Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

More new to me - now for ID?

As usual, no name tags (bought in well known nursery).

Anybody - help? Could #2 & #3 be divided?

1. {{gwi:506668}} 2{{gwi:506671}} 3{{gwi:506674}}

Thnx.

Rina

Comments (19)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

The 1st looks like a Graptoveria hybrid. The next is Echeveria 'Doris Taylor' or setosa??? and the last is Echeveria shaviana.

As for dividing the last two, I'd wait until the pups are larger and extend out more to give you something to stick in the ground and root. When you do, make sure you callous them for a week or so.

Howard

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Howard

Thank you; looks like I have a plant for "G" thread!
    I am not in a hurry to divide, just like to know. If anything, I guess I should repot them into better soil, it is typical peat with little perlite.

Rina

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Adding to Howard's IDs, I think the first may be xGraptoveria 'Royal Flush'. When it flowers you can get a more positive ID.
    2nd-may be Echeveria 'Pulv-Oliver' or Echeveria harmsii. Again, blooms will help ID.
    3rd does look to be a form of E. shaviana.

Congrats on your new plants Rina!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got few cacti today & one succulent, but again no name tags. I tried to figure out how to id them, but obviously I don't have an idea where to start.

I know I have seen pics here at least looking very similar, but can't find them now.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Would close-ups help?
    Thnx.
    Rina

{{gwi:506677}}

• pennyhal
    11 years ago

Rina, I couldn't see your first photos :(

Don't know anything about cactus except yours look so healthy. Seems like you have a blossom forming on the bottom left one and the top right one. They are going to reward you with flowers for taking them home.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Penny

I have no idea what happened with the pics in first post; they are on photobucket-didn't remove them.

The new ones I just got today, maybe Howard knows - any other cacti collectors???

I grabbed those two with buds, hope they will flower soon. They do look healthy, hope they stay healthy with me too...
    The succulents has 2 flower spikes, there is lots of "branches" from main flower stalk & under magnifying glass they look scale-like.

{{gwi:506680}}
    Thnx.
    Rina

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Hey Rina, nice haul! =)

Back left is a type of Mammillaria. There are so many, I'd have to research-but I don't have time on my hands now. Just jumping in & out of the forum! :) Middle, back, same thing~maybe Jordi will come along & help (or others).

Right back is Peperomia ferreryae. That is not a bloom stalk, but a stem of the plant. Blooms are skinny catkin-looking things (conical spikes). They have a neat stripe of a window on the top of the leaves!

Two cactus in front: they might both be Gymnocalycium. When they bloom, that will help in IDing them. Repost pix then please. It will be a beautiful bloom! Don't miss it! =D

Regarding your disappearing pix above. I did some detective work...you renamed your album, adding "- cacti 2012". That's why it seems the pix have been moved or deleted. In the future, you should just make new sub-albums instead. :)

Here they are again:
    1.{{gwi:506682}} 2. {{gwi:506683}} 3. {{gwi:506684}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosemarie

You are so kind to take time!
    And what a detective - I had no idea that renaming the album would cause this but I guess the original HTML does not match new, right?

Thank you again and do not worry about researching. I will try since now I know it is Mammillaria....not sure I'll sucesseed, but definitely will try.
    This "world of cacti & succulents" is all new to me; everytime I see new photos, am very tempted to get some.

Wishing you Happy Easter.

Rina

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I too was going to suggest Pep. ferreryae, so I agree, nice plant.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

And I'm glad that RoRo ID'd it as a Pep - I was going to put le shoebox in when I would have ID'd it as a funny-looking Dudleya.

Rina, there are hundreds of Mamm species/subspecies/varieties - while I heartily encourage you to look at all of them for an ID, that ID will be definitely more easy to determine when it's in flower.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I found out hard way LOL...there is hundreds&hundreds of pics, no way for me to to even come close. But I like looking at all of them.

(BTW: when I looked up pepperomia on net, it was spelled ferreyrae not ferreryae...)
    Rina

• pennyhal
    11 years ago

Rosemarie, thanks for fixing the photo problem and explaining the problem. I'll know not to do that.

I love the Echeveria shaviana. Interesting how the outer leaves are so different from the inner ones.

11 years ago

And the plant we're discussing is Peperomia, amirite?

As you imply, it's always good to spell things correctly if we're going to spell them out.

I did not know about the rotted wood connection. Anything to do with kimchee is all right with me.

From Wikipedia

Peperomia (radiator plant) is one of the 2 large genera of the Piperaceae family, with more than 1000 recorded species. Most of them are compact, small perennial epiphytes growing on rotten wood. More than 1500 species have been recorded, occurring in all tropical and subtropical regions of the world, though concentrated to Central America and northern South America. A limited number of species (around 17) are found in Africa.

I've never knowingly grown one myself, but you're in a subtropical region of Ontario, right?

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Thanks for catching & correcting the spelling on the Peperomia ferreyrae, Rina!:) That's what I get for copy/pasting from a site where it was misspelled. I did not double check in my rush! (And just to tweak some more, hee hee, Rina...there is no double p in Peperomia, as Jeff indicated.) All good info, folks!!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeff, Rosemarie-

yes, I misspelled peperomia...
    I had no idea about ferreyrae until I googled it to see more pics.
    (I probably misspell more often than not, English is my second language - but please, correct me any time you notice, anybody!)

Jeff, I am in subtropical region of Ontario, Canada - right in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Rina

11 years ago

Rina,

What is your first language, please? Mine's English, but I have a lot of problems with it.

We should do some trading sometime - I have some plants you could grow there, home of the world's best market (according to National Geographic). And the way the Blue Jays played last night (a new record for longest Opening Day game, which they won with a home run by the catcher, who had gone 0-6 in the game so far), I say, up with subtropical Toronto!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeff

it's Slovak (and maybe English is my 3rd since we had to learn Russian when I was in school - from 3rd grade on - and just about all of us were really fluent in Russian...)

The market is pretty good, I don't think they sell any plants there?! Never thought to check it out, should make trip just to make sure.

My collection is very begginer-like, not sure if I can offer anything you don't have already. But open to suggestions...

Rina

11 years ago

Rina,

I'd be happy to send you some cuttings / extra plants of mine, with no need for you sending me plants. You can donate the postage cost to the SPCA. If that's OK with you that's fine with me, if you don't mind waiting until the summer. Send me an email via my username and we'll iron out the particulars.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeff

Thank you, that's very nice offer.
    I did send you e-mail.

Rina

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm