Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Jade from Leaves

Posted by lme5573 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 10:16

In Sept 2012 I tried to root some Jade leaves. I understood that the Tricolor would give me a solid leaved plant, but I was surprised to see the new plant is so different. It has a red edge and the leaves look almost furry.
The second leaf was a Hobbit, and the babies from that leaf are all similar to Crosby's Compact. The biggest one has very tiny, round leaves, but two smaller ones have definite pointed leaves.

Lennie in Michigan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Jade from Leaves

Here's a close up of the pointed leaves. I'm letting it grow for now, but would like to pot the pointed leaved plant separately once I'm certain it will stay like that.

Now I wonder - what does a Gollum leaf revert to? More Crosby's? And what about a Wavy Jade? That's a hybrid, too, isn't it?

I have new leaves waiting to root, but I'd love to hear if you got something exciting from your jade leaves.

Lennie in Michigan

o

Juvenile leaves (and plants) are often different from their mature forms.

o

Thanks! I will restrain my enthusiasm. ;-)
Lennie

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 14:48

Here is one of my Gollum leaves in left photo (second leaf was in different pot), and in right photo - two babies that grew from these leaves. Exactly a year - don't have current photo right now.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 14:50

o

Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 15:01

Tricolor leaves are same as yours Lennie (green), but too small yet to tell if any variation in shape of leaves.

Rina

o

Cool plantlets!
The 'Gollum' that I've propagated from leaves have grown true to form, just like Rina's.

Josh

o

Those are all SO cool!! TFS

o

Thanks, Rina for the pix, they are so cool, and what is that peeking over the edge of the pot? At first I thought it was a Christmas Cactus, but now I'm not sure.

Josh, interesting to hear the Gollum leaves grow true. I didn't expect that.

Lennie

o

Here's an old pic of a 'Gollum' plantlet grown from a leaf.

Josh

o

Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 20:36

Lennie

That is a broken-off piece of kalanchoe, like the one in the photo. It is in same pot, just can't see the stem.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 20:37

o

I see it now. Thanks!
Lennie

o

Here are the Gollum babies today - from leaves in March 2012 to today.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 0:06

o

They are looking good, Rina. You can't be impatient when trying to grow from a leaf. Put them in a pot and forget about them. :-)
Lennie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here