Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
americangolden

What is this plant???

americangolden
12 years ago

Hello,

I got this as a gift today and was told that it was a succulent. I'm not sure if that is correct but that is all the information I was given. There is no name or any information with the plant. I hope someone can identify it because it is blooming right now.

Thanks!

{{gwi:496327}}

{{gwi:496330}}

{{gwi:496332}}

{{gwi:496334}}

Let me know if you want any other angles of pictures. Thanks again.

Comments (17)

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

Hello! Your plant is Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi. Yours seems to have a nice purple and teal coloring I haven't exactly seen before.

If you pop off one of those leaves and set it on soil in partial shade, it will grow 1-5 new plants from the one leaf.

• americangolden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your quick reply. I am happy to now know what this plant is so I can care for it. Thank you again!

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi AG,

I agree w/ that ID; handy that it's in bloom, made it even easier. Lovely plant, will want lots of light & fast draining mix. Enjoy!

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Remarkable pictures. Norma

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Are those little branches popping out from the stem on the sides? Can they be cut and rooted too?
    Penny

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

American: I also concur with the ID - definitely K. fedtschenkoi. I have one, although it's not nearly as big or as beautiful as yours! Hanzrobo is right about producing more plants from the leaves. This is truly a wonderful gift you got!

*CG*

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

Hello;

would it be possible to ID this one pls? Has few long stems hanging (longest is just about 16in. from top of the pot - is it better to shorten it?)
    Thnx.

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

sorry, I keep messing up...here the photo:

{{gwi:73902}}

Thank you again. Rina

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Rina, FYI, in the future, it would be best to start your own post/thread for plants you want ID'd. Then you could get the responses e-mailed to you, as well as people finding the post (with less difficulty) later on.

Your plant is Sedum burrito. :D

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, thank you I did not realize that.
    And thank you for ID, should have look harder on web...I appreciate you taking time to answer.

Rina

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Glad to help out, Rina! You're welcome! :)

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

The first picture is ID correctly by the group, I don't know if will live with your cold. Give it protection, it loves the sun. If it gets to cold it could suffer from frost bite. Put it behind another plant if you plan to grow it outside. or against a warm wall or protect with a covering. Norma

• dellis530
    12 years ago

Yet another "weed" I have here. Its a very fast grower (comparitively speaking). I've cut it right down to a stump and it starts growing from there! Those thin "branches" are arial roots and I've trimmed them without harming the plant and I've also taken cuttings at the root and buried the root with the cutting and it took off. One more thing, if your plant is in peat like mix, try to shake off as much as possible and repot in fast draining soil. My two cents.

Denise

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Good growing information, Denise. :) Since you mentioned aerial roots, I took a look...but don't see any of those in any of the pix. Maybe you are referring to the branches where blooms once grew?

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Denise: Next time you cut your "weed" right on down to a stump, if you're not keen on keeping the cuttings, I'll be happy to take some off your hands. :) I love fedtschenkoi.

*CG*

• americangolden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello everyone!

Thank you for all of the wonderful replies. I am thankful you all knew what this plant was. It was a tremendous help to me.

Yesterday I made the journey to go around and find ingredients for Al's Gritty Mix. I have successfully transplanted this plant and I think it's going to do great in this mix :). There was a bunch of smaller plants with roots growing when I took the plant out of it's old pot so I repotted them and hope they all take off.

Once the weather warms up a bit I would be happy to send these small cuttings that are already rooted to anyone if they are interested? Here are some updated pictures. Have a great weekend everyone and it looks like the weather is starting to get better outside which means we are that much more closer to beautiful summer weather :D.

{{gwi:496336}}

{{gwi:496338}}

{{gwi:496340}}

{{gwi:496342}}

{{gwi:496344}}

{{gwi:496346}}

• aseedisapromise
    12 years ago

Great job with the cuttings. If you try to save every little bit of this plant that tries to grow, you will have no room for anything else. I really like the flowers on mine, that bloom every Jan here inside. When it is done blooming, it starts to grow new shoots from the bloom stalks, which makes a wild looking plant, so I just cut them off and root them, and when they are rooted I put them and maybe the bald old pot outside to grow for the summer after it is done with frost. The plant makes a lot of aerial roots which are not so handsome, so I tend to usually just grow out the cuttings to bloom the next Jan, but sometimes I keep the old part.