Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Did I Miss Something?

While I'm somewhat new here and haven't gotten used to all of you, I have to admit I must be very brain-dead. For the life of me I can't figure out how all of you know everybody's first name. I don't mean your "handle"; I mean "Jack and Jill and Bonny" and well you get the point. I'd love to call each of you, unless there is a privacy issue, by your real name. How do I do this? Anyway, I'm Howard, AKA BikerDoc. I know I'm probably being silly stupid.... sorry, it's cuz I have a major B-day coming up and it does silly stupid things to me.... I guess.

Comments (56)

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Howard,
    I learn names the same way as Colleen, bit by bit over time.
    It's completely up to the individual, of course, if they want to share their real name and I respect that. I don't sign my name to every post but I sometimes do and our friends here are pretty observant.
    For a long time people called me Hanz and I don't mind at all when they still do. And Denise, I'd be glad to call you Succulent Goddess if that is your wish.
    -Ryan

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Howard: I've learned names the same way most everyone else here has. I see them in other posts, or sometimes I get PMs from folks. I've more or less followed a loose guideline (one I established for myself) that I'll address someone by their handle until they post to me using their actual name - it's almost like they've then given me permission to use it as well. And sometimes I'll revert to handles if I'm feeling goofy, playful, or mischievous. (It makes more sense in my head, just trust me.)

Truth be told, I've actually made myself a list now of people's names and handles (and locations), so I don't get confused (and so I'm not asking the same person over and over, "Where are you located?/What zone are you in?/What's the weather doing out by your way?")

I'm Jessica, btw. You're welcome to call me that, or CG, or the full "chaparralgirl," or some other play on it. Whichever you prefer. :)

*CG*

• dellis530
    12 years ago

Good idea, making a list, I can use it for cuttings promised too. I go by what I've learned first, you will be forever CG the one I have zone envy of, to me.

Denise

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all of you for putting up with this silliness. It's just I like to know something about the friends I make here.... it just adds another dimension to the whole thing.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Howard,
    When I first joined,I like others, wrote down the names to go with the forum Id.just felt it was more polite to call My forum friends by real names. Ones I don't know yet,I use their initials. This is a good question.
    Sharon

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

My first name is Philippus, but Brad is easier ;-)

Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Brad,
    I believe I will just call you Brad........lol.

Sharon

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Brad, I am with Sharon, we call you Brad.....
    I am still don't remember most but a very few names on this forum. I am not very good with names and don't visit the forum very often. So each visit I read from the beginning of the thread and learn names all over again.
    Marie

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

I hope folks realize I was just kidding. Paracelsus was the adopted name of Phillipus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Honeheim b. 1493 d. 1541. Paracelsus was the first real scientist/physician, a man I admire greatly for his revolutionary understanding of the natural world. In some other online places folks simply call me Para.

My real name IS Brad. :-)

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Howard, Before I forget...'cause I do that a lot...HAPPY BIRTHDAY...whenever it is & however "major" it will be!

I've been on the forums since '96, with a hiatus (my boycott) from '06 till sometime last year because of new company taking over. So, lots of folks have come & gone during that time. There's a handful of the old regulars still around. They changed all our usernames to lower case & they made folks re-register. I added "Ro" to the end of my name so I could search for my posts easily-not to be confused with another Rosemarie. When I tried to re-register, they wouldn't let me use my old name, so a # got tacked on the end. (Sheesh, I digress!)

I'll echo what many others have already said...if folks sign their name, I try to remember it & use it (sometimes easier than a long username). My name is long, so others sometimes shorten it to "RoRo" or "RoMa". I like to know (in my mind) whether I'm speaking to a man or woman. Not that it makes a difference, it's just a visual thing. So, sometimes names can used for either gender (like Chris, Terry, Kelly, etc.)~I just like to know.

If I know their name but they don't use it, I won't...until they do...or it seems as if it's okay to do so because someone is using it.

So, I made a list this morning...off the top of my head, folks who are frequenting the forums lately & some others that I recall or from the near past (obviously, not inclusive & I hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings-those who got left off). You can save/add to/print/ it if you like.

