Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Jade Cutting

Posted by dan4279 z5 Western Mass (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 21:36

I just receieved a large jade cutting in the mail and I'm looking forward to rooting it. Here's a picture....

My plan is to let in dry for a few weeks before planting. I then will plant it about an inch deep in gritty mix. I will hold off on watering for a couple of weeks and provide bottom heat and indirect light.

Does this sound like a good plan? Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for rooting a piece of jade like this?

Thanks,

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Jade Cutting

I've never tried to root one that big, but I can tell you it is going to take quite a while before it has roots. The bigger the cutting, the longer it will take. The only sure sign of roots is new top growth. When you see that you can begin watering. Until then, mist with water every other day or so. Don't worry if it takes several months, a cutting that size has a very large reserve of water, and can stay alive without roots for more than a year. Keep in the shade, no direct sunlight until growth is evident. Watering without roots will only promote fungal infection/rot. Be patient, that one will be spectacular someday. The biggest problem until roots are formed is your own impatience. Trust the plant. It will let you know when it wants water. :-)

Brad

o

Wow...mind if I ask where you got that thing? It's great!

Tom

o

• Posted by dan4279 z5 Western Mass (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 7:51

Brad - Thanks for the tips. What's the benefit of misting? Couldn't that promote rotting also? I was going to plant it in dry mix and not provide any water at all, but I've never rooted a cutting of this size before either so I'm not really sure exactly what to do.

Tom - I got it from ebay. I'm pretty sure there are still some available. The description of the item said you could root it in water, which concerned me, but the price was right so I took a chance. It arrived in great shape.

Dan

o

Great stump, Dan.

I'm in the camp that sets a large cutting in dry mix and doesn't mist or water.
Some mist, some don't. I prefer to play it safe.

Josh

o

I took many cuttings off my larger jades in December. None of my cuttings were as thick as the one you have, but a couple were pretty thick.
Photobucket
I filled up a short plastic pot that had a circumference of maybe 10 inches with maybe 2 inches of perlite and cactus soil. Stuck the cuttings into the mix. Put the pot into my plastic greenhouse that is under a tree. Yesterday was the first time I actually checked them out again. I haven't misted or anything. There is some new growth on a couple of the cuttings.
I don't know how you can screw up jade cuttings. Small pieces fall from my planted jades onto a brick walkway. They lay there, sprout roots without any help from me. In the temperate parts of California, just letting them lay where they fall would result in eventual root formation.

o

Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 14:32

Thank you, both. I love living where I live, but there are times when I'm very jealous of those of you who have large jades growing outside. I really enjoy them, but getting jades of any significant size in Massachusetts can be a challenge and usually very expensive. Of course if they were growing in my backyard maybe I wouldn't appreciate and enjoy them as much.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage of misting the cutting during the rooting process would be? I just want to have as much info from both camps before I decided what to do. Thanks!

Dan

o

I'm not sure of the advantage, Dan.
Perhaps the thought is that misting helps prevent the cutting from dehydrating. I could
see there being some benefit with smaller cuttings that might dry out before rooting.

I've always felt that the dry conditions would necessitate roots to form and go in search of moisture.
At that point, when the roots are about a half-inch long, I begin dribbling water about an inch away
from the trunk of the cutting. While there are still relatively few roots, I avoid watering the
trunk directly, prefering to moisten the semi-distant soil for prospecting roots.

Once the trunk is well-rooted, I saturate the entire thing.

Josh

o

Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 19:55

Thanks, Josh. That makes sense.

What about planting it 1 inch deep? too much? too little? just right?

Dan

o

Dan -

I just got me one o'them chunky trunks, too. You were right..not a bad price, and I have always wanted one of these.

Hope I can get it to root. Now, as far as the mix itself...should I be going with my standard C&S? Pumice, turface, perlite...a touch of potting soil or coir?

Thanks!

Tom

o

Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 20:33

Hi Tom -

I use Al's gritty mix recipe for all the jades I currently have (bark/turface/grit). They seem to love it, so that's what I'm going to use with this. I'm going to wait to pot it up until after the cut end dries a little bit. I can't speak to how well this will work with a cutting this large because I've never had one like this before, but I've rooted many smaller jade cuttings this way with a 100% success rate.

When you get yours post a pic. I'd love to see it. Did you have him ship it right away or hold off until the weather warms up? I had been holding off for several weeks. The forecast for Western Mass this week looked (and turned out) warmer than usually so I asked him to send it out on Monday. Plus, I work in a school so I was home all week and could bring it right in the house when it got here. It arrived yesterday and looked great.

