Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alphabet Game

Posted by dellis530 6B (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 23:34

Thanks for humoring me with these silly posts guys. Its 36 days until the plants go out (weather permitting) and I'm really bugging now.

Another post I remember seeing in these forums long ago was the Alphabet Game. The Aeoninium post reminded me of it. The first person posts as many plants as they want that start with "A". Can be a botanical, scientific or common name. Can be the whole genus name or a cultivar name. The only rule is it has to be a plant you own or used to own. Everyone can add to the "A's" if you want. Then someone post a "B" plant, get it? The letter changes when someone posts the next letter. It should be fun.

Denise

I'll start with my Aeonium sp.
Photobucket

and Alluadiaprocera.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alphabet Game

Alrighty, I'm game.

Aeonium arboreum luteovariegatum

Agave lophantha 'Quadricolor'

o

Aloe and some Agave in the beginning of this week. Denise I am going to enjoy this post. Have a great day all! Paula
Can't remember handle

o

Denise, you have great ideas for threads. I'll play, but I'm going to suggest we make this the "A" thread because I can already see where this is going.

Aloinopsis malherbei
Photobucket

Argyroderma sp.
Photobucket

o

Another good one, Denise! We've done this many times (on several forums). You've expanded the rules on this one. You could be in the A's for quite awhile! LOL One thing to consider, if things have not changed here...I believe they only allow for 100 posts per thread. You might not make it to the end of the alphabet. In the past, there was only 1 plant per letter of the alphabet, so you had to hurry if you had a particular lettered plant you wanted to post & it had to be your own. If/when we got to the end, we started over.

Fun way to see folks' plants!

Astroworthia bicarinata (or skinneri, depending who you ask):

o

Woah, Rosemarie, that plant is awesome.

o

Anacampseros/Avonia papyracea without & with bloom

Anacampseros baeseckei, first blooms

Avonia quinaria ssp. quinaria 1st bloom I caught-plus potted up

Aloe striata with bud (I've been told these are variable & this is NOT a hybrid)

Adromischus cristata v. zeyheri

There are many more in the 'A's, but I have to get some chores done here! LOL

o

The second shot of the Avonia quinaria ssp. quinaria is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. The stump just gives it charm. And the blooms on the Anacampseros/Avonia papyracea-- swoon!!

Aeonium 'Ballerina,' favorite furious grower

o

...ok guys, here's one of my Adeniums for you.....
Photobucket

and one of my Agave sisalanas...
Photobucket
Gill from the UK.

o

I am a sucker for variegated plants..any!

Ryan, I like your mesembs! I think I still have one Aloinopsis that still lives~LOL, but fear I killed the only Argyroderma I had.

Colleen, glad you like my plants. I may have to beg a pc of A. 'Ballerina' off you. :P I used to have it, but it's gone now. I have a different variegated Aeonium, whose name I can't recall at the moment!

Gill, nice little Adenium (thanks for the pen for size ref)! Nice to see a regular Agave sisalana. I have a variegated one (at least, I think so). I'm going to go compare. It was sold to me as a Furcraea. Just looked-the shape of my leaves is not the same-it doesn't have the curve in the leaf. (back to the drawing board)

o

Oh, yeah, you don't have 'Ballerina'? Well, surprise I've got something you don't! I'll make a note. :)

o

Ha ha, yep..Colleen, don't have that one. =D Thanks!

Sooo...we're still on the 'A's, eh? Ready for some MORE???

Some more: Aeonium hybrid (urbicum x canariense - I believe) & 'Zwartkop' (one of my favorite shots):

Aloes...a large-toothed hemmingii I wish I still had!

Aloe juvenna, hybrid from PA Pete, Aloe 'Sparkling Beauty'

Aloinopsis schooneesii

o

Wowee,
I was gone all day (visiting my daughters soon to be college) and when I get back I see at least 10 more plants I MUST have. You guys have been holding out, seriously start putting more pics up!

