Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

"Anything That Holds Dirt"

hijole
10 years ago

So I recently read, that anything that holds dirt can be a succulent container, Ok so now I'm convinced, totally! I took this styrofoam container that once held a glass vase, I painted it punched a few holes easily with a pencil for drainage then filled with dirt & sat these freshly cut succulents in my new container garden, the rocks are for support until the roots steady the plant thats standing.

So what do you think?

Greg

Comments (27)

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Black or White ?

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Greg,
    If I understand correctly (what you're asking... I think it's too early for me), I like the white background more.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 8:47

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Nice assemblage!
    'Gollum' Jade, 'Campfire' Jade, and Sedum nussbaumerianum?

Josh

• succulentlife
    10 years ago

Nice!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Cool! Plants look great, love your little homemade container :o)

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks puglvr1, I'm just having a blast with all the new cuttings I'm creating and running out of pots to put them in, I finally got this fantastic idea & thought umm.. Let's try this out.

Nik23 Thanks, I'm just so thrilled and I can't take it anymore :)

greenman Josh, thanks for the I.D'ing you know I really had no idea what I had in dat dare pot.

planto, You got it, you got it!.. It might of been too early for something so Bright! but you got it. I actually liked the white back ground better myself.

Greg

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Greg,
    Okay, good lol. Finding nifty containers to turn into plant pots is fun in and of itself. Sometimes they make the best ones. :)

Planto

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

The shade of green is not my cup of tea, but I give you points for creativity...I like the black background better, personally.

Christopher

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Planto, Yes very enjoyable indeed thanks. Sometimes you just need a place to stick some plants.

greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris, I meant to say thanks for the comment, I know that green is pretty WILD lol.. but hey that was the paint I had laying around that day. :)

Greg

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

You used a cell phone: Slow down and try to shoot off on an angle VS. point and shoot. The black background shows light sound known as harmonics.
    For cell phone photos.

Multi colored or broken back drops are always better becuase they easily distract the eye from seeing light harmonics.

Plus in your first photo light harmonics also had to go furthure into the crakling finish before returning to the lens Vs. light speed fast bouncing back off of completly full to saturation colored ( all black) back drop.
    By laws PIC ONE has to be the better

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nomen_nudum, WOW! Thanks! I think, Lol... I don't know everything you just mentioned but it sounds awesome. thanks for commenting, it was just a little project I stumbled on for the day.

Can you give me the laymens version please :)

Greg

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Greg,
    They said they liked it. Cool man. Also you could put some texture with a little fire. Use an empty one with no plants in it. Fire=burns Bad. I liked the paint. Also befor the paint drys, sprinkle with sand. Just some ideas.
    Stush

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

Your welcome, laymens terms for better photo's:
    Easy, slow and progressive. In sapre time practice can always delete the 99 shots that don't look better than the 100th shot.

Focusing at an angle forces harmoics to travel a greater distance and can miss the lens at that critical moment.

Would have used your " anything that holds dirt" idea (styro pots as temperary make shifts) I tend to keep an empty pot or two on hand. Styro pots are a creative & very good idea. I rated it as number two spot but only because styro cups turnt pots are known to be used for violets.
    The number one creative idea: IMO was an onion bag cut to size for use as a bottom screen.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Your idea is awesome for those with weight issues in particular! Excellent job making it look more presentable, unlike the aluminum roasting pan shown below. Its' a fine temporary home for baby plants. Cost = .68â. I also love when an old shoe or boot is used. Thought I was saving some $ buying some really inexpensive cookware last year (NOT!) but these crappy pans are already rusted, so those will be 'flower pots' soon. I think they might look cool sitting on an old grill. As long as a hole can be added, I like to make use of the available, free, & unconventional too.

Thanks for the inspiration, personally very helpful! My goal this year is to calm down on adding plants and make/assemble (but not buy) more attractive pots for the ones I already have. Well, at least more interesting, attractive will still be up to the eyes of the beholders.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nomen nudum, Got it! & thanks. I'll have to try that, did I ever mention I was an amatuter at this a novice at best :) I just enjoy throwing pictures up on the site, and right now its now allowing me too so Im excersising patience as I write this, thanks for the tips tho I will get it straight soon I hope. Hope your enjoying the day.

Purpleinopp, Im with you on that, I have plants everywhere.. Shoes, pans, coffee cans, and umm.. Even empty Tuna cans yup I said it, tuna cans, Ill send some pics as soon as the site allows me.
    Im with u tho, some times I say, its temporary :/ Lol..

Hooked on Succulents,

Greg

10 years ago

The site allows? The 'rule' is 1 pic per post using the in-house upload. If your pics are at a 3rd party hosting site, you're only limited to how many you have the patience and time to paste.

Uhoh, you know, it's *always* temporary. Technically, what I meant was that the same plants won't go back in that nursery pan when it's repotting time, unlike a lot of plants that will have a soil change and will go back in their same pots. And um, yeah, I'll probably use the roasting pan for a new crop of cuttings and leaf-babies, so calling it temporary is really a stretch. If you can competently tend something as small as a tuna can, you have more patience than I do. Cheers to that!

This wire mesh thing was put together in Oct, so should be good to go for a while, not as temporary. Need some creeping Sedums or similar to go on the sides. The winter wait seems like forever this year, stuck in time, more like when I used to live in OH than here in almost-Florida!

10 years ago

Used to be a light, now a planter. Two of 5 panes of glass removed so air can go through, get plants in, water. Needs a permanent spot big enough for the base, was a test run.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purpleinopp, So thats why I cant add anymore pics Im MAXED out! Sheeesch!!! I thought it was my end, meaning my phone more than anything. Well then, I might have to start another post then, theirs more than one way to show a new idea, So stay tuned for another post named, ahh.. "Wherever theres room for dirt."

By the way I like your ideas too the lamp & that basket thinging keep up the good work.

Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I'm with purple as well.If it holds dirt and I can put holes in it,then it becomes a planter.I just picked up 2 plastic containers at the dollar tree,because I like their shape,they will become planters as soon as I get out my trusty wood burning tool and put holes in them.

I also have old enamel ware basins,pots etc with plants.I never cared for that very structeredperfectly manicured look in the garden.So not me!!!
    Kathi

10 years ago

I'm sorry, I didn't convey well above - each time you reply, you can add a pic. TY, Greg!

- Tiffany

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tiffany, Thanks I really appreciate that tip, I was wondering what is going on here? Lol..

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried it and it doesnt access the "CHOOSE FILE" tab, nothing happens even after I sent a reply, any more ideas?

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried it and it doesnt access the "CHOOSE FILE" tab, nothing happens even after I sent a reply, any more ideas?

Greg

10 years ago

Do you mean that you can see the "choose file" button on the page (now located between "Zone or State" and "Title of post" but can't click it? Or nothing happens when you do click it?

If you want to send me a private message, you're welcome to. I don't know that I can help, but will try! Type your email address in it so I can reply if you do, to make sure. The settings are confusing on here and most GW private messages I get can't be responded to, even though people thought they had it set to allow that.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tiffany, I liked your pictures on your page, you have a nice looking garden going on there which reflects your passion for plants, I think I'm just as addicted myself lol... But hey! it's a good addiction right! That's wehat I keep telling myself anyway. (it is right?)

Greg

10 years ago

Greg, TY! And I completely agree.

Scrap wood planter. I'm thrilled with how many plants survived winter!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!