Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

I can't forget your aloeicious rosette

Yep, they're on the small side, and yep, they're pretty uncolourful now, but nope, that doesn't stop me from getting lost in their magic. These both happen to be from that mountain girl Desert Gardener, another coincidence. Full disclosure - at one time I had 5 different types of A. deltoideodonta. There, I said it - that's the first step, isn't it?

{{gwi:501670}}

And the very pale A. divaricata. Like an Agave, it's got bud print. American aloe, stay away from me....(Canadian content moment there).

{{gwi:501672}}

But just wait 'til summer, when it will look like this (and hopefully have a pup)

{{gwi:501675}}

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 1:13

Comments (16)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And who can forget the Crests of Tomorrow, just down the street from the Bridge of Sighs.

{{gwi:501679}}

with a Tinge of Pink

{{gwi:501682}}

finishing off with a Variegation of Jade 'Hans Loco'

{{gwi:501685}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

I should also get off my keister and get a bench drill press - there are orders not being fulfilled.

{{gwi:501687}}

At least these don't require any care, never mind a pot - I just need to add another thousand or so....then I can have a maintenance-free garden.

{{gwi:501689}}

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Oh my...my heart is beating quiet rapidly looking at Hans Loco. I have to get one like that.

I really do like the sempervivums I have quite a few in my gardens. I wish I had kept the tags on them so that I could identify them. Oh well, future plants...I will be sure to label.

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

'Hanz Loco'... is that a new cultivar?

Man, I wish my Semps did what your Semps do. Those frosty pups make for a gorgeous photo!

Will those leaves from your crest not revert? Have those hairs on your chest got some Pert? Are those pots on your bench caked with dirt? Might those plants in your nook need some fert?

Sorry, brain wouldn't let me stop.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

My eye goes to that ultra-smoooooth Gasteria there. Perfect.

The variegated jade is awesome. When you go to trim that baby, everyone's gonna be showing up at your door.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

so jealous over the succulents

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Go figure huh ! First buy the pot and then discover it needs drainage.

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

I agree with Hanzrobo. Gorgeous photo of the semps! Very nice! They are all beautiful.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

A frustrating enigma that those pots don't already have drainage holes! Same thing happens in my neck of the woods...nice pots with no holes abound, and then there is also red terra cotta...

Nice plants,btw, Jeff.

Tom

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Funny, I thought I did post, wonderful pics and I agree with divaricata, mine still smallish, but I cannot wait for them to flower one day.

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Inspired.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

Nice! I know we have been over this on this forum before many times, but, Jeff - what is your method for this drilling thing?

Thanks.

Tom

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Thinking Jeff might be on a take two Motrins break

Original Author
    11 years ago

LL,

I've got the Semps in the ground mapped, and then I lose some Semps (to close to a building wall for winter - they lost their snow insulation) and then the map. Ah, the plants don't care.

Ryan,

It is a new cultivar, but don't tell anyone. And don't stop 'til you get enough.

Colleen,

When I read your comment, my brain asked me 'What Gasteria?'. Then I looked again - thanks for the eagle-eyed observation.

Wes,

Most of the pots I buy from thrift stores don't have holes, but in 2013 all plants in not-so-pretty pots are getting moved into pretty ones.

Greta and teen,

Thank you.

Tom,

Thanks. As you might guess, it depends on the materials. Looking at the fruits of Ryan's inspiration, you'll see the first thing necessary is the spade (glass / tile) bit. I don't see any evidence of water there (I use it to cool the bit as I'm drilling, which makes the drilling go more easily and saves a bit of wear on the bit). It's really dependent on the material - what I see in Ryan's pic is pretty representative of what I usually find in pots. It helps to scratch an 'X' into the material with a scribe / nail set so the bit doesn't roll. Start out slow and gradually turn up the torque (if your drill has that). Most of the time fired clay will yield to the spade bits, but sometimes you can use masonry bits (terra-cotta especially).

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I am inspired and shall no longer leave beautiful pots without holes behind!

Don`t you just love the pattern of A. divaricata?
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    11 years ago

tally,

Indeed I do - colour and bud print in one plant that stays smallish and is not injurious when brushed against.