Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emerald1951

update for mike and all...

emerald1951
14 years ago

Hi Mike and all, just thought I would post a new picture of my jade cutting from Mike..

remember the first picture...

{{gwi:504854}}
and now...........

{{gwi:504856}}
and also the leaves I started.....

{{gwi:504858}}
thanks for looking.

hope others will post their cuttings too, this is so great to see theses cuttings and how they are doing all over the states...btw, my cutting is started to grow alot now....I'm in minnesota....

linda

Comments (38)

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

Oh, I like very much. I have never seen a variegated one like that. Must keep my eye open for that one.
    Keep on posting those pics.
    Stacey

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Great job Linda! Mine just does not seem to want to root. Not sure whats wrong. I've started other cuttings way after this one and they have all begun to root and grow new leaves. Hmm..its in Al's gritty mix, I provide artificial light (also for warmth). Any suggestions? Maybe just a waiting game...I've just been waiting for a while. :( Should I possibly cut the stem at the bottom (very little) and allow to callous again? Then replant?

Thanks
    Ashley

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very nice Linda...looks great!

Ashley, I have a few cuttings of jades that I'm rooting now, similar boat that you're in. Its taking forever to root. I had a few jades cuttings that took almost 3 months to root! I'm rooting a couple now that has not one single root and its been in there for 4 weeks.

Before...
    {{gwi:504860}}

Now...Notice how different the colors are. I've been keeping this one pretty dry its outside and since its been a very cold winter here in FL I think is the reason why the leaves are so dark. Soon enough I'm sure it will look like the original picture when we lose our cold weather.
    {{gwi:504862}}

• User
    14 years ago

No Ashley, I suggest you don't re-cut (likely to slow it down even further). Unfortunately it's really just as Puglvr suggests, time & patience.

Seems to be the ONE thing no one teaches & few folks remember to tell folks -- one needs to learn patience for gardening.

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Pirate Girl...
    Ashley was patient.. and still is.. :) Her concerns are because it rooted once, and then they broke off. So she's back to square one...but it's taking longer the second time around.

Hang in there Ashley... I'm sure it will be O.K. :)

I think your doing all you can. :)

Linda!
    This is wonderful to bring back up!! I will post pics later or tomorrow.. My computer is being a pain!

Beautiful plants everyone!

Linda,
    What kind of light/enviorment is yours in, the yellow is beautiful!!!

JoJo

• emerald1951
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow puglvr1, look how different the two plants look, yours is so red, and mine is very yellow and green...mine is in a south window full sun as much as we get here...I have a tri color next to it and that is getting a pinkish color to it...fun plants, look great...linda

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

Thanks JoJo! I have been paitent, so I will keep my fingers crossed. :)

Linda! I must agree with JoJo, the yellow on your plant is so pretty!

Pug, great color as well on yours! I love the maroon! The new pot that you've planted it in looks more shallow than what you started it in. Is it a bulb pot that you're using now? I'm trying to find some shallow but wide pots to put about 17 leaves i've rooted along with 4 cuttings that have rooted as well....(see I've had luck with these within weeks :/ but I will keep waiting for Mikes cutting to root, esp with everyones success)

Can't wait to see everyone elses cutting!

Ashley

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Ashley, just hang in there, I know its hard. I've never been blessed with Patience. Good luck but I bet once the weather warms up it will root faster.

I got this shallow pot(2 1/2")deep at a garage sale...it had a plastic cactus in it for 25 cents,lol... I bought the two they had. I removed the fake cactus and drilled a hole on the bottom. I've never been able to find these types of pots anywhere for sale either.

Thanks Linda, I think mine will look more like yours once our weather warms up. I will post a picture in a couple of months when it changes back. Your yellow leaves are very pretty!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Linda, your lemon-lime colors are wonderful!
    And you've gotten some significant growth these past months!
    Mine have extended about an inch, but that's it. I'll post some update
    pics as soon as I can. Great Thread, I agree!

Pug, yours have really grown a lot, too! Beautiful deep and bright reds!
    I'm amazed by the color, truly!

Ashley, how many leaves are left on the cutting?
    If there are several pairs, you might try removing the lowest / oldest
    pair. The window-sill might be best, now that the sun is increasing.

