Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

In a Mellow Tone

Aeoniums - not only are they a genus that name of which contains all vowels, not only is the genus name seven letters long (bingo word!), but it's a plant that looks lovely in the winter here, and this particular A. arboreum v. atropurpureum hybrid (?) has been sitting in its shallow pot very prettily these last few weeks, waiting for me to take note of its understated glamour.

{{gwi:504207}}

Comments (27)

• landruc
    12 years ago

Very, very nice!

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

In a mellow tone
    That's the way to live
    If you mope and groan
    Something's gotta give

Just go your way
    And laugh and play
    There's joy unknown
    In a mellow tone

What a beautiful sound it makes! i always thought there ought to be a musical instrument named Aeonium. I guess there is ;-)

• hijole
    12 years ago

Luscious Looking leafs, amazing how such a delicate looking leaf Can tolerate such cold temps. And even thrive in them.

Nice looking Aloe standing by his side as mellow as can be.
    G.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh! Those leaves look more like petals than leaves.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

That is a MOST BEAUTIFUL Aeonium, captured PERFECTLY, Jeff! Hats off to ya!! =)

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Jeff, it's stunning.

• katluvr
    12 years ago

Jeff, the plant does not even look real it is so perfect! you have the touch!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ladies and Gents,

In a mellow tone
    Feeling fancy free
    And I'm not alone
    I've got company

Everything's ok
    The live long day
    With this mellow song
    I can't go wrong

And thank you. Greg, that plant's been inside the house all winter - it's not cold-hardy (no Aeonium is).

• hijole
    12 years ago

Wait a minute , I've always heard Aeoniums
    were winter growers, did something change this year?

Just wondering,

Greg

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    12 years ago

paracelsus...how about the "Aeolian harp"? Just a few letters off, but almost the same pronunciation...almost.

Try: Youtube...Chopin etude no. 1- Op. 25, for a "mellow mood".

Frank

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

very nice...if it would only take Texas heat.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Greg,

No, that's still correct. It's in growth now (see the green?).

• hijole
    12 years ago

Cactusmcharris, Ok, I think I got it they are winter growers but do not necessarily like the Cold, cold weather, they just grow durring the winter months, right?

Ok , If thats correct I learned something today and for that I say thank you. I was thinking, Winter grower meant it loved the cold weather.

I love this forum, I really do, and I appreciate everyone's help here also, I've learned alot and continue to everyday. Thanks to All.

Greg

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

Greg, almost no 'winter growing' succulents grow when conditions are below freezing as it is most of the time in winter way up north in the frozen wastelands where Jeff lives. They grow mostly in the fall and spring, but not in the 'dead' of winter. Most succulents can not survive sustained temperatures even a few degrees below freezing. Aeoniums in particular come from the Canary Islands where it almost never freezes. It is better to refer to 'winter growing' plants as summer dormant. That term is much less confusing.

Brad

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Brad point well taken , here I must grow them in the
    Winter months, and put them under my benches in the summer, it has pretty warm here, so the are bolting into flower. Unfortunately they are my variegted var.
    I only wish my hair was as wavy as those leaves, and they are splended. The picture is picture perfect, and thank you Jeff and Brad, Norma

• hijole
    12 years ago

Brad , thank you for the break down, yeah I was thinking winter growers meant cold temps.

Not to the extent of freezing, but just southern California cold. Lol...

I appreciate your input, both yours and Jeff explanation was and eye opener, of course if I lived where it freezes over I might have learned quicker for sure just by the plants dead leaves.
    Greg

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

Frank, in high school I played a bass Euphonium, also known as a four valve Tuba. Didn't sound anything like an Aeolian harp :-)

Love Chopin!

For those who may not know, In a Mellow Tone is an old jazz standard written by Duke Ellington, and performed by his band, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Coleman Hawkins, and countless others. Jeff posted the first two stanzas, and I posted the second half of the lyrics.

Thanks for this thread Jeff! It has been fun and educational, and from hot to cold.

Brad

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

And here all this time I was waiting for you to say I'm just mad about Saffron. Thanks for enlightening me.

• greenjay
    12 years ago

Jeff, " Stunning" thanks for sharing .....

Original Author
    12 years ago

Brad,

This thread making you happy is small beer compared with your pics of succulents you've shared with us. Just for you, I've found a full body shot of the plant, just more proof good things grow in shallow containers.

{{gwi:504208}}

Speaking of hot, I'm hot to have my passport redone - is this a fair representation (thanks for photo to Cactus J!)?

{{gwi:504211}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Not only did the plant get in the newspaper (again), I gave away a pup of it on a spur of the moment. Darn those spurs...
    {{gwi:98630}}

• Arid
    11 years ago

A stunning Aeonium Jeff!

Hey, I think you might be the one who gave me a cutting of A. arboreum rubrolineatum at a C/S show in San Diego a few years back. Would that possibly be you?

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

So Jeff, would that fair representation be Mirounga angustirostris, by any chance?

Nice newspaper photo, BTW.

Christopher

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Ah, I thought it was that plant!

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Photo's, poets, newspapers, screenshots - its all here! Love the Aeonium and yes it is a great pic as well, glossy and who needs flowers.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Arid,

That's me. Somehow no one else had this plant for a number of years. How's it doing?

Christopher,

It is, too, from San Benitos Island, IIRC Cactus Jordi's pictures.

Colleen,

Your plants are getting pulled/plucked today.

Rian,

That's just my thinking. I'll go sing a Bob Dylan song now...

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

I plucked out a couple yesterday. I'm keeping track of the dates! Before May 10, week before May 10.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!