March blooms

Show time - what have you blooming?

For me, only this little NOID is blooming:

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 1:46

Comments (56)

• paul_
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Orchids and african violets are the main bloomers for me right now.

On the cacti/succ front, both my Huernia have been blooming off and on throughout the winter. Last I looked, everyone else is pretty much in a holding pattern -- pretty normal under my winter conditions for me.

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

Beautiful plant, Rina, captured just right!

What a looker that Pleios, Rian! Your F. edulis bloom is neat! Hope your fever is gone & you're feeling much better!

Rina, Is was wrong in past threads to call them carpels...what I meant was calyx...which are so unusual on your Echeveria. Can't wait to see the blooms!

I still have many buds, inflorescences getting taller, though. And it's raining today, so not likely to be snapping pix.

• reggie
    11 years ago

Here are a few additions. Don't know what the second one is. ???

This I shot at the end of Feb. but is still going strong.
    {{gwi:502320}}

{{gwi:502323}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosemarie
    Thank you, I'll post photo when it finally opens.
    Do you know what E. is the blooming one in the first photo? Here is close-up of the rosette:
    BTW, how is Cisco doing?

Rian
    F. edulis reminds me of corkscrew hazel flowers - just a little bit...I like...

Reg
    I am not sure, but I see 2 different plants there; one with rounded leaves looks to me like Fenestraria aurantiaca (baby toes), yellow-flowering one has more pointed leaves - I am not sure (there is 3rd plant there too?-spotted flat leaves).
    I like your 'planter - is that lava rock?'
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 21:01

• reggie
    11 years ago

Rina....yes, it is a chunk of lava rock with very shallow holes in it. I have shoved all sorts of plants in it. Looks like I have an adromischus possibly in the far left of the picture, baby toes (like you said), and then the flowering one?? The flowering one has fleshy longish leaves with purplish coloration at the base of the leaves. Not sure what it is but I like it and wish I had more. I tried pollinating the flowers to see if perhaps it will take to self-pollination. We'll see. :-)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Far left is Adromischus thinking A.trigynus... Nice lava potting set up .

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Could it be Mesemb, maybe ice plant? (Carpobrotus edulis) - I don't know anything about these plants & could be totally off...
    Hopefully Beechplants, rosemarie, hanzrobo or anyone else familiar with these will come to help.

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Nice pic Reggie...not sure about the mesemb myself, I would think maybe Cephalophyllum sp, some of the leaf structure fits nicely to Sarcozona sp. but the flower do not, so I will stick with Cephalophyllum for now. Possibly Cheiridopsis derenbergiana also.

This post was edited by Beachplants on Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 14:38

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Carpobrotus edulis a good ground cover in the meseb. genus same as ice plant. Differance is C.Edulis is not very frost hardy, an ice plant is.
    The soil mix you have now is ideal for it to grow but it's roots have and need ground cover space/ abilities and are going to be interrupted in the pumice pot.
    Even though the lay out and substrate are good it's not a good companion plant with your Adromichus.
    I'm unfamiliar with 'Baby Toes' not sure if it's a companion for the Adro but does look like it's at home.

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

The only two I have blooming now are Euphorbia milii...

Here is one...

Christopher

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Much smaller cyathia on this one...

Christopher

• reggie
    11 years ago

Christopher - OOOeee! Lovely colors on that bloom. Yummy.

Thanks all for the guesses on the yellow flowering plant. It seems to be one of the plants that has done well in this "pot." It's been in there for over a year. Perhaps I'll take a shot of the whole thing sometime and show you all my experiment. :-)

The sun is out today..storm just passed through. I'll see if there is anything else blooming out there in the SOS jungle of mine.

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

OooEee, Reggie, nice planters & bloomers!! Adding to what others have said, I think your yellow bloomer may be Cephalophyllum diversifolium. Like that you're using my acronym, too...SOS...ha ha! Like in my jungle, for sure!!

Rina, realized I only have to transpose a couple letters to make your name, Rian's...which can get really confusing! LOL Thanks for the additional pic of your Echeveria. Can't say for certain, but it looks like E. elegans. BUT...they have grouped 3 together with previously different species names. More confusion. I'd take up Jeff's offer to ask Margrit B. for an ID on it. She's good!

Oh! Thanks for asking about Cisco...our colt is having LOADS of fun discovering EVERYthing! Now rain...he's having a blast with a simple puddle! Fun to watch! A week old in these pix (he's now over 2 wks old).

{{gwi:502329}} {{gwi:502331}} {{gwi:502333}}

{{gwi:502335}} {{gwi:502336}} {{gwi:502337}}

I thought it was included at bottom--but not--Christopher...lovely shades on your millii blooms!

I went out between the rain to take pix of my buds & bloomers JUST for this post...but I haven't processed them yet. :P I'll be back!

This post was edited by rosemariero on Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 15:19

• alkh86
    11 years ago

One little yellow flower so far

• reggie
    11 years ago

Found a few more blooms today.

Dorstenia crispa - hard to photograph as the bloom is hard to reach but you get the idea.

{{gwi:502341}}

Crassula susannae - dinky flowers but a bunch of them right now.
    {{gwi:502343}}

Kalanchoe daigremontiana - I think.

{{gwi:502344}}

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

Nice one, alkh86! Is it an Echeveria pulidonis hybrid?

Okay, folks...walking around my yard between rain spritzes...snapped what was blooming or getting ready. Not that any of these are real exciting...to get a "wow" out of you...but it's the little stuff that gives me pleasure to see. Buds reminding me that blooms are on their way (some 1st-timers), little bits of color here & there. Please excuse grass & weeds growing everywhere. I've given up trying to keep up with 'em!

