Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ferocactus seedlings

Posted by cactus_cowboy z4 WY (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 11:47

I'm getting some great germination with 15 year old Ferocactus seeds. This is F. gracilis.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ferocactus seedlings

Nice to hear that. I have seeds I ordered 3-4 years ago and wondered whether to throw them out or try my luck with them. I guess I'll try my luck. Congratulations on the babies.

o

Hi CC. Long time. The plants you sent me in '97 are still here, except for the ones growing at a public conservatory in Baltimore. The Feros got big, so the Feros. (emoryii, pilosus, schwarzii) you sent and several others that I grew from seed (about 10 plants total) are growing at the Howard Peters Rawlings Conservatory. They also have an Espostoa you sent (now about 6ft. tall with side branches), and a couple of others. Still got the fever, huh. Me too. When you sent the dollar plants, it got me a ticket on the cactoholic express, and I haven't been able to get off that ride. Good to hear from you. Pete

o

Pete,

Great to hear from you and I'm delighted those plants have done so well. My original collection from those days was decimated in a mid winter power outage/heater shut off about twelve years ago. I've recently refurbished the greenhouse with twin wall polycarbonate. I've been planting lots of cacti seed, much of it from my own plants 12-15 years ago. Rebuilding the collection. :)

o

Could you share your technique and conditions. I've got some seed from some beautiful AZ native barrels it like to propagate, but have never grown from seed.
Thanks,
David in Phoenix

o

Hi there - Congrats on the baby cacti! I have a question, my 15 year old Echinocactus flowered this year for the first time, I collected the seeds today and soaked them to plant with a syringe tomorrow… then I was told that I will have to wait for 4-6 weeks… Am I doing the right thing? is there anything else that I need to know?? Thank you! :)

o

Sowing cacti seed: I fill 2.5" or 3" pots with mix (topsoil/sand/gravel/perlite). Scatter seed on top of mix and barely cover the seed with a thin layer of sand. Place pots in a tray of shallow water, until thoroughly wet. Place the pots either inside plastic bag or in a tray covered with a sheet of plastic, to maintain moisture. Upon germination, increase exposure to fresh air, and provide more of a wet/dry watering cycle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here