Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In a Mellow Tone

Posted by cactusmcharris 4 / Interior BC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 9:50

Aeoniums - not only are they a genus that name of which contains all vowels, not only is the genus name seven letters long (bingo word!), but it's a plant that looks lovely in the winter here, and this particular A. arboreum v. atropurpureum hybrid (?) has been sitting in its shallow pot very prettily these last few weeks, waiting for me to take note of its understated glamour.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In a Mellow Tone

Very, very nice!

o

In a mellow tone
That's the way to live
If you mope and groan
Something's gotta give

Just go your way
And laugh and play
There's joy unknown
In a mellow tone

What a beautiful sound it makes! i always thought there ought to be a musical instrument named Aeonium. I guess there is ;-)

o

Luscious Looking leafs, amazing how such a delicate looking leaf Can tolerate such cold temps. And even thrive in them.

Nice looking Aloe standing by his side as mellow as can be.
G.

o

Oh my gosh! Those leaves look more like petals than leaves.

o

That is a MOST BEAUTIFUL Aeonium, captured PERFECTLY, Jeff! Hats off to ya!! =)

o

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 18:57

Jeff, it's stunning. <3

o

Jeff, the plant does not even look real it is so perfect! you have the touch!

o

Ladies and Gents,

In a mellow tone
Feeling fancy free
And I'm not alone
I've got company

Everything's ok
The live long day
With this mellow song
I can't go wrong

And thank you. Greg, that plant's been inside the house all winter - it's not cold-hardy (no Aeonium is).

o

Wait a minute , I've always heard Aeoniums
were winter growers, did something change this year?

Just wondering,

Greg

o

paracelsus...how about the "Aeolian harp"? Just a few letters off, but almost the same pronunciation...almost.

Try: Youtube...Chopin etude no. 1- Op. 25, for a "mellow mood".

Frank

o

very nice...if it would only take Texas heat.

o

Greg,

No, that's still correct. It's in growth now (see the green?).

o

Cactusmcharris, Ok, I think I got it they are winter growers but do not necessarily like the Cold, cold weather, they just grow durring the winter months, right?

Ok , If thats correct I learned something today and for that I say thank you. I was thinking, Winter grower meant it loved the cold weather.

I love this forum, I really do, and I appreciate everyone's help here also, I've learned alot and continue to everyday. Thanks to All.

Greg

o

Greg, almost no 'winter growing' succulents grow when conditions are below freezing as it is most of the time in winter way up north in the frozen wastelands where Jeff lives. They grow mostly in the fall and spring, but not in the 'dead' of winter. Most succulents can not survive sustained temperatures even a few degrees below freezing. Aeoniums in particular come from the Canary Islands where it almost never freezes. It is better to refer to 'winter growing' plants as summer dormant. That term is much less confusing.

Brad

o

Brad point well taken , here I must grow them in the
Winter months, and put them under my benches in the summer, it has pretty warm here, so the are bolting into flower. Unfortunately they are my variegted var.
I only wish my hair was as wavy as those leaves, and they are splended. The picture is picture perfect, and thank you Jeff and Brad, Norma

o

Brad , thank you for the break down, yeah I was thinking winter growers meant cold temps.

Not to the extent of freezing, but just southern California cold. Lol...

I appreciate your input, both yours and Jeff explanation was and eye opener, of course if I lived where it freezes over I might have learned quicker for sure just by the plants dead leaves.
Greg

o

Frank, in high school I played a bass Euphonium, also known as a four valve Tuba. Didn't sound anything like an Aeolian harp :-)

Love Chopin!

For those who may not know, In a Mellow Tone is an old jazz standard written by Duke Ellington, and performed by his band, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Coleman Hawkins, and countless others. Jeff posted the first two stanzas, and I posted the second half of the lyrics.

Thanks for this thread Jeff! It has been fun and educational, and from hot to cold.

Brad

o

And here all this time I was waiting for you to say I'm just mad about Saffron. Thanks for enlightening me.

o

Jeff, " Stunning" thanks for sharing .....

o

Brad,

This thread making you happy is small beer compared with your pics of succulents you've shared with us. Just for you, I've found a full body shot of the plant, just more proof good things grow in shallow containers.

Photobucket

Speaking of hot, I'm hot to have my passport redone - is this a fair representation (thanks for photo to Cactus J!)?

Photobucket

o

Not only did the plant get in the newspaper (again), I gave away a pup of it on a spur of the moment. Darn those spurs...
Photobucket

o

• Posted by Arid none (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 21:40

A stunning Aeonium Jeff!

Hey, I think you might be the one who gave me a cutting of A. arboreum rubrolineatum at a C/S show in San Diego a few years back. Would that possibly be you?

o

So Jeff, would that fair representation be Mirounga angustirostris, by any chance?

Nice newspaper photo, BTW.

Christopher

o

Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 23:21

Ah, I thought it was that plant!

o

Photo's, poets, newspapers, screenshots - its all here! Love the Aeonium and yes it is a great pic as well, glossy and who needs flowers.

o

Arid,

That's me. Somehow no one else had this plant for a number of years. How's it doing?

Christopher,

It is, too, from San Benitos Island, IIRC Cactus Jordi's pictures.

Colleen,

Your plants are getting pulled/plucked today.

Rian,

That's just my thinking. I'll go sing a Bob Dylan song now...

o

Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 14:28

I plucked out a couple yesterday. I'm keeping track of the dates! Before May 10, week before May 10.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here