Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone tell me if this is root rot or under watering?

Posted by cyneo none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 4:17

Hi I am very new to succulents but i really love them so when this fella started to look weird I decided to dig up the decorative rocks that came with it and i saw this. I tried to touch the soil, but it is hard and needed some digging to get past the surface.

I have not done anything much to it since i got it last week. i tried pressing the leaves, and most of them were hard like they are supposed to be(?) and one or two of them felt like dried sponge. I think this is underwatering? but i am not sure.

I killed 2 plants from over over watering already so I am very hesitant to add more water to the plant.

Do advise!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone tell me if this is root rot or under watering?

I gave in ti my panic instinct and watered it. After wetting the soil, i used a tooth pick to loosen the soil. From the looks of it, the soil is moist and there is no 'leftover' water. I hope i didn't damage the roots too much and that i didn't water too much that i risk root rot =(

o

• Posted by Deva33 5... southeast Iowa (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 13:06

I can't tell from the pic if it is root rot or not. The soil looks very dry, so I would have watered it too. Is it still in the soil you purchased it in? If so I would recommend repotting it in fresh soil. You can find treads on here for soil combinations. Hope that helps!

o

Looks at a glance like rot coming up at the bottom. Is it soft & or mushy? That would be rot for sure & would need to be cut off completely.

Sorry, but that looks like rot at the base of that plant, will only spread over time.

Pls. be sure the pot has a drainage hole -- if not there will be future problems as well.

o

PG,
I didn't see that darkness at the base of the OP's plants. Let's hope it's just the lighting and not rot. :/

Planto

o

Unfortunately it isn't the lighting... But the dark area doesn't seem to be growing over the last 3 days. Is it recommended that I treat it as rot and try to slice it off and replant?

Photo is the picture of it after pulling it out of the soil. The dark parts are hard. Some of the 'petals' which were spongy 3 days ago are now hard. Not sure if that is due to uptake of water.

This post was edited by cyneo on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 10:22

o

Also if i need to repot, is the soil in the background ok? I just dug it our from storage somewhere and i think it used to be fish tank sand...

o

Looks like it sat in moist soil for too long as got stained- do leaves freely tug away from the plant? If so then that's a surefire sign of aloe root rot. I've had some do this just from humidity so be careful with that water useage. Don't water it unless it looks floopy or starts to get yellow. I would also not recommend anything that came from a fish tank. Too salty. Use a well draining mix with little organics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here