Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dezzo77

Aloe Vera Cleanup

dezzo77
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I know someone who has this very neglected Aloe Vera and I'd like to help her clean it up and get it restored to good form, and most likely create several new plants in the process.

Any thoughts on where to begin?

It's such a mess that it's hard to get decent pictures of it, but I'll post a few.

Pic #1 is attached to this post.

Comments (8)

• dezzo77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #2

• dezzo77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #3

• dezzo77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #4

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

You should repot in a gritty mix soil. 2 parts pumice or decomposed granite etc and 1 part decomposed wood or cactus mix or something like that. Don't water for a while.

• dezzo77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I think we're going to have to do some pruning to this plant, so I'd like to get some advice on where to begin as I have no idea and I will be helping someone over video chat with the process.

Can anyone tell from the pictures where/if it should be cut?
    I have never worked with an Aloe before so have no idea which parts can be removed and repotted, discarded, etc.

It looks like there are a couple of babies in there as well, but I'm not sure.

We planned on repotting it into a cactus soil mixture with a wee bit of perlite added.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Dezzo,
    I think you can go crazy with the perlite. A wee bit doesn't sound like enough. Sorry I can't help about pruning, I don't grow Aloes myself. But, excellent drainage is suggested. :)

Planto

• dezzo77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I asked how often she waters the plant and she said about once a week. The plant is 10 years old and while it seems to need some major pruning or dividing, it's at least lived this long, so she must be doing something acceptable with the watering.

I was worried that the change from the soil she's using now (which appears in the pictures to be "chunky" and likely not the right type for the Aloe) to a cactus type mix, along with added perlite may make the new soil dry out in a different timeframe than she's used to, and then it might require her to change her watering habits.

This is the only plant she has and she often goes away for long periods, so I don't want to advise her to do something that will end up killing it.

When she showed me some pictures of the plant and I saw what a mess it was, I told her it looks like it needs to be cleaned up a bit, which I'll help her via via video chat in the coming months. But as I know nothing about Aloe plants, I'm here seeking advice. :)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

dezzo,
    Hmm, then that could pose some issues if you went crazy with ther perlite like I suggested, eh?I know fast draining is best for Aloes, but in the case of what your friend needs in a plant, I'd be hard pressed to say one way or the other as I would hate to tell you something that inadvertently kills your friend's Aloe. My apology.

Planto

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator