Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Echeveria? Looks good or bad?

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 11:46

Got this plant a couple months ago, an Echeveria I think. A lot of the lower leaves fell off about a week later, probably got pretty cold at night at the store before I bought it.

I've been putting it out in the sun on days about 65 or warmer, and am not sure if it's looking better or worse. The new leaves are pointing up while the older ones are (and were, but not as much) pointing more down.

There are some weird spots on 2 of the stems. Any thoughts?

Is that a sunburn spot on one of the leaves? It doesn't feel any different than any other leaf.

It's in the peat it came in still, I've been letting it get very dry before watering, not getting water on the leaves but it's possible that a drop got on that one leaf while it was in the sun. Would that cause a spot like that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Echeveria? Looks good or bad?

Another angle.

o

Is that stem on the right cause for concern?

o

This stem is the one on the left in the pic above.

Would it be possible to sever the nice-looking tips to root, or is it necessary to do single leaves?

o

Hi Purp,

Yes, it's a Ech (don't know which) & I think broadly speaking it looks good. Echeveria are Crassulacae, & therefore cousins of Jades (Crassula ovata), so pls. consider remembering all you've heard & read abt mixes for Jades. I think this mix is horrid for it & likely hindering plants which otherwise seem to be working hard.

Dings, marrs, leave damage is (to me) far less a concern than the bad mix this is in. That's where I'd put my efforts. Also I'd consider maybe a bit larger pot & maybe even clay. All that said Purple, I did wish to say most folks I know struggle when growing these indoors, you have the luxury of moving them outdoors when weather allows & they should do well for you. Eches are mostly Mexican so pls, consider that & know they can & do want full, direct sun (after gradual exposure of course).

o

Hey PG, thanks! You know I hate this peat, but I don't want to repot and then un/repot again to complete the mini gardens, so trying to keep these plants happy as they are. The weather is not cooperating with the schedule I had in mind, I'm sure I'm in abundant and widespread company on that! I keep shuffling them in/out, and may have to get sheets out Tuesday night to cover some things. Sheesh!!!

I love the pretty color it's getting from getting outside some lately. The inside/outside thing you mentioned makes your advice especially helpful in certain ways, I appreciate it!

You also know I'm in remission from my overwatering addiction, so have only watered this when I think it will blow away outside if I don't.

I'd like to root the tips of these plants, the top 4-6 leaves on each. Would the tips keep growing as is, or make a new little plant come up from the new roots? ...or both? What would the mama stumps "do?"

o

It looks fine to me. I would root that one stem though if it was me. but it is not necessary

o

Hey, TG, I know it's not necessary. I just think the bottom part of these stems are kind of ugly, abused, and the vigorous tips with the leaves pointing up would be much cuter in a mini garden. One way to find out...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here