Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb05_gw

Freeze damage? Madagascar Palm (pachypodium lamerei)

deb05
16 years ago

WE HAVE A MADAGASCAR PALM THAT IS 25YRS OLD. IT WAS APPROX 13 FT TALL. WE RECENTLY MOVED A FEW MILES AWAY AND HAVE HAD A PROBLEM SINCE THEN. IT IS IN THE SAME SUNLIGHT, HOWEVER WE HAD TO REPOT AS ITS POT BROKE. WE HAD A FREEZE A FEW WEEKS AGO AND DIDN'T NOTICE A PROBLEM UNTIL AFTER A STRONG WINDSTORM A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. THE TOP 2 FT OF THE PLANT BENT OVER AND WE DISCOVERED IT WAS DRIED OUT. WE ARE UNSURE HOW MUCH FURTHER DOWN THE PLANT IS DRIED OUT. I NOTICED A COUPLE OF MEMBERS STATED THEY CUT THEIR PLANTS OFF BECAUSE OF TOP DAMAGE. I WANTED TO KNOW IF THEY DID ANYTHING TO THE BARE TOP AFTER CUTTING IT OFF. WE ALSO NOTICED A WEEPING OF FLUID FROM THE TRUNK ABOUT 1/2 WAY UP THE PLANT.

CAN SOMEONE GIVE US HELP, THIS PLANT MEANS A LOT TO US AS I GOT IT AT MY DAUGHTERS BABY SHOWER AND IT HAS MADE IT 25 YRS. WE DON'T WANT TO LOOSE IT!

THANKS!!!

Comments (13)

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

On a side note, this keeps bugging the hell out of me...loose is like clothes that are too big, lose is when you don't win. I keep seeing "loose" instead of "lose" and its driving me CRAZY!!!

When/ if you cut off the top, give the plant plenty of fresh air, warmth and no moisture. Indoors next to a fan or open window is perfect. When new leaves start to sprout, it is safe to water and feed and expose the plant to the elements.

• cactusjordi
    16 years ago

It is necessary to cut it off below the area where it is weeping fluid. And you have to cut it even further down until the cut tissue is firm and looks homogeneous whitish-green.
    You can start watering the lower healthy trunk as soon as it warms up again. If everything works well, the trunk will offset like mad near its upper end. After about half a year you have to decide how many arms and which ones you want it to let grow. The rest of the small offsets you should cut off.
    Be careful the sap is toxic!

Jordi

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    16 years ago

Like in those civil war movies-amputate before the infection kills the whole plant.It's hard to hear of such a great old plant fighting to survive. The bent over is dead-no saving that. Cut below the ooze into firm healthy trunk as jordi says. As to bringing it indoors that depends on whether your having a warm spring or cool. If warm like in inland soucal,the sunlight will heal now as it's not too hot.

• deb05
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your help!! We have cut it below the ooze and it does look good there. We live in Tampa, Fl- our whether is now mid 70's to mid 80's, so from the recommendation appears it will be good outside.

16 years ago

Wow. I think you and Caudex could be a match made in Heaven.
    That Raphi(not Fokea edulis?) is a perfect Buddah resting his head in his hand plant.Clear as a bell!
    Seriously,you have some great,great, plants and pots.

• ankhworks
    16 years ago

Thanks -
    Yes - I know Caudex - we grow a lot of the same types of plants. He's also making some really nice pottery now.
    Never thought about the Buddha - pretty clever! Yes - that is a Raphi not a Fockea - just larger than usually seen.

• Eve Black-Venters
    8 years ago

My palm was hit by cold. it is kinda mushy . top dried out. Is it dead or can i revive it

8 years ago

You can do like the above Eve,or just leave it alone and eventually it will heal and shed the now shrunken top like a scab.

Right now,either way,it should be kept warm to recover.

• HU-924172708
    3 years ago

I cut my Madagascar Palm but the inside feels spongy. Should I cut more?

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    3 years ago

Can you take a pic?

3 years ago

I've had them cut back by cold- pretty common. I've never cut into them as the plants themselves as I had said,healed and then shed the shrunken tips.

Now,if your talking some kind of ( It is only November should not be any cold damage) bacteria problem...then yes keep removing the rot until you reach healthy stem and let that dry,or put sulphur on it. Also try to cut at an angle that sheds water. Angle cuts also- a pruning lesson here- heal more naturally looking. Straight across does not.

• HU-924172708
    3 years ago

Kara,

Here is the picture, I hope it comes out fine.