In no particular order: (please let me know if I got anyone's name wrong)

bikerdoc5968 \= Howard cactusmcharris \= Jeff lzrddr \= Geoff (Palmbob on other forums) \-unless I'm wrong about this! pirate\_girl \= Karen paracelsus \= Brad dellis530 \= Denise (I've been trying to figure out which Denise you are, from the old days, since I recall there being a few. What "handle" did you use back then?) chaparralgirl \= Jessica (Just found out yesterday when Jeff used\-LOL) teatree \= Colleen CorpsmanCooper \= Erin (question: wehn did they start letting people use caps again\-in their usernames?) hijole \= Greg hanzrobo \= Ryan squishyplants \=Matthew kaktuskris \= Christopher ssk22 \= Sharon ilovetogrow \=Paula Beachplants \= Rian bahia \= David wantonamara \= Mara (?) penfold2 \= Chris amanzed \= Dean greenclaws \= Gill ltran54 \= Marie hopefulauthor \= Toni seedmoney \= Julie (I'm pretty sure) emerald1951 \= Linda greenman28 \= Josh brodyjames \= Nancy caudex1 \= Keith minime8484 \= Tristan hadrian \= Bri (Brian?) (Many listed are recent users. Of course, if we were to go back futher, there would be lots more!)

Those with names within their username:
    rosemariero6 (some call me RoRo or RoMa)= Rosemarie
    cactusjordi = Jordi or Jurgen
    pennyhal = Penny
    meyer_mike = Mike
    tom_termine = Tom
    greenjay = Jay
    kathi_mdgd = Kathi
    paul_ = Paul
    stanofh = Stan

Ones that remain a mystery to me: hoovb ChemGarner ggarner marquest (Audwoman, Cinta) xerophyte (x)
  • Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Rosemarie,
    So who am I, chop liver? Well,
    Call me Stush, polish for Stanley, but I'm not polish. I think.
    Anyway Howard, As I emailed you, be careful what all information you give out. It is there forever. And I did make some enemies on another web site who gathered all my post even from here and was cyber stocking me for a while. They finally gave up at least for now.
    I have made some really great friends here and I learned so much in the past year that overwhelms my past 40 some years of gardening. I have also included you on my list of friendly contacts.
    Stush

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Eww, yuck...certainly NOT chopped liver, Stush! I see I wrote your name down-saw you used Stush-was going to put you in the "mystery" section. LOL Then I got sidetracked. Good to know you, Stanley!

Another thing you cannot remove...imbedded photos! This is why, most times, I use clickable thumbnails. So, if need be, I can move them in my photo-hosting site & poof...they are no longer on the forum. The TOS here used to say/imply that they owned any pix we posted. NOT! Okay, I went off on another subject. Sorry!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Thanks Howard for the tread, and thank to Rosemarie for that list!
    BTW I got my username from a UK children's TV programme that my 3 used to watch! Greenclaws was a huge, fat green creature who lived in a greenhouse. He used to plant seeds inside a 'Riddle Tree' and his pet owl then asked him a question. His assistant Iris, translated the 'owl-speak' and if he got the answer correct, only then could he remove the sprouted plant...all very confusing for a child I guess but luckily they have all turned into normal adults with their gardening genes fully intact.

So, despite spending a lot of my spare time in the g/h, I am neither male, fat or green, plus I tend not to plant seeds inside a tree of any type! lol!
    Gill from the UK.

Here's a pic of 'Greenclaws', Iris and the owl.
    {{gwi:496737}}

• dellis530
    12 years ago

Hi Rosemarie, I didnt confuse you with the other Ro, if you have the pool in your yard then its the Rosemarie I remember. My old "handle" was cactuscrazy I think. I boycotted too and then went to that "other" site where alot of ppl went but its not as friendly. Oh and I think youre talking about "Denise from Omaha" thats not me. I seem to remember a emyemy or something, he had awesome plants.

Denise

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Gill, great story behind your username!! Love it! What a character! So, does your name sound like Jill? Or is it short for Gillian?

Denise, I figured you were not Denise from Omaha. Yes, I'm the one with the pool. :) I see you used cactuscrazy at TGF (in 2010)& had one post. I wasn't sure who you were at that time...maybe because your name was different than it was here. Where do you live? Is it thegardenforums you were referring to above or one of the other places? There are lots of nice folks over there at TGF, I think. Yes, Emyemy posts over at TGF. He's on Facebook now too.