Good luck!

Dan

o
Same seller?

Dan -

I think it is looking pretty good this week...forties all week, with only a couple of freezing nights. What were the temps when he shipped yours? How long did it take to ship to you?

The cuts on yours were not calloused over when you received it? I had assumed these had been chopped a while back.

I assume you may have gotten yours from the same seller...looks like he keeps them soaking in water?

Tom

o

Wow, that is a great cutting! I sadly missed the opportunity at picking up a starter jade at my local store, and have been scouting out opportunities to find one... though, admittedly, I'm no where near as brave as you! I wouldn't know where to start to turn that into a manicured plant. I've got my eye on the ebay sale though, and if he still has some once the warmer weather hits (and I get a little braver) I might just take the plunge. Please keep us updated - I can't wait to see how it grows!

o

Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 21:23

Tom - Sounds good. It comes all wrapped up in a box, so I would think it would be fine unless it were going to get really cold at night. It was high forties during the day this week here and only mid-30s at night. It took 3 days to get here (Shipped Monday, arrived Thursday). It was not calloused over, but had no signs of rot or freeze damage.

Len - Take the plunge! From what I understand it's hard not to root a jade cutting. He was willing to hold mine as long as I wanted after I purchased it before shipping. I will definitely post updates.

Dan

o

Hey, Dan, I work in a school, too...I've enjoyed the last week off ;-)

Tom, those first three ingredients will work well, though I wouldn't add soil or coir to the mix...
not before the Jade has a full set of roots to handle the extra moisture that soil/coir would hold.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I've never rooted such a thick, leafless Jade stump.
However, I have rooted a fairly thick and tall Jade cutting with great success. I used
a lot of Perlite, Fir bark, and Pumice - approximating a Gritty Mix for maximum aeration.

As you can see, I continued pruning this cutting, chasing the foliage back toward the center
of the "tree" to bring balance. Sadly, I left this wonderful cutting out during a hard freeze
and I lost all but the bottom two inches of the trunk...ah, memories....

scale

potted

Photobucket

before the cut

Josh

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 15:06

I rooted these 2 cuttings from Caudex1 in Al's gritty mix. It was in the summer and I watered very sparingly until I saw growth which took about 3-4 weeks. I would assume something that large would take a long time.
Photobucket

Tom,
Until you post a picture, I don't believe you got one. ;)

Rob

o

Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 19:19

Josh - The school schedule is a great thing isn't it? Do you teach? I'm a high school guidance counselor. Thanks for the pics. That was one nice looking plant. Sorry to hear that you lost it.

Rob - Did those cuttings have any leaves on them when you planted them? They are both very nice. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Dan

o

Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 19:41

Dan,
They were bare branches. The picture was taken about 2 months after I started rooting them.

o

Rob -

I did get one, I swear!

Not sure when it will ship, though. If it ships on Monday, and I have the same luck as Dan, I should have it by Thursday. Then, I will make sure it is calloused over, stick it in some mix, and ignore it ;-).

How fun is that?

T

o

This is One-armed Jack. Being 4" wide at the base, he took over 4 months to show new growth. The growth is a little bigger now but unfortunately a hedge fell on it in some strong winds and messed up the arm. It's in recovery, gonna re-pot it soon.
Good luck with yours. Ditto for Tom.
Photobucket

o

Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 8:13

That's a big cutting! Thanks for the pic. 4 inches is about how wide mine is at the base. 4 months is a long time, but I'm willing to wait. Did you mist the cutting or water at all during the rooting process? Any thing else you did to get it to root?

Dan

o
RE: Large Jade Cutting - one more question

Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 8:20

One more question if you don't mind...

How deep did you plant your cutting? How deep would you recommend I plant mine?

Thanks,

Dan

o

Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 9:15

Tom,
Sounds like fun, but I still don't believe you until I see a picture. lol

Dan,
I planted mine maybe 2-3 inches deep. I had to get it deep enough to stay upright. If I had your cutting, I'd put it about 2 inches so it has more chances to root.

Hanz,
That's a funky looking Jade!

o

Ryan -

One armed Jack is a crazy looking jade! I like it!

How likely are these stumps to bud back on the top chopped sections? Is it basically a crapshoot, or is there anything that can be done to encourage budding in certain areas?

Whip - Here is mine as posted on ebay...and no, I do not have it yet! ;-)

I wonder why he shows them wet and soaking in water...? Supposed to be 12" tall and 6" across (at the base, I guess...).

Dan - since yours came in such great shape, I am trying to not be concerned about the wet soaking appearance...maybe that is just for the photo?

T

o

Man, I'd ask the seller to keep the trunk dry....
almost looks like rot peeking from the large cut at the bottom.

The bottom of my large cutting was rotting when I received it, so I chopped to clean material
and then dusted the cut with cinnamon.

Josh

o

Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 15:35

I was concerned about how wet it looked in the picture, but I've wanted a cutting like this for a while so I took a chance. I'm not sure how the seller keeps them. It was inexpensive enough that I was willing to risk it. Tom, it looks like you got one of the bigger ones. I got one of the smaller ones. Mine seemed to be in great shape when it got here. It was still wet on the cut ends, but no signs of rot. It's already started to callous over on the ends.

It's going to be interesting to see how they both develop.

Dan

o

Good grief! I have never ever seen such a large and chunky 'cutting' as that! Are you sure it's from a Crassula and not a poor elephants leg? It should look absolutely great with a tuft of branches sprouting from the top. Good luck and keep us posted please on it's progress, I hope it does well for you.
Gill from the UK.

o

I'd love one of those cuttings too, but can't have it shipped to Canada.

o

Dan, sorry it took me so long to get back here. I've never tried to root a stump as short and fat as yours but a few others here have ensured me that growth should sprout from the top when it's ready. My trunk had that existing arm which gave it an easy place to start some leaves.

I planted it about an inch deep and propped it up with those rocks. I think I compacted the soil a bit because it has very poor drainage. It stayed outside in the shade until I saw the new growth. I find myself to be an occasional nervous mister. I feel like I need to remind the plant that water exists here and will eventually be available.

Before I knew anything about the succulent world, I got a handful of cuttings from my neighbor and set them in a bowl of water. Most of them, including the Jade, developed roots. I've been told that roots developed in water are different from roots developed in soil and that they are useless once planted.

o

Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 20:05

Gill - Thanks! I will definitely post updates. I plan to pot it up in the next week or so. I'll put some pics of that process up as well.

Ron - That's too bad. It's definitely a fun little project.

Hanz - Thanks for the tips. I'd like to plant it as shallow as possible so that more of the trunk stays above ground to be displayed, but I do want a good root system to develop.

Dan

o
RE: Large Jade Cutting - link to album

Here is the link to album:

http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r488/Rina_TO/jade/

Rina

o
RE: Large Jade Cutting - wrong thread

Sorry guys,
posted in the wrong thread...Rina

o

Dan I had a jade that I grew from a small 3" cutting and it had a 4" thick trunk but I forgot it outside one fall and it froze. It was 27 years old.

o

Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 21:02

Hi Ron - Thanks. I hope mine will get to be 27 years old! How did you get yours to root?

Dan

o

• Posted by gg24 6a CT (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 19:39

After looking at these pictures, I couldn't resist and ordered one on Saturday. It arrived today in excellent condition. I did cut a little off the bottom to even it out. When that callouses over, I plant on rooting it in sifted Turface since I have had excellent results doing that with jades in the past.

Good Luck Everyone!!

o

Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 20:15

gg24 - Any chance you can post a pic? It'd be great to keep this thread going with updates on how all the stumps turn out.

Congrats and good luck to you as well!

Dan

o

Wow, gg24...how did your come so fast? My seller is actually waiting until the next warm spell to ship. Did you get yours from eBay, or somewhere else?

T

o

• Posted by gg24 6a CT (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 20:09

Tom: I ordered it from the seller on ebay that says you can root it in water. He shipped it Monday by priority mail and I was surprised to receive it yesterday. I told him that I felt it was ok to ship because it wasn't supposed to be too cold this week and someone is usually home so it wouldn't be sitting outside all day.

o
RE: Dan

Dan all my jade cuttings are rooted in vermiculite. I soak the vermiculite in a small pot and set it on a paper towel and then let it drain all the water out that will be absorbed by the towel. After letting the jade cutting dry for a few days I plant it it in the vermiculite and wait. And not watering until well established. I have also rooted some by just letting them lie on top of the soil in a pot. I've been rooting and giving away jade cuttings for over 50 years. Don't be afraid to experiment and have fun.
I also root my cactus and African Violet cuttings the same way.

o
I am stumped!

Well, after a long wait and a 10 day parcel post journey across the country, my stump hath arrived. I hope it is okay. It seems okay...feels heavy, looks pretty calloused over.

So, I stuck it in some dry perlite, pumice and turface and set it aside in my sunroom. I guess I now wait for a very long time....

Dan and gg24 - what's happening with your stumps?

Tom

o

Tom, is it just my eye....or are there patches of mold on the cuts?
If you press your finger on the cuts, is there any softness?

Josh

o

• Posted by ssk22 5/ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 11:39

Tom,
OMG.......that is the biggest jade stump I have seen so far......I got one also,half that size. Mine has been in perlite for about a week now. Hope it gets roots before winter.lol.
Sharon

o

Josh - I think it might be the colors in the photo. The cuts looked pretty good to my eye in person. Where in the photo do you think you see it? I will look again tonight when I get home. If I do suspect it when I look, what would you recommend as the course of treatment?

Sharon - I know! Is there any chance for these things to actually root?!?!

Tom

o

Hey, Tom!
It probably is just the colors in the photo....
but just to be safe, I would check all of the following areas for any bit of softness.
If there is rot, get a hold of the seller and see if he'll replace the stump...preferably one
that hasn't been soaked in water! If you discover rot and you want to "operate," scoop any
discolored tissue out. Remove any rotted tissue all the way to healthy green tissue, and
then dust the heck out of it with cinnamon powder...then hope for the best ;-)

If no rot, no softness, stick to your plan of pumice, perlite, and turface. In a few months
you should see some action...albeit slow at first.

Photobucket

Josh

o

Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 20:46

Hi everyone!

Tom, that looks great! Can't wait to see how it develops.

I've been meaning to post an update on my cutting. Last week I planted it in gritty mix. Here it is:

I got so excited about the first one that I bought 2 more...I know, I have issues.

The one on the left in the second picture is the biggest one of the 3 by far. I'll put the 2 new ones in pots soon.

Dan

o

Man! Where did all these elephant feet come from?!?!

So I checked all those spots on mine...they are all hard as a rock, thankfully. I will be truly amazed if (when..think positively!) this thing sprouts a leaf!

Good luck with all your stumps, everyone! Keep us all posted.

Tom

o

O.K. you guys got me...lol I'm trying to order one as we speak ! Will post pics if i'm successful , when it arrives.... Good luck to all !

o

Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 18:49

Nice, greenjay. Definitely post pics. It's going to be great to see all these stumps when they start pushing out new growth!

Dan

o

O.K. just got confirmation ! I won the auction and may have it by friday or saturday....probably do a little cinnamon dusting just to be safe... asked them to ship it dry....will post more upon arrival ...
Dan ~ Agreed.....watch the stumps....lol

o

We are the Stump It Up movement, and we will not be denied our rooting in the sun. We have joy, we have fun, we have rooting in the sun...

o

Congrats, greenjay. A chunky stump in every greenhouse, I say!

Jeff - channeling Terry Jacks...very nice!

Mine has spent its first dry week in its pot. I have to say, I am tempted to mist the soil...just a little bit. But I have not done so yet. I will continue to resist...

Tom

o

hmmm 3 people, 3 stumps, I say that we name them ...lol any ideas ?

o

Tom,

Actually it wasn't, but that's where it led - I really have no control over these things.

Jay,

Where did you get the stump? Was it my bete noir, Ebay?

o

Dan
It was on E-Bay "daboart " supposed to be a 30 yr old chuck lol.. should be arriving tomorrow or Saturday...so we'll see . the seller had both 20 and 30 yr old pieces listed couldn't go wrong for 15 bucks....I think that you, Tom and I should each name our stumps haha....i also asked my seller to ship it "dry" , and have my cinnamon at hand for a light dusting upon arrival just in case....now, to find the perfect pot lol

o

Jay,

I intend to snap off a limb from TGWOJWKL when I'm in San Diego the next time, but in the meantime I'd like a C. ovata stump for $15 - I've already got a 'Gollum', ol Stumpy, so I need another one.

I must admit I've never used Ebay, and I've said before (and will say again) that one should generally buy plants from reputable non-Ebay sources, like Greg Starr or Miles Anderson, e.g., but can I usually send an Ebay seller a US bank check (assuming he's U.S.-based)? Does one have to have an account with Ebay? If it's Paypal only I'm out of luck. This seller's got a proven track record - I don't remember if he's the one that had bad cultural information, but if his plants are healthy (which they appear to be), and they're certainly very reasonably priced...I've not got sucked into a maelstrom lately, so this seems to be a way to ease back in.

Not Dan, too.

Jeff

Please feel free to reprint this as my stump speech.

o

I bought 2 large stumps from the same seller in February. Today I discovered that they completely rotten. They were firm but black inside when I cut them open. never watered or even misted. They were in 1in perlite, clay pots. before i pot them I let them callus for a month. they were 4in diameter. i think they were probably rotten before I got them. the interesting thing is they were firm,not squishy or wrinkled. I decided to check on them since they developed some mold on top. Such a waste;((( very disappointed.
Inna

o

Oh dear. Another newbie question. What does "ship it dry" mean?

Penny

o

Something to consider with those nice big stumps is laying them sideways. I've done it before, and the roots that form will go straight down, with growth pointed up, allowing your stump to be a focal point, even when the plant is young.

o

That kind of negates the point of having a large stump, though.

Penny, ship it dry means don't wrap it in wet paper towels or put it in a plastic bag or some other
nonsensical packaging.

Inna, I'm sorry that your cuttings rotted :-(

Josh

o

Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 8:28

Inna - I'm sorry to hear about your cutting.

The smaller one of the second two that I purchased rotted as well. The first one and the other big one seem to be fine. They are potted in gritty mix and being left alone on my sun porch. Seeing these stumps in their ebay photos soaking wet was a concern. I knew I was taking a chance when I bought them. I just hope one of them will make it!

Jay - did yours arrive yet?

Dan

o

Thank you Josh and Dan.
i still have 1" of one and maybe 3/4" of the other left. Sprinkled w/cinnamon. Who knows??? maybe they will root, but I doubt because its only small piece of bark left on one side.
Yes, this guy send them in wet paper towels covered plastic bubbles in 32F.
when I bought them I asked the seller not to ship until its warmer and shipped them dry . he did everything opposite plus got very offended when I send him email. his words were:" They need to be kept moist or they will crack, others have been very pleased at packing"
Good thing is it wasn't too expensive.

Inna

o

Inna,

Who is this ingrate? He sounds quite dreadful.

Sorry to hear about your plant. If I were still in San Diego I could send you one the size of a Armagnac cask...

o

Jeff,

This guy is ebay seller dabort. i told him that I'll make him "famous" on Gardenweb.

Thank you for your kind words. i'm just afraid that if you could send me this size it wouldn't fit in my tiny Brooklyn house. plus , my husband would send me live in backyard along with my plants .You made me laugh

Inna

o

Ugh! I looked him up and he is even unpleasant with buyers whom left him neutral feedback, a few people say they emailed him and he never emailed back, and he denied ever receiving mail each time.... sleezy.

o

Thu, May 10, 12 at 19:36

Was wondering if any of the " big stumps" rooted for anyone yet?
Mine has been planted in 1" perlite since end of March. Nothing yet, except the cut edge ,dusted in cinnamon is collapsed .thinking maybe it could be rotted,afraid to check.
Sharon

o

Incredible. Same issues here. Mine has collapsed on one side, one side still firm. When I press on the bark on that side, there is a disturbing amount of 'give' from the top to the bottom of the cutting. I am not too optimistic at this point. Could the firm side actual grow?

I was thinking about checking for roots this weekend, but I was wondering if that would just make matters worse. When I wrote the seller, he suggested that it is normal to have to remove bark and excise down to a 'segment point' - whatever that is.

I did receive my cutting wet and wrapped - should have known at that point.

Really disappointing.

Tom

o

I was afraid of this, from the look of the cuttings.

This guy should be horsewhipped and ridden out of town.

Josh

o

I bought a huge chunk a couple of months ago from him and I just left it to sit and dry out for awhile and checked it a few weeks later and it was mostly rotted.I don't know were he thinks he can let them sit out in the rain and stay wet and not rot. he sure ruined some nice pieces of plant. joe

o

Tom,

I asked too soon about Stumpy - sorry about your and others' experience.

I hope one of you purchasers send the link of this thread to him and explain about the experienced growers getting a failing plant-to-be. Surely he can't be so full of hubris....but he's already proven that.

o

Dang, guys. I'm sorry for all the losses. That's ridiculous.

o

If you know within 45 days from an auction's end that your plant's a goner and paid with PayPal, you are protected. I know it's too late for most of you but it's something to keep in mind.

I had an incredibly bad experience with an eBay seller (montanaman59701) and waited too long to get the full refund from PayPal because I believed his promises.

You have to file a complaint on each item even if they were paid for together. Something eBay doesn't make clear. And if they seller says he or she will pay return postage, have them do it beforehand through eBay. Even if you have the seller's promises in writing through eBay's message system, after 45 days you are stuck.

Linda

o

Mon, May 14, 12 at 15:13

I decided to take the leap and cut into my jade stump.
Black about four inches down from the top. A yellow green to the bottom.
Guess the eBay seller made money off of a few of us huh?
Mine was shipped dry,let it dry a good month before putting in perlite.
Dusted the cut ends with cinnamon ,didn't water.
bad from the start
Sharon

o

Sorry you all are losing your stumps, you all sounded so excited to get them in the first place. Why don't you all get together & go after this guy.

Share your stories on his feedback if such is possible (I've never used Ebay).

Isn't the fact of his wrapping them w/moist towels quite the giveaway? Who among us who grows Crassulas would EVER do that?

o

Mon, May 14, 12 at 19:14

I have only bad news to report as well. The first stump I received is very soft on the sides. I'm just going to let it be, but I'm not optimistic. The second 2 I received both rotted fairly quickly. I contacted the seller and he sent me another small one. One end looked nice and dry, the other looked questionable. So far it has not shown any signs of rotting, but it's probably just a matter of time.

I had a feeling that big stumps for such a small price tag was to good to be true, but I couldn't resist.

Dan

o

Unbelievable. Really.

I really dislike posting negatives about sellers on eBay...I don't know, bad karma...but this one may be an exception! With such widespread losses, it is obviously not the fault of ours culturally. They all failed! Not just mine, or anyone else's.

Not sure what to do.

Tom

o

Tom:

I didn't want to leave negative feedback but if deserved it serves as a caution to others. If we don't leave appropriate feedback, then more people will be taken in and spend hard earned money for nothing.

My African violets arrived in poor condition from being poorly packed. I sent photos but the seller insisted on seeing them for himself before he would refund and promised to pay postage. He did refund one; the other one plus $10.00 postage I had to eat for a more than $20 loss.

It was the first negative feedback I've had to leave in 15 years of buying and selling on eBay. I don't think it's bad karma if the seller or buyer deserves it. But I do admit it's hard to do.

Linda

o

What about writing an actual letter (citing the experience & each losing gardener's dissatisfaction w/ their rotting stump), & passing it snail mail amongst yourselves, to all of you who bought & lost these stumps & then when ALL of you who've lost his stumps have added to the list, then mail him the letter/list. Maybe if he sees the number of you involved AND that you've all been in touch w/ each other, maybe he'll get the idea you folks could blacklist him & do away w/ his little money tree! What a piece of work!!

o

best to wait for the summer heat to encourage to start growth

o

Tue, May 15, 12 at 16:34

I contacted the eBay seller. He was sorry to hear my stump rotted. Probably was the cold and damp Ohio weather. These cuttings are best when it is hot and dry for them to root. He should have mentioned that to me. Live and learn I guess. Lol.
Sharon

o

Babyboy and Sharon,

That's not true - Crassula ovata goes fairly dormant when it's the real summer heat. Rooting is best done when it's warm, not hot.

Sharon,

Did he offer to send you another one? Or any sort of refund?

o

I think the idea of a petition is a great idea. However, I'd send it to eBay and PayPal and let them know it isn't possible to determine if the cutting is rotted until after the 45-day limit.

If you've documented your problem via eBay messages and let them know that may have some umph, too.

If these two institutions get a petition with a lot of signatures it might work. You could also email, via eBay messages, others who've bought a cutting and ask if theirs survived.

Don't tell them about the petition; just ask. If they respond with a "yes," tell them "x" number have had the same problem and give them a chance to add their names.

Speaking as someone who sells (well, I used to until fees got too high for my books to make any profit), irresponsible sellers reflect poorly on the 99% of good plant sellers on eBay.

JMO

Linda

PS: An eBay CS person told me to wait closer to the last day (it's either 45 or 60, can't remember) to leave feedback on plants. He said too many people leave instant, positive feedback and it can't be changed to negative or neutral if the plant dies and the seller doesn't come through. He said even if it's too late to get a refund, you can at least let others know of your experience.

o

Tue, May 15, 12 at 20:32

Jeff,
He offered his sympathy .haha that was a laugh
Sharon

o

Sat, May 19, 12 at 7:56

Sorry to hear that none of the plants are doing well. I was looking forward to seeing the stumps grow.

o

I got my stump in the mail on May 5th. The three cut ends all had rot. I cut them all back to healthy tissue and then brushed it with cinnamon. The calluses seem to be healthy so just yesterday I potted it.

