Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Bursera Bonsai?

Posted by tom_termine z5b MA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 12:21

Hi-

I was at my favorite bonsai nursery today working on some of my stuff with a friend, and I snapped a picture of his bursera bonsai. I drool every time I see this plant...sadly it is out of my price range ;-(.

Nice, huh?

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Bursera Bonsai?

Tom,

That that majesty of a plant is for sale is itself extraordinary. What was the price tag on it - >500 USD?

It's a lovely plant and brightened the day here. TFS!

o

J -

I agree...wish it just followed me home.

And, yes, >500 USD...

T

o

Wonderful Bursera! That peeling bark is sweet.

This isn't Bonsai West, is it?

Josh

o

Josh -

Yes it is...

That tree's owner and I repotted a clump of sagos, pruned a pomegranate, and wired a big olive stump today!

Spring is a-coming!

T

o

Awesome! Something about the look, the lighting, and the backdrop said "Bonsai West" ;-)
Plus, knowing your location and having "friended" one of the Bonsai West folks on Facebook,
it made for an easier guess.

Josh

o
FB friend

Josh -

I think your FB friend may be my actual friend over there. Every spring he and I give my trees a 'facelift' together...it's the official start of the growing season for me!

T

o

I have a suspicion that it is indeed the same guy ;-)
Through Mike, I was lucky enough to obtain one of his Crassula mutations, "Gargoyle."

Josh

o

Yes Josh, It is I! This is a tree that I have been working on for over 10 years now. I have basically built all of the branches. Was a good day Tom!

o

There you are, sir!
You've done a splendid job of building this one!
Great display.

Josh

o

Definitely one of the better fagaroides I've seen. What size pot is it in?

o

It is in a pretty good sized pot...from memory, maybe 14 inches across???

G - can you give us a more accurate answer on that measure? The trunk is nice and thick, too. I think one of its best features is how its base is actually thicker than its trunk. I find many bursera (mine included) will actually narrow a bit at the base. This one, does not...

T

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 11:15

Wow, That's a great specimen!

o

Gosh that is a great plant. Even if you can't own it, it sounds like you have visitation rights.

o

That is such a beautiful plant thank you for sharing , I will never get to see anything like that in person, so it is a real treat to see every ones pictures.
Tom your Bursera bonsai that you shared in the 'B's is just fantastic, you have a great plant that is just perfect in my eyes, great job growing and training it!
I wish I could ever get any branches on my old dinosaur, it just sits there.

o

Hey G! That is not the only one that I love with there, you know that.

Good to see you and I will be around there very soon. Love that plant!

Hello everyone else!

Mike

o
RE:B Best Bursera Bonsai?

Ooops! Tom, have you even seen that Natal Plum coming through that volcanic rock?

Now , that I would buy if it were for sale.

o

Mike -

I don't think I have seen that bonsai...but I think everything is probably for sale...for the right price ;-).

T

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 20:19

I hope my baby Bursera gets that beautiful someday. Tom with your skills surely you could create a bonsai that good.

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 20:21

Glass House Works sells these...... I just added this to my list of plants I want.

Rob

o

The pot is about 16 inches.

o

I think that that tree needs a place to put its roots, a new Caudex pot to do it justice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here