• dellis530
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, I dont think I've posted here for years so I dont think that was me in 2010, its an obvious handle maybe someone else used it? I am talking about TGF I just joined that one too. I seem to remember when the the forum was created there was some issue about the more "serious" collectors went there. That intimmidated me so I never posted. I'm sure it must be different now, but its not as busy anymore. Maybe I ought to just jump in over there, lol.

Denise

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Another reason to resume The Face, although my inner human being is fighting against it.........CactusmcFryerburger says that lots of plant people are there and they don't talk about what they had for lunch all of the time.

RoRo,

Thanks for making up the roster - it seems that, as usual, a good accounting was made.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Denise, I meant a post over there, not here...linked below, if it works. Yes, I suppose you could say there are some serious collectors there. Still nice! Yes, you could just jump in!!

Sure thing, Jeff!

Here is a link that might be useful: 1 post by Crazycactus at TGF

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Whoops~link should read "Cactuscrazy". :)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

It's Gill pronounced exactly the same as Jill, but short for Gillian which we also spell Jillian! Just realised that in the US the 'G' may be a softer 'G' as in the word 'good' :)
    Gill from the UK.

• dellis530
    12 years ago

Hey, I guess that was me, lol. I meant there was a two camp seperation probably 8 yrs ago or so. My memory is foggy and I wasnt involved in any of that, but I do remember some ppl having a problem. I've been reading posts over there all along though. I like the posts from the guy that rescues plants, lol.

Jeff, I had Ben and Jerrys "Cherry Garcia" for dinner. I actually do remember "The Face" post and I think we should do it again. Should I start?

Denise

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Thanks for the explanation, Gill. I was thinking you were a guy, pronouncing it with a soft g. But I suppose, if I stopped to think about it, the name would be spelled w/just one 'l'. I am glad you set me straight! :)

Yes, Denise, it was the beginning of 2006 when the forum owners changed hands & many members went elsewhere. Several new forums started up. TGF was one. Yep, Ed has some great posts. Yes, it's not quite so busy these days.

I wasn't sure what Jeff meant by "The Face"...now figuring what we've called "Mug shot" posts in the past. ≈P

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

RoRo and Denise,

No, I meant Facebook, but we can profit from the misunderstanding - we already are, it seems!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This has been a wonderful threat for something unrelated to C&S. Everyone seems to have enjoyed participating and Rosemarie, your list is GREAT! And now onto the other thread that should be equally as enjoyable.... THE FACE.... now where was that famous picture of myself.... the one w/o the wrinkles and 40# thinner... Well, give me a few days, please?

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Ohhhh...NOW your paragraph makes WAY more sense, Jeff! And I thought McFryer's comment was supposed to be about TGF (which would still apply, I say).

I'm still finding more peeps I missed, Howard, like:

FlowerPotTipper = ?
    azpedsrn = Loretta
    central_cali369 = Josh
    Jade_man = Doug
    whip1 = Rob

If we missed you, Speak up folks...my brain isn't firing on all cylinders these days! :P

As for the Mug shots/Face post, in the past, it was required you have a succulent in the pic w/you so it would be considered On Topic, but it seems to me that there isn't anyone monitoring these forums anymore.

Howard...a few days? Are you PhotoShoppin' it? LOL
    I'll have to find something to post too.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, thanks a lot, that was a great idea to place everyone's handle and then add their name, nice...

Kinda like a year book for those who were absent for picture day. And I see Denise has started one up so everyone will know whose on da utter side LOL...

Ok I can send one just give me a couple days or as they say, I'll do it maniana (tomorow) .

Thanks to all who have participated on this thread It's been a fun time looking forward to more pictures too everybody .

Greg

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosie, at my stage of life, even Photo Shop would have a difficult time... probably run out of memory....LOL

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Thanks, Greg! Yes, has to find an appropriate pic for the Mugshots/Face thread. I cannot get the dogs to hold still w/me in the garden. May have to use an old pic!

...Howard, on the memory! LOL

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

So, we are doing mug shots? In this thread or a new one?

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Jessica, it's a different thread, called "The Face Returns".

• marquest
    12 years ago

LOL at Rosemarie. So I can clear up the mystery for you. What I did when I signed up for garden forums I used different handles because when I traded I could tell what forum they were from.