The first thing I did when the package came in the mail was get a saw out. getting the rot out is the most important. The stump can't recover, the rot will only spread.

o

nallred -

Good luck to you! Perhaps you will be the only survivor!

This seller has stopped responding to my messages. He does not appear to be interested in making this right for anybody. I have checked his feedback, though, and it is still all good.

Has anyone posted anything to his feedback about all this?

T

o

Since feedback is the only recourse, why would anyone who purchased and was disappointed by these stumps not leave it?

o

I am only thirdteen and I can root jade from both roots and leaved
i have rooted exsessively large cutting but have done small tip cuttings. what i do is let them sit in shade for a week or two to let them callouse.then I put them in dry soil and don't water them again until they severly wrinkle up to
force them to look for water. sounds

strict and wrong but for maximum rooting this is what I do. then I start watering them every two weeks. I have never failed with my method but it will be mu h more difficult with such collosill jade trunks

forceforce the force. the

o

I have been watching this thread and thought about buying a 'stump', what does everyone think went wrong? Would 'stumps' from another seller have the same issues?

o

Mine is probably a goner now too... noticed some rot peeking out from near the center.. went to do more cutting now i'm left with a pretty small stump that i doubt is capable of rooting.

@mymimi, what went wrong is the seller keeps them wet... stumps from another seller would not have the same issue unless they make the same mistakes he does.

o

CM:

Buyers tend to leave feedback immediately upon receipt of plants. That's why the Customer Service rep told me people who buy plants should wait until the very last minute to leave feedback. You have 60 days from date of purchase.

If the plant doesn't survive and the seller is an ass you can let potential buyers know.

Teengardner:

The people who bought these cuttings are very knowledgeable. But even the most knowledgeable can do nothing with a faulty product. These cuttings were faulty from the day they arrived.

Linda

o

Oops..."gardener."

o

What was wrong with them when they arrived? Was it the way they shipped or just the plant regardless? Maybe hiw plant had rot and he just cut it up and sold it?

o

Pls. read the thread again Micro. The posters mention wet toweling either left on the stump or even shipped in that w/ bubble plastic (talk about a perfect environment for rot).

That's what wrong w/ them.

o

Pls. read the thread again Micro. The posters mention wet toweling either left on the stump or even shipped in that w/ bubble plastic (talk about a perfect environment for rot).

That's what wrong w/ them.

o

Sorry about that ... but reading 90 posts is alot

o

Is it? 90 posts is a mere drop in the Crassulacean bucket.

Josh

o

Touch� Josh!!

o

Ooops, when I typed that there was an accent over the "e" as in touchee.

o

And now one has to read 93 posts - my word, the things you folks ask of us.

o

So sorry that I have been absent from this posting, MANY< MANY things going on here .
I DID in fact receive my stump, although the first one was supposedly lost in the mail .
The seller daboart, did respond and send another stump which arrived on time .
My stump arrived , crammed in a cardboard mailing envelope and wrapped in damp paper towel and plastic . I also noticed that there appeared to be a fine powder on it. After e-mailing the seller, he responded that he had "dusted" the stump with rooting hormone powder just prior to shipment. lol
There was a small section that seemed a tiny bit " springy" and some of the bark appeared to be peeling which I was told ( by the seller) was perfectly normal and happens frequently with larger jades.
I found a dry, warm , slightly sunny spot to leave the stump to dry out all the way prior to planting it.
I let it sit for almost two weeks before potting it approx. 2" deep in a well draining mix .
This was all weeks ago . The stump all still seems to be heavy and firm, the springy spot has in fact dried well.
The top of the stump, somewhat unevenly cut appears shriveled , but dry and somewhat calloused .
I have been VERY tempted as of late to unpot it and inspect it for signs of any root development, but have fought that urge so far .
The stump arrived around April 5th , and , while there is no sign of it doing " anything ", there is also no sign of rot.
VERY sorry to hear that everyone seems to have bad stumps, hope mine doesn't turn out that way . I will try to post a pic or two in the next day or so ... Has anyone had any luck with their stumps so far ?
Now i'm really wondering if i should take it out of the pot an check things out.... any suggestions ?

o

Wow, your stumps are the largest I'd ever seen.

