Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corpsmancooper

I couldn't help myself!

CorpsmanCooper
12 years ago

Naturally, knowing a certain store had a fresh shipment of succulents and cacti, I had to head back there! I made it out with a few new additions. Nothing rare by any stretch of the imagination but I'm excited about them none the less! So, here they are!

~Erin~

This is an unknown. All it says is Euphorbia Species on the label. ID anyone?

{{gwi:499006}}

This is labeled as an Opuntia vestita

{{gwi:499008}}

This is labeled as a Crassula obliqua 'tricolor'

{{gwi:499010}}

This is only labeled as Lithops species. ID anyone?

{{gwi:499013}}

This is labeled as Echeveria pulidonis. I'm excited because it has a bud forming

{{gwi:499015}}

This is interesting to me because I've never seen or hear of this one. It's labeled as Crassula duvia. Did they mean dubia?

{{gwi:499017}}

This is labeled as Echeveria 'lola' and it has two buds forming!

{{gwi:499019}}

I plan on putting this in a hanging basket. It's labeled as Senecio radicans glauca.

{{gwi:499021}}

I also plan on putting this in a hanging basket and it's labeled as Crassula marginalis rubra 'variegata'

{{gwi:499023}}

Comments (19)

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

Very nice - just got the last crassula last week for myself. Good luck with the new babies!

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Really like that Senecio! And the Opuntia, in its hairy glory.

Lucky everyone, with places actually getting spring shipments already!

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Erin: Fantastic! And I know exactly what you mean about not being able to help yourself. :)

Photo #1: I think Rosemarie could ID for you. I was thinking Opuntia subulata (which she was able to ID for someone else recently), but comparing the two, it's certainly not that.

Photo #2: I think that's a correct ID.

Photo #3: Looks correct to me.

Photo #4: I'll be delighted if someone can ID the species for you on this one - I've had a few of this species, and they all come with the same label as yours. %P

Photo #5: No clue if it's a correct ID, but it sure is pretty!

Photo #6: Oh, shucks, I used to have this one! I do believe "dubia" is correct.

Photo #7: Comparing this to another 'lola' ["The rest of my purchase"] I think it is a 'lola."

Photo #8: No idea, but it sure is neat! I want one!

Photo #9: I'm not 100%, but the name sure sounds right.

*CG*

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

I think the Lithops is marmorata!?

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

With it warming up & spring around the corner, I think we'll be seeing plenty of folks here posting their cartjumpers! Wheee! You got quite a haul, Erin! :D Congrats!

On the first one, it does look similar to one I just bought (as CG mentioned), but not the same. Mine is supposedly a Euphorbia hybrid, but I've found they get labeled as such when the seller doesn't know what it is. Something like putting "sp." (species) on the label-generic labeling. I'd need to see a detailed pic of the flowers to attempt an ID.

2nd, I used to have...yes, (just a tweak on name) Opuntia vestita f. cristata.

3rd, some may argue, but I believe obliqua is no longer used-having been lumped in with ovata. But, yes, that is Crassula 'Tricolor'.

4th, as Rian suggested, it could be a type of Lithops marmorata, but I'm leaning more toward a subspecies of Lithops lesliei. There are so many ssp. & var., it would be hard to figure out exactly.

5th, yes, Echeveria pulidonis! The yellow blooms will be a treat!

6th, I believe Crassula cotyledonis is being used instead of C. dubia.

7th, yes, Echeveria 'Lola'.

8th, yes, Senecio radicans (why many have added glauca, I can't be sure-if it's a ssp. or var.?), common name: String of Bananas.

9th, to me, this is Crassula pellucida ssp. marginalis. IF it picks up some really pink/maroon(?) coloring, then I'd tack on 'Variegata', even though cultivar names are not supposed to be latinized. I can't tell from the pic if the pink is there.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Erin,

A certain store? Now, why won't you tell us which one? lol

I must say you got yourself some beauties! Congrats.
    You know, I never see any of the few that you got anywhere locally. Nice.

Mike

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

ERIN!

I just found the most amazing site that might help you ID your Lithops! I was looking for resources for succulent taxonomy (class, order, family), and found this when I clicked on their "Lithops" link: Online Guide to the Positive ID of Succulent Families - Genus: Lithops

BTW, if anyone ever gives you guff about being some "weird plant girl," you can now say you know someone even weirder who gets off on learning plant taxonomy. :)

*CG*

Here is a link that might be useful: Online Guide to the Positive ID of Succulent Families - Genus: Lithops

• paul_
    12 years ago

Some nice plants, Erin! Had I known you were interested in S. radicans, I would have offered to sent you a cutting of mine.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Good haul! If you get tired of them you can just pack them up and send them my way!

My Echeveria lola is blooming and the blossoms seem to be aphid magnets. I've been keeping a spray bottle with soap/water in it handy and check them each morning to keep them under control.

Penny

• CorpsmanCooper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all! I wish I could get a ID on the Euphorbia. Rose Marie I will take a picture when it blooms. I've gone back twice since and bought a string of pearls as well. I'm really holding back LOL. I actually bought all of these at Lowe's. No big secret LOL

~Erin~

• CorpsmanCooper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CG - shall I send you one of #8 since you've been so kind to me?

~Erin~

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Erin: Ooohhh...tempting... I'm gonna say hold off for now (*iiieeeee!!!!* I know, am I nuts??). I'm currently trying to come up with a clever solution to my rapidly-dwindling space problem. (Hubby is starting to lose patience with me and my plants - they've sort of taken over the kitchen.) I also just brought home a TON of leaf cuttings recently and I still need to get them into some prop trays. But soon...very soon...oohhh, that Senecio sure is lovely! :)

*CG*

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Erin, your Euphorbia IS blooming right now. :) Well, technically, they are called cyathia. Do you have a camera that can get in focus macro shots? Or at least, from the top of the plant (in focus) to show more detail? The cyathia on your plant are the yellow things...like these, on mine:
    {{gwi:499025}}From Cart-jumpers SDCSS Feb 2012

• CorpsmanCooper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RoseMarie - they're almost identical! This is about as good a picture as I could get. I'm sorry for the quality!

~Erin~

{{gwi:499026}}

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Thanks for the additional pic, Erin. Yes, the cyathia is similar, but as you say "almost identical". That's why a clear, detailed pic is needed. Maybe you can tell me this, as I cannot tell (if the pic was taken indoors, etc.) if they are yellow or green?

~Rosemarie

• CorpsmanCooper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They look green to me. Of course against the actual plant they look yellow but I believe they're green. My camera doesn't take very good micro pictures.

~Erin~

• ChemGardner
    12 years ago

E. pulidonis is pretty, but a realllly slow grower in my experience.

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Erin: (posting here, rather than PM, cuz it seems the PMs don't always make it to you) OK! I've got your plants de-soiled, wrapped and packaged, and I've got pick-up scheduled for Monday. They should get to you hopefully by the end of next week. :) Yay! They're all bare-root (with the exception of the cuttings, which don't have any roots), so be sure to get them potted soon after they arrive. And, lastly, they're the non-Aloes that I had originally been keeping in the same box as the Aloe that ended up with aloe cancer; they should all be fine, but I'm just reminding you, in case you feel like maybe you want to keep them separate from the rest of your plants for a bit. Oh, and I look forward to pics once they've had a chance to settle in at their new home! :)

OMG, it's 81-degrees out right now, and it's still only February! My plants that normally get direct sun are starting to show signs of a little baking! I'm gonna have to start moving things around so no one gets too toasty as the season progresses.

*CG*

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

I'm hoping the big box stores have the variegated jades in my area.