Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are there any succulents that thrive in full shade?

Posted by bellpepperguy CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 1:26

I am sure the answer is no but I ask. Are there any succulents that thrive in full shade? I mean FULL shade, the location of the planter box only receives reflected light. I am guessing I'll have to find some ferns or something but if any succulents are options I prefer them!

If any of you are aware of any I'd appreciate it if you could list the names here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are there any succulents that thrive in full shade?

I should probably add that there is a good amount of light on each side of the box in the morning/evening so it's not in complete darkness the whole day. The box is sitting on a north facing wall, but it does not get direct sunlight.

o

I grow Agave bracetosa , nolina lindheimeri, aloe saponaria , aloe grandientata, manfreda, some dykias in the shade. Graptopetalum parguayense takes a good bit of shade in Texas. I also grow my echeveria with a good bit of shade. The shade is fairly bright under oak trees and we have a good deal of heat. I do not know if this is as shady as you are talking about.

o

Sedum kimnachii grows well for me on the north side.

o

Sansevieria would do wonderfully in those conditions, as would many shrubby Kalanchoes.

o

thanks folks

o

Those are all great suggestions. I'd like to add one.
I keep the majority of my Haworthias in full shade. They're outside in bright, indirect light and the only direct sun they get is what shines through the fence gaps. I built a shelf above them that blocks the summer sun. They love it.

o

Well here goes, I've found that "my" cacti & succulents that get mostly shade and bright light but no direct sun light do fine, they seem to take on different shades of green colors , they're shapes also vary and just like all these plants that take on looks of there own look interesting and unique.

If you still want light, set up some mirrors to deflect the sun, then whatever happens next is sure to be totally unique, but I think you'll like the shade results, maybe.

Greg

o

I have an agave attenuata in full shade, it never gets sun - although it is a bright spot, just no direct sun at any time of the year. It is doing wonderful and it is huge and really healthy and green. I water it about once every 3 weeks.

o

I think Cyanotis somaliensis does pretty well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here