Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
photoreilly

Trichereus pachanoi (San Pedro) from seed

photoreilly
11 years ago

Hey this is my first post to this forum along with my first time growing cacti from seed. I recently started over 100 seeds. I had top soil, perlite, sand, seed starting mix. Between those I made a couple different combinations so I can see what works best. I have them each in individual containers with either a clear lid, cling wrap or plastic bag with holes poked it it. All mixtures were cleaned in the microwave. I have 2, 42 watt cfl's. They are set on 18/6 light cycle. Along with a heating pad set on the same timer underneath the containers. The containers have an internal temperature of about 80-90 degrees F during the day and about 65-70 during dark hours. I was wanting to know what you guys thought of my setup. Are there any improvements I could make, because I am by no means an expert on cactus from seeds. When do you guys tend to see sprouts? I'm on day 5. I am glad to keep you guys and gals all updated with results and pictures. I'm looking forward to everyone's feedback

Comments (31)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

photoreilly,
    Welcome. I did the same thing only not as all out as you did. I used a take home container (with the clear top). Used regular soil mix with more sand added. Kept soil moist (not wet) and covered. It was in a warm spot until I saw sprouts them put in a window. They sprouted in about a week or so. Looked like grass at first.
    {{gwi:469399}}
    {{gwi:469399}}
    {{gwi:499404}}
    {{gwi:499405}}
    I still have a lot to give away to anyone who wants. They are Cereus peruvianus.
    Stush

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

Oh! I'd love a C. peruvianus seedling, Stush!

Best of luck, Photoreilly! Definitely keep us updated. I would like to know how it turns out for you.

• photoreilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the follow up. So you think my mix ingredients sound ok? Today is day six. None of the San Pedro's have sprouted but 2 or so of a mixed column cactus packet I got have sprouted. I also planted dorstenia mix pack and C. Bilobum all under the same mix and same conditions as the Pedro's. Has anyone had any luck with these from seed?

• photoreilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll diffidently keep you updated with pictures when I see results. Does anyone else have any experience or pictures with these? I'm open to all advice. When do you tend to see the first sprouts.m
    Thanks

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I just planted some dragon fruit seeds..acually just threw some dragon fruit goop into a tupper ware with potting soil and stuck it in the hot box ( heating pad on 1 hour off 1 hour all day and a grow light ) after about a week I have 40-50 seedlings. there hitting the top of the tupperware so I need to remove the lid soon. good luck with yours. Im not that patient I'll get some san pedro cuttings and go from there.

• alkh86
    11 years ago

I have a few sprouting right now. These were sown 6 days ago.

• photoreilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey alkh86 what's your mix your using or setup in general. Thanks

11 years ago

123Greta,
    I got you on my list. Contact me or I'll contact you come spring when it is warmer out. Postage should be $2 to $3 sent 1st. class. They are currently 2" high. This past summer I sent out all the larger ones 2 - 3 inches and these are from what's left. Still have about 30 or so.
    Stush

• alkh86
    11 years ago

photoreilly

I'm still new at this so I'm still experimenting.
    My mix is basic c&s mix with a little sand added.
    My set up is an armoir converted to a little grow house. I don't know what kind of lights they are as this set up was given to me.

• alkh86
    11 years ago

With doors open

• alkh86
    11 years ago

As you.can see, I use mostly food containers for my seed starters..

• alkh86
    11 years ago

This is the containers the little guys are in

• alkh86
    11 years ago

Here they are, now 7 days old

• photoreilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No heating pad? alkh86 those look really nice mine are as we'll at 7 days but just one has sprouted. Do you air them out with holes or opening the lid?

• photoreilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yeah what's your mix you are using

• alkh86
    11 years ago

photoreilly
    I haven't used a heating pad, but I've been considering it. The temperature in there usually stays in the mid to high 70's and may dip to the high 60's on a cold night. Living where I am in Florida means a really cold night is like 65 degrees F outside..
    The containers don't have air holes. I just open the lid every couple of days to check out their progress.
    I'm using basic cacti/succulent mix you can get at Home Depot or Walmart with some sand mixed in..
    Fingers crossed you start seeing more sprouts. I'd love to see some pics of your progress.
    Here is a cacti mix I started about a month ago...

• alkh86
    11 years ago

Btw photoreilly, crazy coincidence we started them the same day!

• 100mphtortoise
    11 years ago

Heres a pic of a couple of stush's offspring from last year there about five inchs now.

• photoreilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alkh86 that is pretty funny. I'm using a mix with quite a bit more drainage then yours. But then again, I did start like 6 different mixtures to see which works best.

• photoreilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey 100mph those look nice. What kind are they?

• photoreilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yeah alkh86 sorry one more thing. What is your lighting cycle
    Thanks everyone for all the follow ups

11 years ago

100mphtortoise,
    Looking good. Are you feeding them? They are growing fast for you.

photoreilly,
    I gave him Cereus peruvianus seedlings from the ones above.
    Stush

• 100mphtortoise
    11 years ago

Stush, yes im feeding them, not much right now because its winter were im at and the room ive got them in has indirect sun. I really like them thanks.

• alkh86
    11 years ago

photoreilly,

I'm still experimenting with the light cycles. Right now it's around 12 on 12 off. I don't have a timer so it varies.

• photoreilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok. I just checked. I saw maybe 20 or 30 that cracked. They haven't sprouted yet but they're close I think. I would post pictures but I don't think my camera could show the cracked seeds too well. But first green I'm posting a picture.

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

I'd most definitely appreciate that, Stush. I will talk to you about it in a couple months. Thanks so much! :)

• miketropic
    11 years ago

how long does everyone leave the top on to keep up the humidity? my dragon fruits are hitting the top of the container so I'm going to have to make up my mind soon. I just dont want the heat pad to dry them all out.

11 years ago

Mike,
    Don't know what to tell you. I don't want to be reasonable for you loosing your seedlings. But you do know that you will have to start to remove the top and probably don't need the heat pad now. Try to leave it propped up a few inches to start with. See what happens.

• photoreilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey everyone I just wanted to update on how my seedlings are doing and wanted to see if alkh86 would want to post his seedlings because we happen to have started on the same day. 3 days ago they got moved from the cfl's to a T5. They really seem to be responding well to it because the needles on top have doubled in these 3 days. I still have them in the container with the lid should I start getting them used to dryer conditions if I plan on grafting with them in about a month?

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

Looking good, Photoreilly!

• photoreilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. They're coming right along. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting them ready for grafting. These will be my first go at it.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio