Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reggie

Field Trip: San Diego Cactus and Succulent Society Winter Show

reggie
10 years ago

It's time for a field trip everyone! Some of you need to warm up this winter so how about going to the lovely warm San Diego!

I have been sitting on these for a long time now trying to label them all but----whoeee to that. It's been taking me way toooo looooong. So you will get it as it is. Ha.

Here are some to wet your whistle.

Euphorbia decaryi
{{gwi:499509}}

Haworthia truncata
{{gwi:499515}}

{{gwi:499527}}

Lachenalia hybrid
{{gwi:499529}}

{{gwi:499532}}

So which ones did you like best after checking them all out over at flickr?? (get the html code on flickr and post the shot here) Curious to know!

Enjoy!!! And feel the warmth.

Flickr set link to view them all! (and link below)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reggie1/sets/72157640752642784/

Here is a link that might be useful: Tons more shots of the show on flickr!

Comments (13)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Thanks for the show.

I like your pile of turbans in a square pot.

Sure wish I knew the names of more succulents.

tj

P.S. The dogs are lookin' cool as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: This one-Euphorbia obesa

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Wow! Great shots! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure everyone wishes they could make that show. I'd have to leave my money at home, I'm afraid, or come back with the whole show.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

OooEee, Thanks for the virtual show, Regina! Sorry I missed it!

I have to remember to get more individual shots next time (like I used to do), because yours look FABULOUS! Nice lighting, everything looks great! Thanks for naming so many. I know how overwhelming processing pix can be.

The SIZE on some of these specimens is AMAZING! I always love Kelly Griffin's Aloe hybrids. I'm guessing none of Jordi's plants were in the show, since he was a judge this time.

I have one of those Lachenalia ~but mine does not look as good as that one! :P

Echeverias are a fave of mine. This one looks particularly good: (maybe 'Ebony') --oops, tried to put pic within post, GW giving weird message, won't let me.

Like all the Haworthia. Love anything variegated~ H. limifolia above is terrific!

Thanks for sharing your pix!
    Like the Kalanchoe synsepala too.

• reggie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks tj, hanzrobo, and roro! It was a gorgeous day to spend in San Diego. Wish you all were there to share it with but alas pictures will have to do this time.

Hanz...one of these days we will get you to a show. I think you would have a blast AND be broke, yes. The Central Coast Show is coming up in San Luis Obispo. Perhpaps?

Roro - Jordy did have some entries even though he helped judged. I think that he just excludes himself from those classes for the judging time. Kelly Griffin was the main judge for the show. It was fun listening to the thought process of the judges. They were carrying around a mic to talk to the crowd as they judged. Yes, the size of some of the specimens were astounding!

Are these the ones you were thinking of? Yes...

Echeveria 'Ebony'
    {{gwi:499534}}

{{gwi:499537}}

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yes! Those are them! Love 'em!

Aha, on Jordi's entries.

I don't think I've ever been there when they judged. I wasn't' aware they talked about it, unless this is a new thing.

Jeff is at Ryan's right now. I imagine they are having a ton of succulent fun! Yes, we'll have to get Ryan to a show!

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

Those pictures made my day. So kind of you to share them on this Forum .
    Pat

• cardiovascular
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing these!

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Gorgeous. Thank you (and everyone) so much for taking pictures at these shows.

• hijole
    10 years ago

What a show indeed beautiful plants thanks for taking us along for the Field tríp.

Greg

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I was there listening to Kelly as well. Too bad I didn't get to meet you.

Didn't see this one on your flickr, so here's my photo. I loved the Aloe pearsonii. If only I could find one to buy!
    {{gwi:499539}}

This post was edited by hoovb on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 18:50

• Neysa
    10 years ago

thanks so much for sharing ..............I was drooling over some of those plants. And the amazing pots some people use.............wow.............is all I can say!!!!!

Neysa in Cali

• reggie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing the field trip virtually with me everyone. So glad that you liked it. If you have never been to a cactus and succulent society show and sale, I would encourage you to check it out in your local area. You will see some incredible plants and be inspired....oh, the people are ok too. haha

hoovb - I saw that one too. Such a nice plant that was!

And voted by me as the one I would most like to take home.....

Wowsa!
    {{gwi:499541}}

• azpedsrn
    10 years ago

I love the third one down! Love it!