Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Adenium obesum

For those of you who haven't seen this plant go to seed, thought I'd share. Not sure why this pod is so premature as compared to the others but the seed are small and the whiskers at the ends of the seed allow the wind to scatter them. When you plant seed, the whiskers are removed. As you can see, I will, once again, have a ton of seed, so anyone who wants to try their hand at growing this interesting plant, email me.

Comments (16)

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

Add me to the list! :) I will send you an email later today.
    Thanks!! The seed pods look a lot like Ceropegia woodii and Hoya seed pods!
    Grantgarden2

• lme5573
    10 years ago

Sent you an email, Howard. Thank you for your generosity. I have wanted to give adeniums a try.

Lennie in SW Michigan

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Sent an email ;). What does the whole plant look like and what do the blooms look like?? Thank you so much for being so kind in offering seeds.

Chuy

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Chuy...this is my Adenium, it has pink blooms. Blooms do vary depending on the variety...so many different ones are out there now.

This was taken April 2013

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Puglvr- wow!!!!! Amazing size!! What beauty you have!! Can't wait for mine to get half the size!! I'm in south OC, Ca- do you you a fertilizer to help with growth?? Thanks

Chuy

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thank you Chuy! Yes, I fertilize about once a week or 10 days with 1/2 strength of fertilizer during growth periods usually for me it starts the end of Feb. through the end of Oct. I let it rest during the winter months.

• don37137
    10 years ago

Hi Howard,

Just sent you an e-mail requesting a seed(s). Been wanting to try growing these plants and have been reading up on them. Thanks so much for your generosity. Looking forward to your future postings. Do you post on any forums other than Cacti and Succulents? I am also very much interested in a wide variety of succulents grown indoors.

My name is Don and I live in northwest corner of PA - still having winter here.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I'd love to have some of your desert rose seeds. I grew them years ago in Vero Beach from seeds. They were so much fun to watch them grow. They had such character even when they were little babies. Thanks for sharing.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Puglvr,

Your desert rose was one of the first pictures I saw on Garden Web. This was before I even joined. I loved its look so much I remember showing my mom and husband. It was just breath taking especially in full bloom! How old is your plant? Thanks for sharing! I never get tired of looking at it!! :o).

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Puglvr- can you tell me what fertilizer you use and/or recommend? Thank you :)

Chuy

• paul_
    10 years ago

You are a cruel, cruel woman, Nancy! Teasing us all with that plant!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an update of what you might expect living in a cold neck of the woods. These are seedlings started March 2013. The three in the back are from seeds I received from Sharon and the front two are from my plant. Sharon had sent me lots of seeds. I lost several to dampening off. It is very hard to germinate these without temps in the 80's and even using a warming pad, really doesn't do it. I'm hoping for greater success from the current batch of seed. I have learned to use only non-organic material to germinate these.

• lme5573
    10 years ago

Thanks for the picture, Howard, they look great to me. How long do you keep the seedlings in non-organic mix? Is orchid bark considered non-organic?
    Thanks,
    Lennie in MI

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Great job with those seeds Howard! They are looking good! I've never been able to grow from seed, I just don't have the knack and know how I guess...

Thanks Teisa, I purchased that plant in fall of 2004 maybe 2005 I think? I purchased it from from HD in a small pot...I can't believe I've had it for 9 years!

Chuy, I've used many different fertilizers in the years I've had it...Miracle Grow, Dyna Gro 9-3-6, I've used slow release (added to the potting mix) when I repot it and I've also used Fish emulsion...one kind at a time of course,lol...

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lennie, orchid bark or CHC are definitely organic. I mix some CHC in mix mix for the older plants along with some coir.

• paul_
    10 years ago

Very nice, Howard! One of these days, I will have to give an Adenium a try again.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?