Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuja1

Super excited

Jeff Ashenfelter
12 years ago

I'll try not to make this sound like a promotion for High Country Gardens. I just got my order in the mail today. Normally the plants are really small. I ordered a hesperaloe parviflora 'brakelights' and it was a really nice size. Granted it was in a gallon pot and cost $25 but it was worth it. The agave parryi looks really cool too. The regular hesperaloe parviflora was real small but it was cheap abou $8 and I'm excited about seeing it grow anyway.

I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Comments (5)

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Looking forward to seeing pix of your new plants, Springpatch! =D

• chrisware
    11 years ago

Good luck with the hesperaloe!

I want to try another one in my cacti garden. Unfortunately, deer ate some of mine and it rotted the first year, but everything else I got from high country has been amazing.
    My Agave parryi was supposed to be non suckering, but it puts out suckers like crazy....... But I'm really glad it does though. Now the other parryi from them has put out none, so I guess they balance each other out.

I also ordered the nolina bear grass from them. It looks really nice growing with the cacti too, and I've never protected it from the wet freezing winters here in the mountains.

Chris

• chadec
    11 years ago

I got my brakelights a few weeks ago and love it! Can't wait to see it in bloom!!!! I also got another neomexicano sunspot agave!

• Jeff Ashenfelter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chris, did your hesperaloe rot from the rain or from the snow and freezes? I put mine right next to the house and even though it is in sand, it doesn't seem to dry out very well in this spot.

What has suprised me is that it receives less than a half a day of sun and I can already tell that it's growing. It doesn't have that whitish look like it needs more sunlight either.

• Jeff Ashenfelter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally got around to taking pictures and I got my hesperaloes planted. I really like the way the brakelights looks with Salvia and Dianthus but I don't think it's going to work in the spot I have it in. The hesperaloe is starting to flower also but the soil doesn't have good drainage at all.

{{gwi:501372}}

{{gwi:501372}}

{{gwi:501374}}

Don't know if it shows from the picture but the leaves on the hesperaloe have a reddish look. I'm not sure if this is normal

{{gwi:501377}}

My little cactus garden I just put in this year. I probably won't leave it there. It's more of an experiment than anything b/c I'm not sure if anything will survive the winter.

{{gwi:501379}}

This is my yucca rostrata that arrived. It's small but alot bigger than the one I got 2 years ago.

{{gwi:501381}}

Very small hesperaloe parviflora. I actually planted this one the way the experts advise.

{{gwi:501383}}

Here's my agave parryi flagstaff form I got in the mail. I like the way it looks but it looks very different from the other agave parryi I have planted in my cactus garden.

{{gwi:501385}}

Barrel cactus

{{gwi:501388}}

The tag said it's a torch cactus. I've had it about 2 years.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia