Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about combining succulents in 1 pot

Posted by ssmdgardener 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 8:53

I recently put together a collection of succulents in one pot, then read that certain succulents shouldn't be placed together due to differing needs for light and water.

Please take a look and let me know if something needs to be replaced. Also, I don't have the names of all of the plants.

Top row: baby's toes, elephant bush, unknown (echeveria?)
Bottom row: sedum ogon, unknown.

I'm going to try to attach an image now...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about combining succulents in 1 pot

S/S Gardner , good morning, well first off it looks very nice , I think the big thing is all about not mixing plants together that require more water than the others, you can see the problem there.
I don't have any baby toes but the others you have in your pot look very compatible and will do just fine.

G.

o

Nice looking pot of plants! I don't know anything about the compatibility of their needs, but the nice thing about a pot is that you can remove any plant that does not do well and replace it.

o

Looks real good. I mix and match all the time. Good find at the sale. I may have to stop at them more! Have a great day all PaulaPhotobucket

o

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I'm a recent convert to succulents and can't get enough.

:-)

o

You may want to seperate the Baby's Toes. Not an easy plant. Need lots of sun, dry most of the time. Grows very thin inside.

Don't think Sedum do very well inside. Instead of a thick short groundcover, it might be sparse and leggy.

o

noki, thank you for that info.

At what min/max temperature should I start taking the Baby's Toes outside?

I know sedum ogon actually like part shade in my zone, so I thought it could handle being indoors part of the time. Is there another succulent that would grow short and wide?

o

I have some pachiverias in with haworthias that I need to resolve.

o

You might try this sedum. You can keep it pretty small so it stays nice in that container.

Sedum makinio ogon
Photobucket

Penny

o

Nice plants,and i love your little piggies,looks like you also have an embroidery/sewing machine as well.
Your dog is a beauty!!TFS
Kathi

o

I think your Sedum needs cold to do well - the others are not cold-hardy, so there's some separation there. As the others have noted, your Fenestraria is tempermental, and the Portulacaria can be, too, when it's small. The remainder are quite suitable for a joint pot.

o

Pennyhal, that actually is the sedum ogon that I have in that pot. I dug it out of the garden, so it's still recovering from the winter cold. And what is that pinkish plant next to your sedum? It's gorgeous!

Cactusmcharris, the sedum's been rated as high as zone 11. Do you think it would still need the cold?

o

I didn't know that - it looked to me like it was one of the cold-hardy (and therefore cold-needing) Sedums, but what I don't know about cold-hardy/non-cold hardy Sedums would take volumes.

o

ssmdgardener, I didn't recognize your plant as ogon! Good choice! I hadn't seen that reddish color in mine yet.

Kathi, I had forgotten about what was in that link! Little Gummybear is a corgi and has a High In Trial in sheep herding. Yes, my sewing machine makes the piggies that will be the bib part of aprons.

o

Personally, I was never a fan of multiple species, or even multiple plant in one pot. If you overwater the one pot, could lose them all, whereas if they were in individual pots, you have only lost one. Also, each has different growing requirements. I know some have had success combining plants, but I prefer each one in its own pot.

Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here