Patience? I say, MAKE that Jade root...! ;)

Josh

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Do not water cuttings of 'Jade' until you see new leaves, and don't overpot it. What I see here I am very pleased, looks like your reading our posts, that is rewarding to all of use that are giving advise. Thank you, a great bunch of 'Jades' shown today, it would make any mother proud. Norma

14 years ago

Well...
    I took some hasty pics in less than optimal lighting...

Two of Mike's cuttings were added to my "Jade Forest" -

{{gwi:504864}}

The curviest cutting was rooted solo, and I'm hoping to turn this one into something special!

{{gwi:504866}}

Lastly, I tried to get a pic of all three cuttings...not entirely successful. No flash...

{{gwi:504868}}

Josh

• emerald1951
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi...I don't know what all is in Al's mix...
    mine is just miracle grow potting soil, cactus soil, and perlite equal parts...I use this for all my plants, its fast draining/drying, works great for me, I just stick in the cutting and wait for growth and then water a tablespoon full of water..and when it really gets growing, water the same as the others...
    thanks to all, hoping for more pictures, love pictures..
    ps.....wheres Mike????

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

I was wondering the same thing linda. :) Hope he gets by here soon! :)

I know he's been working alot of hours lately...

Als mix is equal parts of turface, pine bark, and grit. :)

Everything looks great everyone!

Nancy, is yours Mikes cutting? I cant belvie the red!

Josh,
    The pics look great! So do the plants!! I have one from Mike with a neat curve to it too...:)

I will see about getting pics up tomorrow.

JoJo

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Cute Jade Josh!! You were the lucky one with the bloom on your cutting...so pretty!

Hi Jojo...yes mine is from Mike's plant also...I can't believe the before and after picture either. The reds I'm pretty sure is from the direct sun and leaving them outside in our very cold nights. I only brought them in the FL room when the temps called for a freeze, other wise I left them outside next to a south wall. Hard to believe that is the same plant. The color contrast is pretty drastic.

14 years ago

Thanks, JoJo and Pug!
    You all know how much I enjoy these Jade Threads!
    And I thought, perhaps, that we could add our time-frames on these cuttings:

I started mine November 1, 2009 - so these have been rooting/growing
    for just about four months.

Josh

• emerald1951
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HI all, good idea Josh...
    I recieved my cutting and planted it on Oct.9,09.....
    {{gwi:504870}}
    this is my cutting when I got it....

hoping for more pictures everyone, I know Mike sent out lots of cuttings...
    puglvr1, its the cold that brings out the red???
    as you can see mine has no red, but then my plant is in a south window, full sun...
    I also have a tri color there, and its getting a pink color to it..
    and I have a hummel sunset and it was very colorful when I got it and few months back and now it is all dark green no color :( I hope the color comes back when I take all my plants outside this spring...or is it the cold temps that makes the color on a sunset???
    keep the pictures coming, we all love seeing them...linda

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Hey everyone!

Yes, Josh, I will make it root! haha! :) You asked about the leaves, well 4 are all I have left (and the tiny tiny leaves, the dark dot in the center, in the middle that haven't grown out at all) after the one fell off yesterday evening. Probably because of the rain, I left them out :/ but they weren't soaked! Should I take off those 2 bigger leaves, as you suggested?

Here is my jade now plus another small cutting from Sandra. It lost another leaf so I've placed that one in sand, only because I've recently had 17 or more Jade leaves root in sand within a month. I figure, if it worked for them then hopefully it will work for this one.

{{gwi:504872}}
    {{gwi:504874}}

Ah, hopefully there will be roots soon. The stem is really curved so the end almost sticks out of the mix, could this be affecting the rooting process?

Thanks!

Ashley

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Stacey,

If you'd like some cuttings of a variegate C. ovata, contact me privately, please.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

I received my Jade from Mike on Oct. 08,09...so mine's been growing for 5 months.

Good luck Ashley, your cuttings still looks great, I'm sure it will root very soon.