I was traveling and crazy most of the time I had maybe a day to get a trade packed and shipped and did not have time to check all the forums and try to figure out who was who from what forum. (I would leave Monday and return home Friday only had Saturday to send before I was back out to another part of the US or Puerto Rico).

I always like to tell someone via PM when I shipped. So if they said Marquest I knew I could go to GW and send them a ship notification.

People would send me a email and I would not know which forum they were on to check out if I wanted to send them a plant. lol

All and all I think I have only traded a plant for plant 3 times in 15 years. Usually someone will see a plant I posted and they will email me and ask if I wanted to trade. At that point I usually would say no trade needed and just send them a cutting.

Jeff was so nice I felt like it was like paying forward. You do not have to get a plant from someone that wants a cutting of a plant you have.

By the way you forgot one I also have Toby. lol

Anybody want to shorten my name you can call me Aud.

aka....Audrey the Auditor.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Hee hee, Audrey...thanks for clearing that up for me. It makes PERFECT sense, now that you explain it! But was way confusing to me through the years, to keep it all straight. LOL I guess I could've really confused you if I ever asked for a cutting! Well, now...I didn't figure out Toby, or must not frequent whatever forum where you use it. Nice to finally know your real name! =D What a crazy busy life you have!!

Yes, Jeff, the generous guy he is...made a myriad of forumees giddy as recipients of his box of plants for postage send-offs! Btw, I just now found a post you made here in Nov about his generosity. I was jumping in & out of the forums back then & didn't catch your message to me in it. (Now if I can find it again this morning-I might reply on it.) :P

• marquest
    12 years ago

Rosemarie you think you were confused. I would wake up in the morning at times and did not know what city I was in or arrive at the hotel at the end of the day and go to the room number of the last hotel I stayed the week before and wondered why my key did not work. lol

It is really embarrassing when someone comes to the door and ask why you are trying to break into their room.

Travel for a life is a hard lifestyle.

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Thank you RoRo for the list. Great idea.
    Marie

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Updated Username/Real name List (URL...ha ha ha):

In no particular order: (please let me know if I got anyone wrong)
    bikerdoc5968 = Howard
    cactusmcharris = Jeff
    lzrddr = Geoff (Palmbob on other forums) -unless I'm wrong about this!
    pirate_girl = Karen
    paracelsus = Brad
    dellis530 = Denise
    chaparralgirl = Jessica
    teatree = Colleen
    CorpsmanCooper = Erin (question: wehn did they start letting people use caps again-in their usernames?)
    hijole = Greg
    hanzrobo = Ryan
    squishyplants =Matthew
    kaktuskris = Christopher
    ssk22 = Sharon
    ilovetogrow =Paula
    Beachplants = Rian
    bahia = David
    wantonamara = Mara (?)
    penfold2 = Chris
    amanzed = Dean
    greenclaws = Gill
    ltran54 = Marie
    hopefulauthor = Toni
    seedmoney = Julie (I'm pretty sure)
    emerald1951 = Linda
    greenman28 = Josh
    brodyjames = Nancy
    caudex1 = Keith
    minime8484 = Tristan
    hadrian = Bri (Brian?)
    Stush2049 = Stanley (Stush)
    azpedsrn = Loretta
    central_cali369 = Josh
    Jade_man = Doug
    whip1 = Rob
    marquest (Audwoman, Cinta) =Audrey
    desert gardener = Gay
    (Many listed are recent users. Of course, if we were to go back further, there would be lots more!)

Those with names within their username: rosemariero6 (some call me RoRo or RoMa)\=Rosemarie cactusjordi \= Jordi or Jurgen pennyhal \= Penny meyer\_mike \= Mike tom\_termine \= Tom greenjay \= Jay kathi\_mdgd \= Kathi paul\_ \= Paul stanofh \= Stan chadec7a \= Chad JessieC777 \= Jessie ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ones that remain a mystery to me: hoovb ChemGardner ggarner xerophyte (x) FlowerPotTipper
  • pennyhal
    12 years ago

Although I haven't seen him post here lately

Tapla = Al

• nikki702
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone im Nikki *the name kinda gives it away* lol Im from London :)

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Thanks, Penny! Right after I posted the update, Al posted on the "...no one is policing this forum..." post. I'll add him & Nikki for the next update...Hi there, Nikki! You guys need to go post your mugshots on the "Face Returns" thread!

