Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification and safety

Posted by SMagnolia_82 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 0:15

I have scoured the internet... And being a novice to this plant thing I was wondering, a) what are the names of these and b) are they poisonous to my cats? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification and safety

The dark ones is Echeveria dark prince. Mine survived 16F under a frost cloth.

o

To be precise, the plants on the left and right are Echeveria affinis 'Black Prince' and the one in the middle is an Echeveria or possibly Graptoveria.

o

Yes, agreed the dark ones are Echeveria 'Black Prince' (but a tweak- affinis should not be included in the name, as it is a parent plant & this is not a named cultivar of the species. Other parent is E. shaviana).
Two plants in the middle could be xGraptosedum 'Ghosty', but you'll need flowers to confirm.
In the back, could be Sedum rubrotinctum.

FYI, Your pic is upside down (on my laptop). If I look from my phone, it is right side up. :) I'm guessing it's posted from a cell phone?

o

They're not poisonous, but the kitties, if they initially chew on them, won't find them tasty. They may play with any detached leaves that they cause to fall, however.

RoRo, it's upside down here on a desktop, too, but I just stood on my head to right it.

o

It comes in upside down but when I clicked on it the image righted itself.

o

Thank you everyone! It's a huge relief to hear that they won't hurt the cats. I love having plants around and impulsively bought these without checking first. Sorry the pic was upside down I sent it from my iPhone.

o

They aren't poisonous, but my kitties do love them! As mentioned above, they don't taste good, so they won't eat them, but they can completely destroy them and leave them scattered all over the house. I have to keep all succulents completely out of reach now. Euphorbias are the most dangerous succulents for pets as far as I know, they are poisonous to animals and people, so just watch out for those!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here