Click pix for larger views:
    {{gwi:502345}} {{gwi:502346}} {{gwi:502347}}

{{gwi:502348}} {{gwi:502349}} {{gwi:502351}}

{{gwi:502352}} {{gwi:502354}} {{gwi:502355}}

{{gwi:502356}} {{gwi:502357}} {{gwi:502358}}

{{gwi:502359}} {{gwi:502360}} {{gwi:502361}}

{{gwi:502363}} {{gwi:502365}} {{gwi:502366}}

{{gwi:502368}} {{gwi:502370}} {{gwi:502373}}

{{gwi:502377}} {{gwi:502379}} {{gwi:502381}}

{{gwi:502382}} {{gwi:502383}} {{gwi:502384}}

{{gwi:502385}} {{gwi:502387}}

{{gwi:502388}} {{gwi:502389}}

{{gwi:502390}} {{gwi:502391}}

{{gwi:502392}} {{gwi:502394}}

{{gwi:502395}} {{gwi:502396}}

This post was edited by rosemariero on Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 19:14

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

Oops, Reggie, you were posting while I was trying to fix my glitch! (I'm pretty sure all thumbnails are now clickable.)

Well, you have one of those "aliens" too! LOL Nice bloomers! I like those dinky C. susannae flowers. I have a hybrid (I think 'Dorothy') in the pix, just with buds. Your clump has grown nicely! The bells of the Kalanchoe are lovely! =)

• reggie
    11 years ago

Wooooeee. You kept me busy RoRo. Nice ones. So many. Ya, I have a few of those aliens. Love 'em.

Mine are nothing too fancy but hey, they are blooming. :-)

{{gwi:502397}}

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

That is a group and a half Rosemarie, lovely.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Ah, RoRo, you've got a little Dyckia blooming! Lucky! I thought for sure this past year I'd get one or two D.s to bloom. I certainly have a very mature D. 'Cherry Coke,' and even that hasn't bloomed yet for me. Hrmm. Something to look up to. When mine finally bloom, I'll take seeds and begin a venture.

This post was edited by teatree on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 15:09

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Nice! Ro, my Haworthia emelyaes are both blooming but neither of them have clumped like yours.

Reggie, your mesemb with the yellow flowers is a Mitrophyllum, I believe. Here's a photo of my Mitrophyllum clivorum which is in bloom this very minute.

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

OooEeee, 3 bloomers together, Reggie! NICE! And thanks!! =)

Thanks, Rian! Nothing spectacular, but lots of 'em...or almost blooming! I probably should not have posted so many at once...but ya havta watch out when I get on a roll! LOL

Colleen, yes...1st time! This Dyckia is the mother to your pups. She split like a twin, then decided to give birth...to an inflorescence! All the other pups I pulled off her were trampled by pup, Bailey Boo. :O The pokeys did NOT stop her! Yes, a new adventure when you get seed from yours!

Thank you, Ryan! I am lucky to have ANY clumps these days, considering the dogs' antics! :( And I thought the skunks & opossums were bad!

While the Mitrophyllum clivorum seems very similar, they don't look like they have as long a stem on their blooms as on Reggie's plant. Do you know if they do? Beautiful plant you have there, Ryan!

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Thanks Ro. I'm not sure if Reggie's plant is M. clivorum but it does remind me of a Mitrophyllum. The leaves are very soft and the flower stalks do tend to shoot up to a good height. My plant is around 15 years old and grows in almost full sun in the greenhouse.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

few shots from the Huntington this week

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe alooides

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Cleistocactus strausii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Deutercohnia brevifolia

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Echeveria pulvinata 'Lime Fuzzy'

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Yucca faxoniana

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Senecio barbertonicus

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe martothii flowers and bird eating nectar or insects (can't tell which)

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe excelsas (two different colors)

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe ortholopha hybrid

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Euphorbia polygona

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Kalanchoe mortagei

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Stenocactus lamellosus

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe speciosa

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Thelocactus rinconensis

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Huntington flower scene (with Aloe petricolas and Aeonium hybrids) among others

• reggie
    11 years ago

Look what I found on my porch as I was taking the dog out for a walk. I love orange blooms! Yes, it's in that same lava rock chunk. :-)

{{gwi:502406}}

• maark23 TX/8a
    11 years ago

My little turbinicarpus valdezianus. I have it's brother with buds also.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Getting there - E. shaviana is taking long time.
    Rina

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

If it is anything like its hybrid that I think is part Shaviana, That bloom will last and bloom for a long long tim, just uncurling and uncurling. I just bought a E shaviana. It is sitting around getting its dirt washed off and calloused before re-planted. It has a bloom bud on it.

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Great shots y'all! I just wanted to add a few more.

Titanopsis luederitzii

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Sceletium sp.

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Some night bloomers! These have such a sweet perfume!

Stomatium agninum

• reggie
    11 years ago

@hanzrobo Nice plants! Thanks for adding those shots. That Stomatium is cool. :-) Oh heck, they are all cool. Are they all grown from seed?

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Wow! Beautiful blooms! I was anticipating my split rock blooming. I went away for the weekend and came back on Sunday to realize that it bloomed on Saturday and I missed it. :(

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Have patience. It might open again. My P neli and faucaria will open and close more than once. Maybe three times. Usually with more than a days rest in between blooming events. Keep an eye on it.

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Here's hoping!