Would placing a heat mat help or quicken rooting? Just a thought.

I looked for the seller on Ebay, (under both name/spellings) but no luck. How does one find a seller by name?

One other question. Several here mention trunk/stump diameter. How is a trunk measured?

I'm sorry some here have lost their stumps to rot. That's terrible.
It was mentioned not to leave feedback until 'X' days. If a trunk arrives, and has soft spots, before leaving feedback, the seller should be contacted. If he doesn't repond, send a second email. If rot is spreading and seller doesn't reply, then leave Negative Feedback. Short and sweet. 'Stump has rot, seller doesn't repond to emails.'

One negative feedback should change the seller's actions..imagine several feedbacks. Toni

o

Hi Toni, to find a seller on Ebay...once you're on the home page right next to "SEARCH" is "advanced search"...click on that and you will see a list of options. It looks like this below then click on " By Seller" and type the sellers name.
Hope that makes sense,lol...

Advanced Search

Find items

On eBay Motors
By seller
By bidder
By item number

Below is one of his Auctions on ebay...

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's one of his auctions...

o

Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 13:10

You know we could all go to his listing, and start asking him questions about the wet shipping, and many rotted plants he's selling. Maybe if enough people say something, he'll at least change the way he ships and maybe save the next person some hassle.

o

With all the bad experiences from this thread...I'm wondering how does he still has 99.9 % positive feedback?!?!

Has any of his stumps from this thread survived or still alive w/out rot?

o

Hi, Pug:

See my explanation for his rating and what eBay said to do several posts above.

Linda ~ another lover of smoosh-faced dogs ;-)

o

Oops...sorry about that Linda. Thought I read all the post,lol...Thanks!

Happy to know "another lover of smoosh-faced dogs" :o)

o

It looks like he has those growing in a plate of water! Wth? How can they even survive that? Is this ok?

o

Hi Microthrix...I personally wouldn't be rooting/growing them in water, rot would be the biggest risk growing it this way and eventually decline.

o

108 post over jade plants they are so popular

o

108 post over jade plants they are so popular

o

O.K. my chapter to this story comes to an end as well.....my chunk suffered the same malady as everyone elses from this "seller".....rotted from the inside out... you live, you learn , I suppose...I have tried contacting the seller, but evidently his addy has been changed....go figure.......

o

I can't imagine why you folks don't ALL post feedback showing your dissatisfaction(s).

As Jeff asked earlier, why on earth not?

Maybe if someone had, all of you might have had cause to think twice about this vendor.

I just don't understand people's reluctance here to leave truthful feedback when they've had bad experiences, it's a lot of you.

o

If you understand eBay's feedback system you'd understand why this seller has so much positive.

Once you leave feedback as a buyer, you can't retract. Most people leave it the day the apparently healthy plant arrives not knowing they're in for problems down the line.

I imagine that's the case with all of the people who have had a bad experience with this seller; including no telling how many not on Garden Web.

I used to do the same until I was screwed by a seller (montanaman59701). Now I wait until the last possible day as eBay's Customer Service suggested. And, I'll bet, so do these people from now on.

Buyers have 45 days from date paid to file a case to get money back if a purchase is misrepresentated or defective and 60 days to leave feedback. On day 59 I left negative for the above seller.

Linda (who buys and sells [paperbacks; not plants] on eBay)

o

well, personally, it stinks, haha, just glad that it's over...I'll know better in the future....as for the seller, it bites that he'll get away with it from others, but I strongly believe in kharma, so it'll bite him eventually....

o

Amen, greenjay, amen!

Linda

o

Be an agent of Karma....bite him now. Seriously.
Don't let others get taken. As they say, Evil prospers when good folks do nothing.
I wouldn't want this on my conscience...that's bad karma, too.

Josh

o

Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 20:54

That's exactly why I didn't leave negative feedback...by the time my stumps had rotted the time to leave feedback had run out.

Dan

o

hello, I had bought one chunk that was about two feet long by about 12 inches wide last spring and it kept rotting on the ends so finely one day in june I threw it in a deep ravine behind the house. it was buried in the trees and brush and lately I've been seeing it lay there when ever I look down there so this last week I tumbled down the hill to have a look,got curious, and here it had two thick wads of branches growing out the sides so I hoisted it back to the green house to see how it does. amazing with all the rain we had and no sun.

o

Piiiictuuuures pleasssssse =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here