Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactus_cowboy

Ferocactus seedlings

cactus_cowboy
9 years ago

I'm getting some great germination with 15 year old Ferocactus seeds. This is F. gracilis.

Comments (20)

• azpedsrn
    9 years ago

Nice to hear that. I have seeds I ordered 3-4 years ago and wondered whether to throw them out or try my luck with them. I guess I'll try my luck. Congratulations on the babies.

• Dzitmoidonc
    9 years ago

Hi CC. Long time. The plants you sent me in '97 are still here, except for the ones growing at a public conservatory in Baltimore. The Feros got big, so the Feros. (emoryii, pilosus, schwarzii) you sent and several others that I grew from seed (about 10 plants total) are growing at the Howard Peters Rawlings Conservatory. They also have an Espostoa you sent (now about 6ft. tall with side branches), and a couple of others. Still got the fever, huh. Me too. When you sent the dollar plants, it got me a ticket on the cactoholic express, and I haven't been able to get off that ride. Good to hear from you. Pete

• cactus_cowboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pete,

Great to hear from you and I'm delighted those plants have done so well. My original collection from those days was decimated in a mid winter power outage/heater shut off about twelve years ago. I've recently refurbished the greenhouse with twin wall polycarbonate. I've been planting lots of cacti seed, much of it from my own plants 12-15 years ago. Rebuilding the collection. :)

• dstefan
    9 years ago

Could you share your technique and conditions. I've got some seed from some beautiful AZ native barrels it like to propagate, but have never grown from seed.
    Thanks,
    David in Phoenix

• dianashh
    9 years ago

Hi there - Congrats on the baby cacti! I have a question, my 15 year old Echinocactus flowered this year for the first time, I collected the seeds today and soaked them to plant with a syringe tomorrow⦠then I was told that I will have to wait for 4-6 weeks⦠Am I doing the right thing? is there anything else that I need to know?? Thank you! :)

• cactus_cowboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sowing cacti seed: I fill 2.5" or 3" pots with mix (topsoil/sand/gravel/perlite). Scatter seed on top of mix and barely cover the seed with a thin layer of sand. Place pots in a tray of shallow water, until thoroughly wet. Place the pots either inside plastic bag or in a tray covered with a sheet of plastic, to maintain moisture. Upon germination, increase exposure to fresh air, and provide more of a wet/dry watering cycle.

• Hazem Al-akhdar
    3 years ago

Helloo guy please let me know where is the seeds on ferocactus i have the plant and i need to get seeds from them how, thank you

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    3 years ago

Hazam, Ferocactus fruit will be right on top of the cactus. You can’t miss them, they look sort of look like strawberries or little pineapples.

My F. latispinus fruit

Some Ferocactus fruit look more like this.

pic from Google.

• Hazem Al-akhdar
    3 years ago

Hello kara, Allright thank you very much so i have to wait for the fruit amazing thanks alot

• Hazem Al-akhdar
    3 years ago

Its my ferocactus i think its need times to get it

• Hazem Al-akhdar
    3 years ago

For the first time im trying from the seeds, i have some mammillaria seeds its day 4 now can i try it now?

• s g
    3 years ago

It will be many years before it flowers and they don't always set seed. Some of my Feros have never set seed, others will every year.

• Hazem Al-akhdar
    3 years ago

Ummm its not very well news i need it i know how i can buy some of it in our country and i have this one

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What country are you from? Ferocactus are pretty common I’m sure if you keep your eye open you’ll find what you need. Here’s a link to a shop that sells Ferocactus seeds. I’ve never ordered from them so I have no idea how good their seeds are and their germination rates.

Your little Ferocactus has some yrs before it flowers. It still has its baby tubercles and no ribs yet🙂.

• Hazem Al-akhdar
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Im from lebanon thank you very much for the help, i have one more question when i get seeds how many time need to starting use the seeds? Guys you check my instagram page i think you will like it.. @greencactus.lb.... Don't forget to follow to give me extra pushing thanks again

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    3 years ago

I would sow the seeds as soon as you can.🙂

• Hazem Al-akhdar
    3 years ago

🥰

• Hazem Al-akhdar
    3 years ago

🥰

• Hazem Al-akhdar
    3 years ago

@greencactus.lb