Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freeze damage? Madagascar Palm (pachypodium lamerei)

Posted by deb05 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 12:23

WE HAVE A MADAGASCAR PALM THAT IS 25YRS OLD. IT WAS APPROX 13 FT TALL. WE RECENTLY MOVED A FEW MILES AWAY AND HAVE HAD A PROBLEM SINCE THEN. IT IS IN THE SAME SUNLIGHT, HOWEVER WE HAD TO REPOT AS ITS POT BROKE. WE HAD A FREEZE A FEW WEEKS AGO AND DIDN'T NOTICE A PROBLEM UNTIL AFTER A STRONG WINDSTORM A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. THE TOP 2 FT OF THE PLANT BENT OVER AND WE DISCOVERED IT WAS DRIED OUT. WE ARE UNSURE HOW MUCH FURTHER DOWN THE PLANT IS DRIED OUT. I NOTICED A COUPLE OF MEMBERS STATED THEY CUT THEIR PLANTS OFF BECAUSE OF TOP DAMAGE. I WANTED TO KNOW IF THEY DID ANYTHING TO THE BARE TOP AFTER CUTTING IT OFF. WE ALSO NOTICED A WEEPING OF FLUID FROM THE TRUNK ABOUT 1/2 WAY UP THE PLANT.

CAN SOMEONE GIVE US HELP, THIS PLANT MEANS A LOT TO US AS I GOT IT AT MY DAUGHTERS BABY SHOWER AND IT HAS MADE IT 25 YRS. WE DON'T WANT TO LOOSE IT!

THANKS!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freeze damage? Madagascar Palm (pachypodium lamerei)

On a side note, this keeps bugging the hell out of me...loose is like clothes that are too big, lose is when you don't win. I keep seeing "loose" instead of "lose" and its driving me CRAZY!!!

When/ if you cut off the top, give the plant plenty of fresh air, warmth and no moisture. Indoors next to a fan or open window is perfect. When new leaves start to sprout, it is safe to water and feed and expose the plant to the elements.

o

It is necessary to cut it off below the area where it is weeping fluid. And you have to cut it even further down until the cut tissue is firm and looks homogeneous whitish-green.
You can start watering the lower healthy trunk as soon as it warms up again. If everything works well, the trunk will offset like mad near its upper end. After about half a year you have to decide how many arms and which ones you want it to let grow. The rest of the small offsets you should cut off.
Be careful the sap is toxic!

Jordi

o

Like in those civil war movies-amputate before the infection kills the whole plant.It's hard to hear of such a great old plant fighting to survive. The bent over is dead-no saving that. Cut below the ooze into firm healthy trunk as jordi says. As to bringing it indoors that depends on whether your having a warm spring or cool. If warm like in inland soucal,the sunlight will heal now as it's not too hot.

o

Thank you all for your help!! We have cut it below the ooze and it does look good there. We live in Tampa, Fl- our whether is now mid 70's to mid 80's, so from the recommendation appears it will be good outside.

o

Sounds like all will be well with your plant..!

Just joined the forum - I live in Southern CA and have 2 Pachys (Geayi and Namaquanam) that suffered some frost damage, though just to the growing point - and the plants have started to pup. Check out pictures of these two plants (and others) at the attached link -

Hope you enjoy!

Debbie

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Ankhworks Plants

o

Wow. I think you and Caudex could be a match made in Heaven.
That Raphi(not Fokea edulis?) is a perfect Buddah resting his head in his hand plant.Clear as a bell!
Seriously,you have some great,great, plants and pots.

o

Thanks -
Yes - I know Caudex - we grow a lot of the same types of plants. He's also making some really nice pottery now.
Never thought about the Buddha - pretty clever! Yes - that is a Raphi not a Fockea - just larger than usually seen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here