Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan4279

Large Jade Cutting

dan4279
12 years ago

I just receieved a large jade cutting in the mail and I'm looking forward to rooting it. Here's a picture....

{{gwi:498811}}

My plan is to let in dry for a few weeks before planting. I then will plant it about an inch deep in gritty mix. I will hold off on watering for a couple of weeks and provide bottom heat and indirect light.

Does this sound like a good plan? Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for rooting a piece of jade like this?

Thanks,

Dan

Comments (118)

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Dang, guys. I'm sorry for all the losses. That's ridiculous.

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

If you know within 45 days from an auction's end that your plant's a goner and paid with PayPal, you are protected. I know it's too late for most of you but it's something to keep in mind.

I had an incredibly bad experience with an eBay seller (montanaman59701) and waited too long to get the full refund from PayPal because I believed his promises.

You have to file a complaint on each item even if they were paid for together. Something eBay doesn't make clear. And if they seller says he or she will pay return postage, have them do it beforehand through eBay. Even if you have the seller's promises in writing through eBay's message system, after 45 days you are stuck.

Linda

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

I decided to take the leap and cut into my jade stump.
    Black about four inches down from the top. A yellow green to the bottom.
    Guess the eBay seller made money off of a few of us huh?
    Mine was shipped dry,let it dry a good month before putting in perlite.
    Dusted the cut ends with cinnamon ,didn't water.
    bad from the start
    Sharon

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Sorry you all are losing your stumps, you all sounded so excited to get them in the first place. Why don't you all get together & go after this guy.

Share your stories on his feedback if such is possible (I've never used Ebay).

Isn't the fact of his wrapping them w/moist towels quite the giveaway? Who among us who grows Crassulas would EVER do that?

• dan4279
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have only bad news to report as well. The first stump I received is very soft on the sides. I'm just going to let it be, but I'm not optimistic. The second 2 I received both rotted fairly quickly. I contacted the seller and he sent me another small one. One end looked nice and dry, the other looked questionable. So far it has not shown any signs of rotting, but it's probably just a matter of time.

I had a feeling that big stumps for such a small price tag was to good to be true, but I couldn't resist.

Dan

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

Unbelievable. Really.

I really dislike posting negatives about sellers on eBay...I don't know, bad karma...but this one may be an exception! With such widespread losses, it is obviously not the fault of ours culturally. They all failed! Not just mine, or anyone else's.

Not sure what to do.

Tom

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Tom:

I didn't want to leave negative feedback but if deserved it serves as a caution to others. If we don't leave appropriate feedback, then more people will be taken in and spend hard earned money for nothing.

My African violets arrived in poor condition from being poorly packed. I sent photos but the seller insisted on seeing them for himself before he would refund and promised to pay postage. He did refund one; the other one plus $10.00 postage I had to eat for a more than $20 loss.

It was the first negative feedback I've had to leave in 15 years of buying and selling on eBay. I don't think it's bad karma if the seller or buyer deserves it. But I do admit it's hard to do.

Linda

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

What about writing an actual letter (citing the experience & each losing gardener's dissatisfaction w/ their rotting stump), & passing it snail mail amongst yourselves, to all of you who bought & lost these stumps & then when ALL of you who've lost his stumps have added to the list, then mail him the letter/list. Maybe if he sees the number of you involved AND that you've all been in touch w/ each other, maybe he'll get the idea you folks could blacklist him & do away w/ his little money tree! What a piece of work!!

• babyboyya
    11 years ago

best to wait for the summer heat to encourage to start growth

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

I contacted the eBay seller. He was sorry to hear my stump rotted. Probably was the cold and damp Ohio weather. These cuttings are best when it is hot and dry for them to root. He should have mentioned that to me. Live and learn I guess. Lol.
    Sharon

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Babyboy and Sharon,

That's not true - Crassula ovata goes fairly dormant when it's the real summer heat. Rooting is best done when it's warm, not hot.

Sharon,

Did he offer to send you another one? Or any sort of refund?

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

I think the idea of a petition is a great idea. However, I'd send it to eBay and PayPal and let them know it isn't possible to determine if the cutting is rotted until after the 45-day limit.

If you've documented your problem via eBay messages and let them know that may have some umph, too.

If these two institutions get a petition with a lot of signatures it might work. You could also email, via eBay messages, others who've bought a cutting and ask if theirs survived.

Don't tell them about the petition; just ask. If they respond with a "yes," tell them "x" number have had the same problem and give them a chance to add their names.

Speaking as someone who sells (well, I used to until fees got too high for my books to make any profit), irresponsible sellers reflect poorly on the 99% of good plant sellers on eBay.

JMO

Linda

PS: An eBay CS person told me to wait closer to the last day (it's either 45 or 60, can't remember) to leave feedback on plants. He said too many people leave instant, positive feedback and it can't be changed to negative or neutral if the plant dies and the seller doesn't come through. He said even if it's too late to get a refund, you can at least let others know of your experience.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

Jeff,
    He offered his sympathy .haha that was a laugh
    Sharon

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear that none of the plants are doing well. I was looking forward to seeing the stumps grow.

• nallred91
    11 years ago

I got my stump in the mail on May 5th. The three cut ends all had rot. I cut them all back to healthy tissue and then brushed it with cinnamon. The calluses seem to be healthy so just yesterday I potted it.

The first thing I did when the package came in the mail was get a saw out. getting the rot out is the most important. The stump can't recover, the rot will only spread.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

nallred -

Good luck to you! Perhaps you will be the only survivor!

This seller has stopped responding to my messages. He does not appear to be interested in making this right for anybody. I have checked his feedback, though, and it is still all good.

Has anyone posted anything to his feedback about all this?

T

11 years ago

Since feedback is the only recourse, why would anyone who purchased and was disappointed by these stumps not leave it?

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

I am only thirdteen and I can root jade from both roots and leaved
    i have rooted exsessively large cutting but have done small tip cuttings. what i do is let them sit in shade for a week or two to let them callouse.then I put them in dry soil and don't water them again until they severly wrinkle up to
    force them to look for water. sounds

strict and wrong but for maximum rooting this is what I do. then I start watering them every two weeks. I have never failed with my method but it will be mu h more difficult with such collosill jade trunks

forceforce the force. the

• snowdogmama
    11 years ago

I have been watching this thread and thought about buying a 'stump', what does everyone think went wrong? Would 'stumps' from another seller have the same issues?

• nallred91
    11 years ago

Mine is probably a goner now too... noticed some rot peeking out from near the center.. went to do more cutting now i'm left with a pretty small stump that i doubt is capable of rooting.

@mymimi, what went wrong is the seller keeps them wet... stumps from another seller would not have the same issue unless they make the same mistakes he does.

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

CM:

Buyers tend to leave feedback immediately upon receipt of plants. That's why the Customer Service rep told me people who buy plants should wait until the very last minute to leave feedback. You have 60 days from date of purchase.

If the plant doesn't survive and the seller is an ass you can let potential buyers know.

Teengardner:

The people who bought these cuttings are very knowledgeable. But even the most knowledgeable can do nothing with a faulty product. These cuttings were faulty from the day they arrived.

Linda

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Oops..."gardener."

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

What was wrong with them when they arrived? Was it the way they shipped or just the plant regardless? Maybe hiw plant had rot and he just cut it up and sold it?

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Pls. read the thread again Micro. The posters mention wet toweling either left on the stump or even shipped in that w/ bubble plastic (talk about a perfect environment for rot).

That's what wrong w/ them.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Pls. read the thread again Micro. The posters mention wet toweling either left on the stump or even shipped in that w/ bubble plastic (talk about a perfect environment for rot).

That's what wrong w/ them.

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Sorry about that ... but reading 90 posts is alot

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Is it? 90 posts is a mere drop in the Crassulacean bucket.

Josh

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Touch� Josh!!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Ooops, when I typed that there was an accent over the "e" as in touchee.

11 years ago

And now one has to read 93 posts - my word, the things you folks ask of us.

• greenjay
    11 years ago

So sorry that I have been absent from this posting, MANYI DID in fact receive my stump, although the first one was supposedly lost in the mail .
    The seller daboart, did respond and send another stump which arrived on time .
    My stump arrived , crammed in a cardboard mailing envelope and wrapped in damp paper towel and plastic . I also noticed that there appeared to be a fine powder on it. After e-mailing the seller, he responded that he had "dusted" the stump with rooting hormone powder just prior to shipment. lol
    There was a small section that seemed a tiny bit " springy" and some of the bark appeared to be peeling which I was told ( by the seller) was perfectly normal and happens frequently with larger jades.
    I found a dry, warm , slightly sunny spot to leave the stump to dry out all the way prior to planting it.
    I let it sit for almost two weeks before potting it approx. 2" deep in a well draining mix .
    This was all weeks ago . The stump all still seems to be heavy and firm, the springy spot has in fact dried well.
    The top of the stump, somewhat unevenly cut appears shriveled , but dry and somewhat calloused .
    I have been VERY tempted as of late to unpot it and inspect it for signs of any root development, but have fought that urge so far .
    The stump arrived around April 5th , and , while there is no sign of it doing " anything ", there is also no sign of rot.
    VERY sorry to hear that everyone seems to have bad stumps, hope mine doesn't turn out that way . I will try to post a pic or two in the next day or so ... Has anyone had any luck with their stumps so far ?
    Now i'm really wondering if i should take it out of the pot an check things out.... any suggestions ?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Wow, your stumps are the largest I'd ever seen.

Would placing a heat mat help or quicken rooting? Just a thought.

I looked for the seller on Ebay, (under both name/spellings) but no luck. How does one find a seller by name?

One other question. Several here mention trunk/stump diameter. How is a trunk measured?

I'm sorry some here have lost their stumps to rot. That's terrible.
    It was mentioned not to leave feedback until 'X' days. If a trunk arrives, and has soft spots, before leaving feedback, the seller should be contacted. If he doesn't repond, send a second email. If rot is spreading and seller doesn't reply, then leave Negative Feedback. Short and sweet. 'Stump has rot, seller doesn't repond to emails.'

One negative feedback should change the seller's actions..imagine several feedbacks. Toni

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Toni, to find a seller on Ebay...once you're on the home page right next to "SEARCH" is "advanced search"...click on that and you will see a list of options. It looks like this below then click on " By Seller" and type the sellers name.
    Hope that makes sense,lol...

Advanced Search

Find items

On eBay Motors
    By seller
    By bidder
    By item number

Below is one of his Auctions on ebay...

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's one of his auctions...

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    11 years ago

You know we could all go to his listing, and start asking him questions about the wet shipping, and many rotted plants he's selling. Maybe if enough people say something, he'll at least change the way he ships and maybe save the next person some hassle.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

With all the bad experiences from this thread...I'm wondering how does he still has 99.9 % positive feedback?!?!

Has any of his stumps from this thread survived or still alive w/out rot?

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Hi, Pug:

See my explanation for his rating and what eBay said to do several posts above.

Linda ~ another lover of smoosh-faced dogs ;-)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Oops...sorry about that Linda. Thought I read all the post,lol...Thanks!

Happy to know "another lover of smoosh-faced dogs" :o)

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

It looks like he has those growing in a plate of water! Wth? How can they even survive that? Is this ok?

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Microthrix...I personally wouldn't be rooting/growing them in water, rot would be the biggest risk growing it this way and eventually decline.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

108 post over jade plants they are so popular

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

108 post over jade plants they are so popular

• greenjay
    11 years ago

O.K. my chapter to this story comes to an end as well.....my chunk suffered the same malady as everyone elses from this "seller".....rotted from the inside out... you live, you learn , I suppose...I have tried contacting the seller, but evidently his addy has been changed....go figure.......

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I can't imagine why you folks don't ALL post feedback showing your dissatisfaction(s).

As Jeff asked earlier, why on earth not?

Maybe if someone had, all of you might have had cause to think twice about this vendor.

I just don't understand people's reluctance here to leave truthful feedback when they've had bad experiences, it's a lot of you.

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

If you understand eBay's feedback system you'd understand why this seller has so much positive.

Once you leave feedback as a buyer, you can't retract. Most people leave it the day the apparently healthy plant arrives not knowing they're in for problems down the line.

I imagine that's the case with all of the people who have had a bad experience with this seller; including no telling how many not on Garden Web.

I used to do the same until I was screwed by a seller (montanaman59701). Now I wait until the last possible day as eBay's Customer Service suggested. And, I'll bet, so do these people from now on.

Buyers have 45 days from date paid to file a case to get money back if a purchase is misrepresentated or defective and 60 days to leave feedback. On day 59 I left negative for the above seller.

Linda (who buys and sells [paperbacks; not plants] on eBay)

• greenjay
    11 years ago

well, personally, it stinks, haha, just glad that it's over...I'll know better in the future....as for the seller, it bites that he'll get away with it from others, but I strongly believe in kharma, so it'll bite him eventually....

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Amen, greenjay, amen!

Linda

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Be an agent of Karma....bite him now. Seriously.
    Don't let others get taken. As they say, Evil prospers when good folks do nothing.
    I wouldn't want this on my conscience...that's bad karma, too.

Josh

• dan4279
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's exactly why I didn't leave negative feedback...by the time my stumps had rotted the time to leave feedback had run out.

Dan

• hookilau
    11 years ago

Piiiictuuuures pleasssssse =)