Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tri-tri-tri-tri-, trigona!

Posted by chaparralgirl Sonoran Desert CA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 23:59

*to the tune of "My Sharona"*

Just got back from vacationing in Maryland (which was surprisingly warm for this time of year); while visiting a friend, I noticed that she had a lovely cactus-like plant that reminds me quite of a Euphorbia. So I did what any good C&S fanatic would do - I pulled out my camera and started snapping shots. A quick online search has me thinking this lovely is a E. trigona, but I just want to check with my much more learned associates here. :) My apologies for the lighting - I found it to be a bit dark.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Verdicts?

*CG*

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tri-tri-tri-tri-, trigona!

I would say, not E. trigona. Looks something like it, but on E. trigona, the branches stay close to the main stem, don't tend to spread out as much as on this Euphorbia.

Christopher

o

Oh, also the leaves are too tiny for trigona. E. trigona leaves are much larger.

Christopher

o

CG,

That's different from E. trigona, although in the same cactus-like subtribe.

Try www.euphorbia.de for your ID pleasures. We haven't seen Euphorbia Frank for some time, but his wonderful site serves on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia in Thuringia

o
No-no-no-not trigona!

Gentlemen, your input is much appreciated. At least I know it's a Euphorbia. Cactus, I took a peak at that site you suggested, and HOLY BAT, HATMAN, that's a lot of Euphorbia to go through! I think I might be tackling this one a bit at a time. :)

If anyone else has any thoughts on what this is, please chime in!

*CG*

o

Someone ,please open the curtains. Poor thing is so etiolated.

o

Wanton: Y'know, I hadn't thought about that. I guess I just figured that's what it was supposed to look like. I'll let my friend know. Thanks for pointing it out!

*CG*

o

That is my guess. I am not hugely familiar with Euforbias. My husband once bit one that I had at my door after a drunk night. I married him anyway. We had that plant for years , bite mark and all till I left it out during a freeze.

o

Your husband bit a euphorbia? O_O

They are poisonous. It can cause painful swelling on skin, can't imagine if even the teeniest bit is ingested.

o

It didn't do a think to him. It must have been that the Tequila was an antidote.

o

Mara,

As you may know, the juices from the leaves of Aeonium lindleyi are a palliative to Euphorbia sap - my friend was severely burned by sap from one of the worst E. (E. abdulkuri) and the juices eased the pain considerably.

But tequila heals almost all wounds, self-inflicted or otherwise.

o
The Viscous, Caustic Yellow Sap

of the aforementioned Euphorbia...well, here's that Euphorbia...it grows almost to the sea on a small island off of Soqotra.

Photobucket

o

Oh, wow! Official swoon! Waaaaaant!

o

Aforementioned Euphorbia is pretty handsome. I dig the silver-gray and that texture there.

o

Amazing that a big plant like that grows in a little pot. Is that a pup sprouting at the base of it? I had to enlarge it to see if it was a rock, but it sure looked like a pup to me.

o

chaparralgirl
looks like might be E Lactea but should have a trace of white
down center of stalks
cliff

o

Jeff -

That E. abdulkuri is sweet...where does one find one of those? Poked around a bit with no luck.

Want one...

T

o
Big bucks!

Woah! Just find a 5" tall one on ebay for 100 smackers!

Might be out of my price range right now...how tall is yours, Jeff? It is worth about $200/foot...

T

Here is a link that might be useful: Pricey abdelkuri!

o

First Euphorbia is indeed E lactea (not trigona)

o

Yes your Euphorbia is a 'Lactea'. I have a very large one. I also have the creasted ones and the Ghost sport. They start very easily from just a small piece of stem. Mine is getting quite old and the trunk is turning into wood.
Photobucket
Photobucket
My crested ones,
Photobucket
My red trigona,
Photobucket
I got a one inch piece of this to begin with. Doubled it's size in 6 months.
If any one wants a section of my E. Lactea, I can cut off some to send out.

o

E. lactea. Awesome. I will let my friend know what her plant is. :) Thanks, everyone!

Stush: You sent me something that kind of looks like your lactea. Was it cut from it?

*CG*

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here