Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Cactus-like succulent from madagascar?

amccour
15 years ago

I was recently at a home show and one of the vendors there was selling succulents. I saw this one succulent there which I remember reading about on the web -- it's supposed to be from Madagascar, and isn't a cactus but might be kind of related, somehow. The name started with an A and it looked kind of like an Ocotillo. I didn't get it, though, because it seemed sort of pricey.

Comments (8)

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

You obviously mean plants of the genus Alluaudia in Madagascar.
    There are 6 species: ascendens (rare), comosa (not often), dumosa (not often), humbertii (not often), montagnacii (rare) and procera (common in trade and easy to grow).
    This is Alluaudia procera in Wild Animal Park near Escondido,CA:

{{gwi:500953}}

{{gwi:500954}}

There are also 2 rare species of Alluaudiopsis: fiherensis and marnieriana.

Jordi

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

I planted procera last summer..went through our bay area winter just fine..a trio of floppy 30" plants. I also have montagnacii-the most splendid looking,and also incredibly slow. I cannot see how it combines such cold and wet tolerance..only to grow like a plant that needs 90f and 70f night before it will move it's butt a millimeter. Even in the tropics it must be a slow grower.

• amccour
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah, great. Yeah, it was a Alluaudia procera that I saw. It was probably about six inches tall, I'd estimate, and 20 dollars. Is that what they usually cost? I might try and order one in this summer when I'm working again.

I have to admit, I was actually thinking it was a Didierea at first, which I guess is related. I didn't know either's name.

They also had Alluaudiposis, although I'm not sure which species. That was fairly cheap and now knowing that it's somewhat rare, I kind of wish I'd picked it up, although it didn't really strike my fancy as much.

Anyway, are any of these plants toxic, particularly to dogs?

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

$ 20.- for a 6 ft plant would be a very fair price. But for a 6" plant it is by far too much. Cuttings root easily and should cost $ 5.- to maximum 10.-.

Jordi

• amccour
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's what I thought. I almost wondered if it was mismarked or something. Everything else there was in the 5-8 USD range, except for some of the larger plants and a Fouquieria columnaris, which were all around 15 USD. And those were kind of set in their own section. This was just stuck in with the Euphorbias and other non-cacti succulents. I probably should've asked, because it's was a fairly crowded booth and entirely possible that some kid was messing around with the price inserts.

• amccour
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just curious, but I found a site selling A. Comosa for 15 dollars, although I'm not sure how big they are. How much does THAT species cost, and would it be any more difficult than A. Procera?

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

A. comosa is not offered often. If the plant is 8-10" tall and has SEVERAL branches the price seems OK.
    It is as easy to grow as A. procera, but even more frost tender.

Jordi

• amccour
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not sure how big it is, as I said. I might go ahead and get it anyway. I haven't really seen anywhere online carrying alluaudias for less -- if you have any links, I'd appreciate it -- and stores don't seem to carry them in my part of the country.