbage can. It's been spitting rain all day and we are expecting storms tonight - which are happening now - so I did nothing else in the way of treatment.

Is using Neem a good idea? Is a soapy mix better? Or maybe an alcohol spray is best? These guys are in full sun and there are lots of other succulents around them. I figure they are in peril as well. Most importantly - should the plants be rinsed after whatever treatment is best?

Thanks for any help offered!! There are a ton of babies on these plants and I'd like to save everyone.

Here's a picture. Looks like a little worm or caterpillar, too.

Comments (4)