Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Epiphyllum not blooming

bill_ri_z6b
11 years ago

I have an E. "Unforgettable" that's at least four years old. It's grown like flat spaghetti dangling to about three feet. It's in bright light but not direct sun. I have it in an unheated sun room where days in winter may be 55-70 and nights in the 50's and possibly high 40's but rarely. It's growing well with no signs of insects or disease nor any stress. It just doesn't bloom. To be honest, the only thing about Epiphylum, to me, are the flowers, because the plants really aren't very attractive. Any suggestions are welcome.

{{gwi:5901}}

Comments (23)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Bill,

Warmer at nights will get you to where you're wanting to go. I don't think when they're wanting to flower is when they can take temps like that and produce a flower/fruit/seed (the whole purpose of flowering).

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cactusmcharris,
    Thanks for the reply. Only thing is that it's in the same room all during the year, so it get's pretty warm come spring, summer and fall. It's been in there for at least four years and has never bloomed. So, my question is this: do they tend to bloom in winter (i.e. short-day plants) so they need warmer temps in winter? Or should it have flowered in summer or whenever when the room is naturally warm anyway?

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Mine are outside and bloom every year around april,if memory serves me correctly.I'm in S.calif though.
    Kathi

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Mine bloom mid-summer to early fall here in Texas, they stay outside year round, most in full sun. I am on the coast and a freeze is rare for us. It`s 84 out there right now.

They like heat, heat and more heat and a heavy dose of fertilizer at the beginning of the summer. I get more blooms when we have a dry summer as opposed to those summers it rains all the time.
    Good luck with it.
    Tally HO!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have heard that if you keep them inside, That it is important to keep them on a natural light/dark schedule in the spring. I put mine outside in February and sweat it through the few freezes by moving it close to the house. It is an oxypetalum and is a bit more cold hardy than some of the others. A woman in northern NY got hers to bloom by keeping them in what she called a dark greenhouse.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Here are a couple of mine:

{{gwi:506550}}

{{gwi:506552}}

This one was in 2004,and my next door neighbor was building that wall,i made sure I told all of them to BE CAREFUL around my plants.This was the first time this plant had that many blooms all at once.
    {{gwi:506554}}

Kathi

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathi, wow! Mine looks nothing like yours. Mine looks more like thick green spaghetti hanging down. Yours has wide leaves, that look stiffer and upright. Maybe mine needs more sun, but I had always heard that they grow up among tree branches in nature, and liked the bright light, but not direct sun.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Wow Kathi, that bloom is awesome!
    I have a red, no idea the name, which is blooming like crazy right now, that thing never blooms till September so maybe our crazy temps inspired it.
    The ricrac is also starting to sprout some buds.

Bill, yours may be a different variety, leaves vary a lot on these. Though I do grow most of mine in full sun. The red does burn so it is in a bright shady location if that makes sense.
    Tally HO!

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I also have white ones and some that are darker pink.I've been looking for yellow for several years now,with no luck.Mine thrive on neglect.They're on the west side of the house,and do get some late morning sun coming over the top of the house,and then some sun in the afternoon.That wall protects them from the winds..
    I just wished the blooms lasted longer.
    Kathi

• hijole
    11 years ago

This is a current picture of mine which are outside all year long in sunny Calif and we had some pretty cold temps this year too. I can wait till they all spring or pop open :)

Greg

• hijole
    11 years ago

This is one from last year, and your right nothing great without blooms.

Kathy , nice pics you have there they look beautiful.

Greg

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Are you providing fertilizer? They want it. You are seeing growth but not bloom?

• hijole
    11 years ago

I know your asking Bill , but I thought I'd add my .2 cents and that is yes I do add Miracle Gro a few times at least a year maybe more 4 0r 5 times durring the year, it does help a lot .

Greg

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

That's some psychedelic pink ringdom there, Greg. Thanks!

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do feed it regularly when it's showing active growth, which it does almost all year. Right now it's got a lot of new growth and has always grown well. Just no flowers yet. But looking at some of the posted photos here, maybe it just needs to be larger before it will flower.

Kathi - I searched online for yellow and saw that Almost Eden has a yellow, and also on Amazon there is a "yellow delight" offered.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Wow...absolutely beautiful you guys!! I picked this up...actually rescued it from a Big Box store a few days ago...it was bone dry and the leaves were almost shriveled. I paid $1 for it,lol...I've repotted and changed the soil and its looking better.

Do you guys know what type (variety) it might be...I had to get an ID and was told it was an Epiphyllum since I had NO clue what it was...its my very first one. For one dollar I couldn't pass up the chance to rescue it...

Do you think mine might have blooms similar to those? Thanks for your help

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I bought one this a.m. at HD. I am sooo excited!

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Puglvr give it some time and I'm sure it will bloom.
    Kathi

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Kathi...I posted this picture on another forum to get an ID and someone thought it might be Rhipsalis monacantha? I guess I'll find out if and when it blooms...the RM is suppose to have orange blooms, which is fine with me :o)

Enter...good luck with your new HD plant...

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images...Rhipsalis monacantha

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathi -
    Did you read my previous post here about the yellows that I found?

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Thanks Bill,i'll have to check that out.I have bought most of mine from one of our community colleges.They have a plant sale in front of wal mart every year.In fact it should be coming up this month.

Puglvr that link you posted is a good one.However they are showing my pictures that I posted here,the one that my hand is holding the flower as I take the picture,and the one where my one with all the blooms against the cinder blocks for the wall.Guess they just took it upon themselves to snatch it!! Didn't know that was legal,or is it???
    Kathi

• hijole
    11 years ago

The 4th of July show is right about to go off.
    !@*,+*-_*!@%.~ÿ^ÃÂ¥[@!;+*'.*%!@,*".+!-_*!@

• hijole
    11 years ago

Ok, so I have a good question about the best time to cut these in order to propagate them, seeing I don't want too lose any of umm...

Thank you,

Greg