Rosemarie - If this post gets to full we can just start another thread. I think I saw this one time on the tropicals forum and everyone had so much fun that they started over when they got to "Z". We could just wait til theres a lull and then post the next letter? No pressure, we can just wing it too.

Denise

o

Oh, the A. urbicum x canariense is really something else. The size of those, and the reds!

o

Ariocarpus retusus v. furfuraceus -Las Tablas

Astrophytum hybrid

Astrophytum hybrid

Astrophytum sp.

Astrophytum myriostigma v. columnare cv. minima (cv. Huboki)

Astrophytum coahuilense x. A. asterias

Astrophytum asterias nudum

Astrophytum myriostigma

Matthew

o

*iiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!* :) :) :)

I lovelovelovelovelove those Astrophytums!!!! Oh, I'm swooning! I'm swooning! I'm falling! I'm- *THUD* ow! I fell. Oh! And I'm still swooning! I can't- I can't look anymore! Too cute! Yumminess overload! Shutdown! Shutdown!

I have to crawl into my sensory deprivation chamber now...

*CG*

o
No, but seriously...

*ahem* Ok, but on a more serious note, I was gonna take some pics of some of my "A" plants, but as I was going through them this morning I noticed some of my plants seemed fairly stressed - so I ended up spending half the day repotting. Then I got sucked into other things. So I'll have to join in the Alphabet Game later, maybe tomorrow. But I'm loving everyone's contributions so far! Great show!

*CG*

o

Aloe castilloniae
Aloe castilloniae

Aloe plicatilis
Aloe plicatilis

Anacampseros telephiastrum
Anacampseros telephiastrum

Aloinopsis rubrolineata
Aloinopsis rubrolineata
Ammocharis coranica
Ammocharis coranica
Avonia alstonii
Avonia alstonii flower detail

o

That Aloe castilloniae made me dizzy. Must google it and calm down. lol

Denise

o

Agave desmettiana variegata
Photobucket
Agave isthmensis ohi raijin
Photobucket
Agave parryi cream Spike
Photobucket

o

These are two fellows that have been with me for 35 years one as an original plant and the other as off springs. I know most people wish for their plants to bloom but the agave I do not. He is an old friend and I would hate to lose him.
Photobucket
I was drunk and 23 when I took this aloe from the neighbor of Mark Pendergast, hence the name. The parent plant was the size of a house.
Photobucket
I have been enjoying this post. Everyone's plants are awesome and thank you for sharing with me! PaulaPhotobucket

o

Matthew, GREAT Astrophytum & Ariocarpus!

Keith, wonderful plants & pots, as usual! I saw an Aloe castilloniae at the recent show as well. Just made me want it more! Didn't realize that Anacampseros had that caudex! Guess I'll have to lift one of mine to see. Love the blooms on A. rubrolineata & the Avonia. You managed to come up with one I haven't seen before: Ammocharis coranica! Nice!!

VERY nice Agaves, longaeva54!! Love the variegated guys!

Paula, that IS a VERY old Agave! Congrats! No, you don't want it flowering...just yet!

A couple more 'A's before moving on to the 'B's...
Aichryson tortuosum, an unknown Aichryson & Aptenia cordifolia

Astrophytum asterias (2), Astrophytum capricorne v niveum (2)

Variegated Agave sisalana (AFAIK)

As far as I know, Agave franzosinii, as seen on one of my dog walks (it's a monster!):

Who wants to start the 'B' plants?? :P

o

Rosie: Should we keep all the letters in the same thread, or start a new one for each letter?

*CG*

o
RE: Alphabet Game -separate threads for letters?

Ask Denise! A new thread for each letter sounds more organized. Then if folks come along down the road-can still add to each letter!

o

Ok.

Denise: A new thread for each letter? :)

o

I vote (lol if there is a vote) for a different thread for each letter. PaulaPhotobucket

o

Sounds good to me. That makes more sense if someone comes in the middle.

Denise

o
My 'A' game

Ok, I've brought my "A" game! :) I know some folks have moved on to the B's, but I don't have any B's (that I know of, anyway), so here are my A's.

Adromischus maculatus 'Calico Hearts'
Photobucket

Aeonium
Aeonium sp.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Agave
Agave sp.
Photobucket
The Agave closer to the front/foreground was sent to me by Stush; the one further back I found on campus and am hoping will root. I don't know either species.

Aloes
Aloe brevifolia 'Crododile Plant'
Photobucket
Well, so says the label on the pot.

Aloe 'Blue Elf' (Erin's)
Photobucket
One of the aloes I got for Erin, but am holding on to, to see if it comes down with aloe cancer.

Aloe 'Blue Elf' (mine)
Photobucket
My own 'Blue Elf' that I bought sometime...last year? The year before?

Aloe californium
Photobucket
One of my recovering sisters from last fall/winter.

Aloe 'Lizard Lips'
Photobucket

Aloe 'Whalemsly's Blue' (Erin's)
Photobucket
The other aloe I got for Erin that I'm keeping an eye on for aloe cancer.

Aloe 'Zanzibar'
Photobucket
I remember that 'Zanzibar' isn't its real name, but I'm too lazy to look up the thread where the name was clarified.

Aloinopsis
Aloinopsis malherbii
Photobucket

Aloinopsis rubrolineata
Photobucket
A spent/faded flower tucked in there somewhere...

Anacampseros
Anacampseros lubersii
Photobucket
A pale shadow of its former glory, but still kicking nonetheless.

Anacampseros rufescens
Photobucket

*CG*

o

Photobucket
Jeff this is the pic of the Adenia species that the new kitten was laying in it's pot.

Photobucket
white flowered Adenium
adenium liliput
Adenium 'liliput' in bloom
Aeonium atropurpureum 'Schwarzopf'

Amorphophallus bulbifera
Sorry I know this is not a succulent but I have had this forever and it finally bloomed last year! It does start with an A lol!Amorphophallus bulbifera
adenim
unnamed adenium

o

Kat: Wow, that Amorphophalus is amazing! Succulent or not, thanks for sharing!

*CG*

o
beautiful plants

beautiful plants every one, i want one of everything! this is almost as good going to a real show, thank you all for sharing your fantastic plants i am in awe!
Ronda

o

I thought everyone forgot about Adromischus so I went and took some photos before the sun went down, come back here and CG beat me to it! Great post by the way, Jessica, very thorough. I love those greyish/lavender Aeoniums you have. I'm also a big fan of Anacampseros, I didn't even think of those.

I'd really like to have a wider variety of these.

Adromischus festivus
Adromischus festivus

Adromischus oviforme
Adromischus oviforme

Adromischus I cannot identify that seems happy despite being planted in beach sand mix by an inexperienced dummy (me).
Photobucket
BTW, great flowers, Katluvr!

o

Ryan: The "Calico Hearts" is the only Adromischus I have; I'm thrown every time I read the latin name, I'm so unfamiliar with it. :) I love the ones you posted! I'm also partial to Anacampseros. Hope to grow out my collection over time. Of course, that goes for all of my plants. :)

*CG*

o

Yay, Jessica's Aeoniums!!

I love the Adromischus festivus. Such a beauty.

o

Jessica, Thanks for bringing your 'A' game! Beautiful plants! Loved it! I could go on for quite some time with Aloes...then add the other Agave, few Adromischus & Anacampseros...I'd be here all day! (better not)
I have a couple tweaks for your names: Aloe californium is probably Aloe 'California'
Spelling 'Walmsley's Blue'
'Zanzibar' is really Aloe juvenna

Ryan, thanks for posting your Adromischus festivus! I have this-tagged as A. cooperi, knew in the back of my head that wasn't right, but forgot to check it out.

Ronda, I gasped when I saw the pic of your first Adenia! LOVE the leaves...shape & variegation! Wow! Do you have a species name on it?? Gorgeous Adenium blooms & brave girl to have the Amorphophallus...or doesn't it stink? Neat plant!

Everyone has helped to put on a great show! Thanks!

o

Hi *CG*, Thanks so much, glad you like the "A" it is an odd plant to be sure, and BTW if you ever decide to de-pup your Aloe brevifolia I would love to trade you something for a pup or send postage whatever you decide, I love that plant!I am also wanting a variegated one as well if you happen upon one!

Rosemarie, Thank you I have had that Adenia since 1982. The only name I have for it is Adenia species # 2, it came from Ed Storms.As for the Amorphopallus believe it or not it dose not smell bad, but then I have not stuck my nose to it lol, it was sitting outside so I guess if it smells it was greatly diluted!
Every one your plants are so wonderful,I am planning to make more room for more plants some how, thanks to you all, I gotta have one of each lol! Ronda

o

Rosie: Yeah, after I posted, I realized the mistake on the 'California', and I couldn't remember what the 'Zanzibar' was and was feeling too lazy to look it up. Thanks for the spelling correction on 'Walmsley's Blue'. I had a feeling it wasn't quite right, but again, feeling lazy...

*CG*

o

Aloe marlothii

Christopher

o

Aloe Vera
Note, this one is deceased, I am growing three large pups of it.
I just don't have pics of them
Photobucket

o

Here's me coming in really late! My favorite 2 agaves ovatifolia and gentryi jaws.

Photobucket

o

Here is Aptenia cordifolia, of which I rescued a couple of cuttings from the Chamber of Commerce's planter outside when it was going down to zero F the next night. I guess it is a problem plant in warm areas, but not so here, where it has to be in a pot so it can come inside fo the winter. My old faithful Astrophytum ornatum is also a rescue from the back of the shelf at Wal Mart long ago. It is much bigger now, but blooms for me every year, so I still have it.

varigated Aptenia cordifolia

ApteniaBloom

Astrophytum ornatum

OrnatumBloom2

o

^ The varigated Aptenia cordifolia is beautiful. I'd want to scoop up that plant in a heartbeat. :)

o

If you want to trade for some, email me when it gets a little warmer.

o

I might take you up on that! :) That'd be wonderful. The variegation, plus the blooms, is too sweet.

Colleen

o

Ronda, send me an email about the A. brevifolia. I think I can help you out. :)

Christopher, your Aloe marlothii looks great! Similar to one I have, but I still don't know if that's it or if it's A. aculeata. Yours looks much better than mine! :P

Nice Aloe vera, Andrew. Glad to hear you still have pups from it!

Never too late, Chad! Two GREAT Agaves you have there!

One of these days I will grow some variegated Aptenia too! Love it. Interesting your Astrophytum has very little speckling (white scales), aseedisapromise. Nice plants!

~Rosemarie

o

Hi Caudex1, where'd you buy your ammocharis? I have looked for one, but cant find any online vendors (in this country anyway)

All the photos are beautiful!

o

So will you still be interested in checking out a new farming simulation game when it hits Facebook? Here we mean Astro Garden. --- mmohunter

Here is a link that might be useful: Free MMORPG

o

Hi rosemarie. I think that my Astrophytum is greener because there is much less sun here in South Dakota than there is in the plateaus of central Mexico. The white dots are for sun protection I think. I am just happy it can get a flower or two.

o

A friend brought me an old (40+yo) Astrophyum to make a pot and stage for her. This is what it looked like. It has been in that pot for more than 20yrs
Astrophytum before

...and this is what I came up up with, she was very happy with the result.
Astrophytum after

o

Aloe Vera ?

momma aloe w/ inflo
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

pups from last summer
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o

Here are some of my "A" plants.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Aloe Pink

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here