Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaparralgirl

Tri-tri-tri-tri-, trigona!

chaparralgirl
12 years ago

*to the tune of "My Sharona"*

Just got back from vacationing in Maryland (which was surprisingly warm for this time of year); while visiting a friend, I noticed that she had a lovely cactus-like plant that reminds me quite of a Euphorbia. So I did what any good C&S fanatic would do - I pulled out my camera and started snapping shots. A quick online search has me thinking this lovely is a E. trigona, but I just want to check with my much more learned associates here. :) My apologies for the lighting - I found it to be a bit dark.

{{gwi:500563}}

{{gwi:500564}}

{{gwi:500565}}

{{gwi:500566}}

{{gwi:500567}}

{{gwi:500568}}

{{gwi:500569}}

Verdicts?

*CG*

Comments (20)

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

I would say, not E. trigona. Looks something like it, but on E. trigona, the branches stay close to the main stem, don't tend to spread out as much as on this Euphorbia.

Christopher

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Oh, also the leaves are too tiny for trigona. E. trigona leaves are much larger.

Christopher

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

CG,

That's different from E. trigona, although in the same cactus-like subtribe.

Try www.euphorbia.de for your ID pleasures. We haven't seen Euphorbia Frank for some time, but his wonderful site serves on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia in Thuringia

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gentlemen, your input is much appreciated. At least I know it's a Euphorbia. Cactus, I took a peak at that site you suggested, and HOLY BAT, HATMAN, that's a lot of Euphorbia to go through! I think I might be tackling this one a bit at a time. :)

If anyone else has any thoughts on what this is, please chime in!

*CG*

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Someone ,please open the curtains. Poor thing is so etiolated.

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wanton: Y'know, I hadn't thought about that. I guess I just figured that's what it was supposed to look like. I'll let my friend know. Thanks for pointing it out!

*CG*

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

That is my guess. I am not hugely familiar with Euforbias. My husband once bit one that I had at my door after a drunk night. I married him anyway. We had that plant for years , bite mark and all till I left it out during a freeze.

• MojaveLove
    12 years ago

Your husband bit a euphorbia? O_O

They are poisonous. It can cause painful swelling on skin, can't imagine if even the teeniest bit is ingested.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

It didn't do a think to him. It must have been that the Tequila was an antidote.

12 years ago

Mara,

As you may know, the juices from the leaves of Aeonium lindleyi are a palliative to Euphorbia sap - my friend was severely burned by sap from one of the worst E. (E. abdulkuri) and the juices eased the pain considerably.

But tequila heals almost all wounds, self-inflicted or otherwise.

12 years ago

of the aforementioned Euphorbia...well, here's that Euphorbia...it grows almost to the sea on a small island off of Soqotra.

{{gwi:496571}}

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, wow! Official swoon! Waaaaaant!

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Aforementioned Euphorbia is pretty handsome. I dig the silver-gray and that texture there.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Amazing that a big plant like that grows in a little pot. Is that a pup sprouting at the base of it? I had to enlarge it to see if it was a rock, but it sure looked like a pup to me.

• cahac
    12 years ago

chaparralgirl
    looks like might be E Lactea but should have a trace of white
    down center of stalks
    cliff

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Jeff -

That E. abdulkuri is sweet...where does one find one of those? Poked around a bit with no luck.

Want one...

T

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Woah! Just find a 5" tall one on ebay for 100 smackers!

Might be out of my price range right now...how tall is yours, Jeff? It is worth about $200/foot...

T

Here is a link that might be useful: Pricey abdelkuri!

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

First Euphorbia is indeed E lactea (not trigona)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Yes your Euphorbia is a 'Lactea'. I have a very large one. I also have the creasted ones and the Ghost sport. They start very easily from just a small piece of stem. Mine is getting quite old and the trunk is turning into wood.
    {{gwi:500570}}
    {{gwi:117337}}
    My crested ones,
    {{gwi:500571}}
    My red trigona,
    {{gwi:500572}}
    I got a one inch piece of this to begin with. Doubled it's size in 6 months.
    If any one wants a section of my E. Lactea, I can cut off some to send out.

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

E. lactea. Awesome. I will let my friend know what her plant is. :) Thanks, everyone!

Stush: You sent me something that kind of looks like your lactea. Was it cut from it?

*CG*