Linda, I do believe it's the combination of cold and direct sun that has given my Jades the reds. My hummel sunset has colored up nicely too because of it. Mine will look like yours (all green) starting late Spring through late fall. The colder my nights are the more intense the colors get. Other wise when its hot it just stays green and it goes dormant in summer(way too hot and humid) for them.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Um....Wow is what I ahve to say..

I can't believe the difference in coloring from state to state, and the rooting process..

There is a lot to learn from each other, and this is wonderful..As Norma said, it makes a mother and pop proud..:-)

Mine never looked like these colors, especially the red and yellow..Absolutely beautiful.It is so nice to see these pics and to see the cuttings are making it..Thank You!

Hi Pug, Josh, Linda, Pg,cactus, Ash, Houseplantlover, and JOJO!!Thanks for posting pics as promised, what a blessing to see them doing well from all over the country!

Linda, one question..What have you done or fed them to get that yellow? I love it!

Mike..;-)

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Everyone's cuttings are doing great..!!! It's odd how one, host plant can produce different colored leaves..
    Does anyone know if variegated Jades grow tree-like when mature..similar to Crassula Ovatas??

It'd be one beauty... Toni

14 years ago

Hey, Toni, these are Crassula ovata!
    They'lll be trees one day! ;)

Josh

• emerald1951
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi..Mike I am so glad you are here...
    As I said before mine cutting/I guess I should say plant now, is in the south window, full sun..and I feed it Schultz plant food..your guess is better then mine as to why it is so yellow...
    I really love this jade I really hope I can keep it going..
    thank you again Mike for being so generous...
    I stopped at my favorite green house the other day and told them about Mikes jade and they want to see it...
    I have been looking, but can not find this jade any where..
    I still want to see more pictures everyone I know Mike sent out lots of cuttings, Mike how many did you send out????.....linda

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Here I am finally! ROFL!

Oh life is so unorganized these days.

Here's a pic of when it started to root/grow.. I don't remember the date, but know I was one of the last Mike sent cuttings to(had just joined grouop, not saying he was slow...LOL)

{{gwi:69284}}

And now.. I'ts in a new pot! took on a little red, I didn't have it in enough sun.. was afraid of hurting it..:)

{{gwi:504876}}

{{gwi:504878}}

{{gwi:504880}}

{{gwi:504882}}

If I get a chance, I will try and look up dates.

Mike,
    A huge thank you again!!

JoJo

14 years ago

Well, here we are about a month later...time for an update!
    Nice red-edges on your leaves, JoJo! Your plant looks as though it could use some water, however...

This is just one of the cuttings Mike sent. It's in its own pot, so it's easier to photograph.
    The others are looking equally vigorous, but with more red on the new growth.

{{gwi:504884}}

{{gwi:504886}}

Josh

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Hi Josh,
    Thanks for the heads up..:) Yes, it was a little low on water. We had a warm spell right in the middle of getting the door in.
    Then I transplanted it into new pot and gritty mix. I've given it a good drink since this photo. :) Now to get the hang of watering with the gritty..:)

Yours looks great! What a neat color of yellow!! Glad to see you post. :)

I am just amazed at how much color changes in the different zones. :)

Thanks ;) I love the red on mine.

I hope others come along and post more. I love pics. :)

JoJo

14 years ago

Hey, JoJo!

Here are the other two cuttings Mike sent, mixed into my Jade Forest....
    I haven't paid these much attention, so they're a bit on the dry side -
    You can see the slightly wrinkled leaves. I watered this morning.

{{gwi:504888}}

{{gwi:504889}}

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Dimples. he he...

They look great Josh, love the little forest. :)

I just gave mine a little drink. ;)

JoJo

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I sent somone 15 different Jade cutting just don't remember to whom. I just wonder how they are getting on with their life. It's nice to see you all so excited about this plant it is refreshing! I glad to see that Jeff is still sharing. Some of this species C. ovata, will never turn all red. It is in their DNA just like I tured up with red hair, none of my kids inherited it. But two of my grandchilden did, and one had blond hair, several of them even had curly hair, mine is stick straight. Go figure. Norma

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Jojo and Josh, your Jades are looking great! Thanks for the updates.
    Mine lost almost all the red except the edges...right on cue! I knew once our temps start heating up again it would get the green color back. Here's mine! I love this Jade, thanks Mike!
    {{gwi:504890}}

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Unbelievable everyone!!!

I can't believe the stark difference in only one month on yours Nancy!! Wow..My Mother loves the one from last month, lol

Josh!!! Look at the green green as the back drop for your pics! Beautiful. I can't believe how fast times goes by from when I sent them..They are all so cute and doing well!:-)

Norma, it was your suggestion to trim this plant. If you ever want a piece, please e-mail me..:-)

Jeff, do you have a pic of the jade you are referring too? I would love to see one, and I might even ask you for a trade if you wouldn't mind..:-)

Jojo, Jojo, you certainly seem to have happy campers there..I can't believe that yours are doing well so fast. I wonder if that hot Arizona sun has anything to say about it?lol. How is your stag horn doing anyway?
    Thank you for everything and the pics..

Linda, you are missed..Hope you are well as also your jades..

Thanks so much for the updates!

MIke..:-)

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Hello everyone!
    Mike, good to see you stop in!! :) And Thanks..;) It is doing well for the short time i've had it. Hot Az. sun... No way! My TLC...:)

It took me 3 weeks to find a pot I like, and I didn't think to set it out while I was looking..ROFL! So it didn't color as well as it could have.

And like Nancy, mine will get back to green soon. But I love it still. Thanks Mike..;)

Nancy, I can't belive how fast yours is back to green. Wow! Still a beauty though.
    I thinks it's kinda neat for people like you and I who don't get the color changes in the season on trees like others.. We get our own unique color changes on small plants.

I hope everyone has a great day and we see more updates!

JoJo

14 years ago

Pug, just as yours turn back to green...mine are coming into color....like clock-work every year!!! Although our Jades do color at different times, Pug and I have noticed that they share a common "dormancy" during the hottest part of summer. After the peak of summer passes, Jades will resume growth.

By the way, Nancy, your Jade is looking huge!

Mike, my yard is a sea of green right now! I'm mowing the lawns on an alternating schedule, twice a week, just to keep up with the massive growth! We've had incredible rain and mild weather. Even the pessimists are being forced to admit that California is *near* 100% of our average rainfall.

Today is breezy, 75°F....the plants are on the deck.

Josh

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks Mike, Jojo and Josh!

Mike, I agree with your Mom, I like the reddish on it also.
    But the green is pretty too.

Jojo, I like the pot you picked out! Very pretty!

Josh, I have to give this guy a trim around the end of Oct. once our weather starts to cool off at night. You're so right about ours going dormant in the summer...mine is starting to slow down now.

So interesting that yours is coloring up now and mine are reverting back. Enjoy your pretty colors.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I see some of you listened to my advise over the past 10 years. Some thing is not quiet right about the first picture we saw, with the wine colored undersides, It could be a crossing of several differnet species of Crassulaceae. Especially if the plant started out in Mr. Hummel's hands. The leaf shape is not right for a Crassula ovata of any form that I know of or have met, but does match my Cotyledon. But there is a species of Kalanchoe which is a member of the Crassulaceae species. The color wine on the underside is unheard of in Crassula ovata 'Jade' ovata. I am not saying that it can't be a throw back to a prervious generation of X's. I sure would like to know the whole story. Norma

• juleclmns
    14 years ago

Hey @ all,
    what for nice plants =)
    Mike, did you have a cutting from your Crassula variegata Lemon 'n Lime left for me???
    I have cuttings for you for offer in exchange or i can pay you the cutting. That would be very nice from you ^^
    Sorry for my bed englisch.
    Kind regards
    Julez

13 years ago

Nearly another month has passed! Updates, please!

The first four pics were taken under a cloudy sky about half an hour ago.
    Last pic was taken yesterday...in the morning sun...

Cutting #1

{{gwi:504891}}

Cutting #1
    I think the stems on this Jade will be almost as bright as my 'Hummel's Sunset' -

{{gwi:504892}}

Cutting #2

{{gwi:504893}}

Cutting #3

{{gwi:504894}}

Cutting #2 (yesterday)

{{gwi:504895}}

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Oh they are so beautiful...!

These cool days and warm sun do the trick!!

Thank you Josh..Love them. They are a;; so cute!!

Mike