Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hablu

Young Aloe id

hablu
10 years ago

...if possible ofcourse...?

The edges are very smooth; no teeth at all.

thanks in advance
Harry

Comments (18)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

I will leave the IDing to someone with more experience than myself, but that resembles a Gasteraloe more than an Aloe IMO.

Planto

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Good guess, planto. It could also be Gasterworthia or just Gasteria. I'm leaning towards the latter, just never seen that one before. You'll be able to tell when it blooms. It's VERY nice!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Thanks. Maybe one day I will have a pair of eyes than will be able to ID plants like you and Rina. :)

Planto

• hablu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.
    The tag said Aloe perglare, but that seemed incorrect to me.
    I have two for the enormous amount of 2,50 euro, wich is about 3 dollar. :)

greets Harry

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Planto

I am sure you meant roro/rosemarie (rosemariero) she is the ID genius. I only wish I knew 1/100th of what she knows...:)
    Rina

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Rina,
    Oh... Excuse me, I did mispeak (although I think you know more than you're giving yourself credit ;) ). I have "R's" on the brain today it seems. :) Yes, Rosemarie does a lot.

Planto

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

No problem Planto, easy to mix up people.

Rosemarie is always right on, and so generous with her time.
    That's why we stay on this forum, right?

Rina

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I too thought GasterAloe the minute I saw the image. Handsome whatever it is.

• hablu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    Harry

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Oh, you guys are too kind! Hee hee!

Harry, I'll say it looks like an xGasteraloe to me as well. Very close to 'Green Ice' (without the darker green markings), but the impressions on the leaves make me wonder! (definitely not Aloe peglerae) See link below for something similar. They claim it is 'Green Ice'.

Two of them for 2.50 Euro? Woohoo! Three bucks well spent!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:504438}}

• hablu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rosemarie,
    With a little doubt it will be 'Green Ice'

greets
    Harry

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

I'm gonna buck the man (or the lady) here :).... Is this Haworthia marginata?

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Colleen, I think H. marginata is the best guess yet! I still think it's part Gasteria but now I'm convinced that H. marginata is one of the parents. Bravo!

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

I can see a Gasteria look to it, I agree, Ryan. But I admit I see a fairly Gasteria-ish look when I see some pictures of what is labeled as straight H. marginata. If the pictures are labeled correctly.

I do pause because H. marginata is so hard to find.

I am reminded of H. scabra in the fact that it, too, could perhaps be mistaken for a G if one didn't know better. Though, with scabra I've yet to see one without the fairly clearly pointed leaves that I would expect, and I have seen big differences among H. marginata photos.

For the sake of my getting a brighter head, I'd love to know the reasoning behind your gut feeling for it being part Gasteria. I have guesses.

This post was edited by teatree on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 0:01

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

You know, all the ones I have seen in person have fairly pointed leaves, not rounded at the end... but now that I'm doing some image searches I see a few plants that look just like Harry's and labeled H. marginata. Of course, there could be many variations in leaf form just like other Haworthias, so maybe it's not a cross.

To answer your question, it was the rounded leaf tips with the small point at the end that made me think Gasteria was in there.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

To answer your question, it was the rounded leaf tips with the small point at the end that made me think Gasteria was in there.

Okay, me too!! But I'm right there with you. Look at all the diversity in those pictures.

• reggie
    10 years ago

You all beat me to it. I was going to guess H. marginata as well. Have it on the brain as it is on my wish list. :-)

Check out this picture label H. marginata from flickr. Who knows if it's label correctly or not.
    {{gwi:504439}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Haworthia marginata

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I know that Haworthias can change and develop a different leaf form over time, especially when watching them develop from seed, so who knows?... maybe it'll change. Or, again, there could be quite a bit of variation between seedlings and also localities/populations.

Reggie, I also have a pic from Flickr labeled as Haworthia marginata, Ashton Hill - with locality data! This photo and plant belong to a very good grower, Juan Ramon Alonso. I'm sure the label is correct.
    {{gwi:504440}}
    Below is a link to a side view of the same plant, taken 2 years previous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Haworthia marginata