Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springtime23

Rhipsalis Propogation

springtime23
12 years ago

Hello everyone,

I was sent a cutting from a Rhipsalis plant, however I never had have this type of succulent before. I stuck the end in some moist AV mix, for now. The top is hanging over however. Does anyone have this succulent? If so, how long before it takes root? Thanks again everyone!

Brant

Comments (5)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Brant,

I don't remember, a couple of weeks maybe? It hanging over is likely OK, they can be trailing like hanging plants, that's how they're supposed to grow.

Perhaps do a little reading on Jungle or Holiday Cacti, so you can get an idea how they're cared for, differently than arid land cacti.

The key is understanding they come from the rain forest, so while they might get frequent rains, they don't really grow in soil, more the crotches & branches of trees, so they drain almost immediately & never sit in water. They like bright, dappled light, little direct sun.

• raelynn09
    11 years ago

I just received some in the garden center that I work in, and a few were lopsided. I hacked off a few cuttings and plan to bring them home. I was suggested by a coworker to use a little extra perlite than usual in the potting soil? I guess it won't hurt to try, seeing as it was a free cutting anyway!
    (I'm just a cashier in th GC, but I love it and am learning lots!)

I will let you know how mine goes if you do. :)

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

I have plenty of these ... over my days of reasearch i learned they like warmer temperatures, but not so much sun as they sit in the trees in rain forests, they also like more organic soil and a bit more of a regular watering
    -Zeck

• Ron4310
    11 years ago

I root all my succulents like these in moist vermiculite and put them in a plastic bag to save moisture.

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

I let the cuttings heal for a day or two and then lay them on the soil in a warm, moist, bright location. Outdoors here in June, roots form from the sides of the plants (the notches called aeroles) in about 2 weeks.

A good soil mix contains a lot of organic matter (as stated above), but I've found African Violet mix is too heavy and dries out too much or not enough. It is hard to maintain moist but not wet unless you water very carefully.

These plants have short hairy roots that hate to sit in water, but also hate to get bone dry unless the plant is resting (October for me).

For hanging types, in a Mid-Atlantic climate, I use those coir hanging baskets. Good potting soil is amended with tree leaves that grow around here-- birch, maple, filbert and such. Oak leaves are too stiff, walnut can be toxic to some plants (don't know about cacti). A few lawn clippings thrown in sometimes. The goal is to have a plant that can hang out in the rain, the soil stays somewhat moist. A week of no rain means it's time to water.

Do you know what kind of Rhipsalis it is? There is a good site at rhipsalis.com for ID.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner