Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookworm79

Jade leaves turning black

Bookworm79
10 years ago

I'm not sure why the leaves of my Jade plant are wilting and turning black. About two months ago I re-potted it and I water it about once a week. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Bookworm79,
    I can't say why your Jade's leaves are turning black, but can you show a picture of your plant overall too? From the section that I can see of your plant (which isn't much), it looks like it hasn't been receiving enough light. The leaves are spaced too far apart.

Also, can you provide more details about your care? Where does this Jade reside (in a South window, in your livingroom, etc). What did you repot it into (a plastic pot, clay)? What kind of soil are you using?

Planto

• Bookworm79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Planto,

The Jade is places on the window sill in the living room of the apartment, facing the southern sun. The jade was re-potted in a ceramic pot with soil specifically for succulents. Also, when I water it I provide about a tablespoon or two of water and make sure that the soil is dry before watering it again in order to prevent root rot.

• Bookworm79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view of the jade.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Well, for one thing, you're not watering enough :-)
    Fully saturate the mix when you water, then allow it to dry. The pot might be a touch on the large size, but if gets enough sun that shouldn't matter. Are you able to take it outside during the Summer?

Josh

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Bookworm,
    Thanks for more pictures. Looks like Josh has an answer for you. Th new growth doesn't look as etoliated as the older growth, and a south window is best for these, so light is not as issue as I presumed.

Planto

• Bookworm79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. We have a little porch area that we'll be able to take it outside to enjoy the sun.

Chad

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hello....has it ever been fed, either before it was re-potted or after and what were the roots like when you un-potted it?
    Gill UK

P.S. I've just looked at one of those pics again...it appears to have aerial roots sprouting from a node...correct? If so, that's good news. As the new growth seems in better condition and is not as etiolated as the old, I would sever the stem and re-root it using those newly forming roots. Place in a much smaller pot in gritty mix and it will quickly form a healthy root system. In my opinion (for what it's worth!!) I don't think it will make a decent plant as it is weak in it's current condition. Josh it right, soak thoroughly and allow to dry between...and do feed it!