• brodyjames_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to put the list together, Ro! I'll be sure to make a copy.

Nancy

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Okay...another update..hoping not missing too many.
    Save & Print if you want. =) Alpha, by "handle".

Are you missing from this list? If so, let us know!

amanzed = Dean
    andrewofthelemon = Andrew
    aseedisapromise = ?
    azpedsrn = Loretta
    bahia = David
    Beachplants = Rian
    Bellpepperguy = ?
    bikerdoc5968 = Howard
    brodyjames = Nancy
    cactusjordi = Jordi or Jurgen
    cactusmcharris = Jeff
    caudex1 = Keith
    chadec7a = Chad
    chaparralgirl = Jessica
    ChemGardner = ?
    CorpsmanCooper = Erin
    central_cali369 = Josh
    dellis530 = Denise
    desert gardener = Gay
    elichka = Inna
    emerald1951 = Linda
    FlowerPotTipper = ?
    FrenchSucculents = Laurent
    ggarner = ?
    greenclaws = Gill
    greenjay = Jay
    greenman28 = Josh
    hadrian = Bri (Brian?)
    hanzrobo = Ryan
    hijole = Greg
    hoovb = ?
    hopefulauthor = Toni
    ilovetogrow =Paula
    Jade_man = Doug
    Jeepman69 = Glenn
    JessieC777 = Jessie
    kaktuskris = Christopher
    kathi_mdgd = Kathi
    karyn1 = Karyn
    katluvr = Ronda
    Krystalfoxfire = Krystal
    land3499 = Robert
    longaeva54 = ?
    loucolo = Ellie
    ltran54 = Marie
    Luvidaho_2010 = Tami
    lzrddr = Geoff
    MagGnome = Jacob
    marquest = Audrey
    meyermike_1micha = Mike
    minime8484 = Tristan
    MojaveLove = ?
    nikki702 = Nikki
    norma_2006 = Norma
    paracelsus = Brad
    paul_ = Paul
    penfold2 = Chris
    pennyhal = Penny
    pirate_girl = Karen
    puglvr1 = Nancy
    rosemariero6 = Rosemarie
    seedmoney = Julie
    springtime23 = ?
    squishyplants =Matthew
    ssk22 = Sharon
    stanofh = Stan tapla = Al
    Stush2049 = Stanley (Stush)
    teatree = Colleen
    teenagegreenthumb = Kayla
    tom_termine = Tom
    wantonamara = Mara
    whip1 = Rob
    xerophyte_nyc = ?

• sherryinmaine
    12 years ago

Hi, add me to the list! Mostly I read and learn, and drool over the stuff you guys buy/own, know about.

It's fun to read about other's collections. I dont have much of one, but I also read some other forums as well, and own other kinds of plants, begonias, houseplants etc.

• zone 8
    12 years ago

Hi, please don't leave me out. NW Louisiana, thanks, Larry

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Good to hear from you, Sherry & Larry! Thanks! Will do!

• aseedisapromise
    12 years ago

aseedisapromise is Barbara!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Wantonamara = Mara ? LOL...Yep. I am highly questionable. I am also very bad with remembering names in real life and not very organized like y'all with your list. Whoa , I am impressed . I usually callpeople by their handles because I never know who is sensitive about having their name displayed online. I have irritated a fiend by posting her by his name and he did not like it so I go by that rule usually unless it has been in common usage.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Gotcha, Barbara!

Thanks for the confirmation, Mara! Same here...try not to use names unless something indicated it would be okay. Obviously, if some don't tell us, they'd rather not...and that's okay too!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I never thought a simple thread like, "Who's behind that handle", could create such interest. Please join me in extending a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to Rosemarie for really going the distance to put together an alphabetized list of all of us.

********THANK YOU********

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Yes, let me join in the chorus of thanks!
    Penny

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Well, gosh...just trying to help out. And THANK YOU, Howard, for asking the question! We got to know a lot more about each other. I think it made the forum a friendlier place!

I'll wait a bit to see if we get more peeps to add, before posting another update.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, shucks, Rosemarie... now you've gone and got me blushin.....