Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Help - pups everywhere

This Aloe grandidentata (possible ID) is pupping like crazy - there is 5 in the small pot right now.
Is it time to separate them?
There is also 'something' thread-like growing in the centre; hardly visible yet, but is it possibly a flower?
Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 2:09

Comments (16)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aloe variegata (Pheasant breast) has 4 pups too (one is very tiny, hiding behind the stone).
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 2:15

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

Congrats! :)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Rina,

Wait until April at least before you do the separation. It would be a better time for them to grow on their own when ambient temps and light levels are higher.

Great job - they're happy plants.

• wweidele
    11 years ago

Nice lucky you

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Aloe grandidentata pup like crazy , especially when in a small pot. They pup non stop. I can not get my A variegata to pup EVER.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all; I think separation of grandidentata is necessary,they are squeezed there like sardines (will wait 'till end of April or May, Jeff).
    Will see how fast variegata grows....Mara, these pups appeared after it flowered this January; I got it last June).

Rina

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Very nice! I wish I could give good advice on Aloe variegata but I've killed about 4 of them, pups too:( I'm on my 5th, a big one that had a few pups when I bought it. Trying something new this time... more light! I would let those pups get to a good size before separating them but that's probably because I've had such poor luck.

Now, that A. grandidenta, if that's the same plant that grows on the hills around here, grows like a weed! There's a hillside by city hall that's completely covered with it. I grabbed a few pups from there and they've blown up and gone crazy! I would take Jeff's advice on waiting for it to warm up first, though... sounds logical. I wouldn't know.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

My variegatas are much larger than yours and one even has 7 bloom stalks and the other has 5 inflorescens right now. They bloom every year but never pup.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I find A . variegatas most sensitive to moistures just after they bloom. I have killed one totally then and the next one lost all its roots to rot at that time but I was alerted to it and dragged it out of the soil to dry it out and cut off the rot and then was able to successfully rescue it. It has 7 bloom stalks on it now. If I get a rain event at this time of year, I pull it under the roof. It is also in a much grittier soil.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ryan

I'll leave variegatas in the same pot, I would like to see more of them together & it seems to grow slower.
    It must be so different when you can grow succulents outside (in ground).
    Sometimes I think I am overreacting when my 'puny' (comparing to plants you can grow outside year round) sux in pot flowers or have pups...and they are so etoliated, and pale too.
    Have just few months to keep them outside in proper sun/light.
    I would love to see more than one bloom stalk at the time, Mara.

Rina

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Thanks Mara, that's a good tip about it wanting to be dry after it flowers, especially since mine is blooming like crazy too. Also, that sounds likely since I never move anything when it rains... it either lives in the greenhouse or it doesn't.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Our spring rains can be mammoth and I just move it so it is under the eave for awhile. I also cut back on the watering schedule a bit during that time.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

they do pup like crazy don`t they? I pull out the pups when they start crowding. Though I do have a couple of different aloes that I wait until they are climbing out of the pot to seperate, simply because there are so many of them that I have no idea what to do with them.

Mara, I know what you mean about the monsoon rains! I wish we had some right about now.

Aloes, kalanchoes and agaves are all starting to bloom.
    Yeah!
    Tally HO!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Well, we do not have the rain that you have on the coast, but man when we get it , watch out. I miss the good gully washers. It has been a long time. My A. grandidentatas are blooming nicely. I wonder if the confining the A. grandidentata make them pup more or if the reduced light of indoors growing triggers some aloes to pup more.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mara

I have them under lights over winter (still not same as natural light I think), and it is in smallish pot - so maybe?
    Rina

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have to keep most of my aloes on pots. A. grandidentata and a four other types are in the ground.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths