Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

"Pocket Garden"

hijole
10 years ago

So I just started a pocket garden full of succulents I had in pots and planted them in the ground, Im really excited to see them take off and grow, I love all the colors of these plants and once they gripe & multiply I'll start more pots.

Loving Spring,

Greg

Comments (21)

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

once they grow I meant on the post above, succulents never gripe, not mine anyway, Lol.. Oh & yes that is my cup of Coffee on the side in the green cup just to keep me going.

Greg

• MamaFlo
    10 years ago

Beautiful! So anxious to get out in the dirt!

• socks
    10 years ago

That looks so nice. I like the different colors and textures, and I think plants in the ground are easier to care for than in pots.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Looks great Greg,love all the colors.Things are starting to perk up around here as well.
    Kathi

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Beautiful Greg- you'll have a whole lot more in no time! Lovin the weather. The colors all look great

Chuy

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

looks Great!!! Love all the color, textures, and shapes!

I'm starting a mixed box. My hybrid Aloes need some friends :-)

So how many hours a day do you spend looking for that coffee cup? I set mine down in the yard and I'm forever trying to find the dang thing again. ROFL!!!!

• tneomi
    9 years ago

Hi Greg
    Why do you call it "pocket garden"?

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jojo, thanks. Yeah the good thing about these plants is their ability to co habitate with other plants, the only thing required is their thirst for water has to be the same, & fast draining soil is always required.
    Lol... My coffee cup? Whenever I need a drink I say to myself WHERE DID I LEAVE THAT CUP??? :) Lol...

Tneomi, Good question, I'm just repeating what others have called similar little garden spaces. I guess it's just a saying in the garden. I've watched a video on YOU TUBE on how to make a pocket garden and I ran with it lol...

Greg

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Wow! Look at the color on that!
    Well green cup is not a good color for in the garden ;-) I have been know to set mine in my mini greenhouse where I keep the cactus and watered down my coffee. LOL!!!

Yes, I'm doing home work and going shopping in about 2 weeks. My aloes, kind of have 3 growing spurts..lol..

It's a raised box, that I will be able to cover come winter, so I'm excited about that..

Although mild here, we do have a hard freeze here and there.

JoJo

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

:-D sooo beautiful! Good thing I'm NOT by where you live or I'd come dig up those beauties and take them home with ME! Lol j/k hahaha - I'm Jealous as alway!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I imagine that a Pocket garden is like a Pocket prairie. A small garden isolated from the rest. In this case a small bed isolated by sidewalk. Maybe a design tableau that is inserted into a larger garden that is different. Hey , I am making this up as aI go. How am I doing on the BS monitor?. It's a garden that fits in your pocket.(world according to WantonaMara needs to be taken in small doses. I do know that a "Pocket Prairie" is a small isolated prairie , I. i.e.. In a suburban lot or urban garden, not a necessarily a naturally occurring one.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Thu, May 15, 14 at 13:54

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

LOL! At least an 8 on the BS monitor wantonamara.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wantanmara, Excellent!! for being off the cuff 0r how about Pocket Comedy! Lol... I like Hummour alot and it seems a little bit more would be helpful on this garden web page sometimes everything feels so TeNsE!! Lol...

This is a pocket garden next to a pocket of cement by some fast draining soil hope you like it ;)

Jojo, I'm giving her a 8.5 because that's the way I feel right now, Not that I might not change my mind latter on today and bump it up to 9.5 for originality ;)
    Keep it up Wantanmara.
    Is it Hot outside today or what? My phone say's it's 100 degrees right now :/

Greg

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I needed the laugh today too! :-) Yes, I think a higher score is in order. ;-) patio says 98 here , I haven't looked at my phone yet.

JoJo

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I think STIFF is a better word than TENSE.

I get to be humorous because I don't take what I know too seriously. You know. "Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly" scenario.

I think we (royal we) get wrapped up in being right or frightened that we might be wrong with our tidbits of knowledge. My feelings is that knowledge comes to us in all forms from all directions. We get hard fact to nefarious interpretations. We get remembered verbal exchanges and , folk myths, and intuitive feelings all coming under the knowledge moniker. I find that the accruing and disposal of info and "Ms. info"(that fox) is like the tides going in and out. If I am wrong, it won't be the first time or the last,and I am sure someone around here will correct me. Hopefully they will be nice.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wantanmara, Stiff is the word I'll go with too then, OMG... No debating on this web site it seems, But on a brighter note I just bumped up your riddle to a 10 and that's my finall answer :) Lol...

Humor is good and I'm sure seriousness is called for but in the garden PLEASE! Let's just relax and be kind to one another.

For the most part things are pretty cherrie here and a lot of good help comes accross very often so I hang around the garden web.

Back to the topic: POCKET GARDEN, Just a small area with a variety of nice cacti & succulent plants that just seem to have suddenly appeared out of No Where, Like Hey look what I found.

Greg

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

amazing colors!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Greg is good with color and that californian sun he has is in cahoots with him too..My fire sticks is still recovering from my sh*tty winter treatment.It will never look as good as his.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Chica, I read alot of books 0r rather I look at alot of pictures in the books that give me ideas :)

Thanks wantanmara, the funny thing when I first got my firestick cutting plant I heard that they turn colors starting in winter so I got so excited I was tempted for a second to put mine in the Fridge. Right now mine are full of color so So much for the cold theory because it's in the 100's today.

Greg

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

My kind of reading Greg! Maybe you can make some recommendations?

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

We have' t reached. 100 yet.But by 9_10 0o'clock,it's s already 96,and with these fires all around us,the smoke,and ash and all that,it feels like 115.I don't even go out in the yard until after dinner.I can't stand the heat!!!
    Kathi

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm