Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composted Cyphostemma juttae....thread jump-start

Posted by BronxFigs Zone-7 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 11:21

Back in 2007 a thread was started showing some stem cuttings from a Cyphostemma juttae sprouting roots after being composted.

I asked a few questions regarding this old information on that previous thread, and yet see that my new posting on this old thread has not shown up at the top of the current listings....so, I'm jump-starting this thread again.

You'll find a request for new information posted at the end of the "Composted Cyphostemma juttae" thread started in 2007.

Please post some updated information.

Thanks,

Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composted Cyphostemma juttae....thread jump-start

Frank of Juttland,

May we have the link?

o

It is easier.
Here is a link that might be useful:Cyphostemma juttae

o

Sorry for not linking up the threads. I did not know how to do this step, and I'm sorry I am not more adept with this computer.

longaeva54: Thanks for helping.

Interested in the rooted cuttings and how they fared...if they grew into respectable plants?

Thanks again,
Frank

o

Those cutting were grown on for 2yrs then sold. Sadly I took no photos before they were purchased. The plants looked like fatter fat bastards. I plan on doing more this season.

o

caudex1....

Do you think, or, from your experiences, that these cuttings will also develop the fat caudex of the parent plant? Did your cuttings grow as fast as the original plant?

Just curious.

Frank

o

Frank,
The cuttings do take on the characteristics of the parent plant in size and speed. I haven't seen any large plants from leaf cuttings so not sure what the mature look would be like.
juttae cuttings develop similar roots to the link below, but the trunk is much thicker

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyphostemma fat b@stard

o

caudex1....

Thanks for the photo link.

I had my eye of that "Fat B@stard" plant, but the trunk seems to be a bit too lean for my tastes. Too much like Cypho. hardyi, and not enough C. juttae...

Miles2Go shows a larger specimen of "Fat B@stard"...and the plant looks pretty nice once it grows out a bit. Ummm....

Frank

o

Frank,

Trust me, you will not want to be without one or two, but preferably more (I need to get a third one...).

o
And you're spot on

I need an updated pic, as they've begun to leaf out, but there are two in the pic (can you spot them?) from a few months ago (holds breath to help winter's passing to spring, in spite of the dusting of snow last night).

Photobucket

o

Love to look at the photos of your collection of plants, and the Cyphos. just beginning to wake up.

Thanks for the pics.

Frank

o

Hello All!

I have one of this plant. It's about 4 inch in diameter at the base with NO leaves. Should it be leafing? Thank you for your help.

Gary

o

A little early for juttae to be leafing out, Apr/May you should start seeing activity. The vining species are starting to push new foliage now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here