Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these echeveria seeds or ???

Posted by snarkyinla CA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 12:43

Several months ago my Echeveria bloomed, and later became covered in black spots that I assumed were seeds. They don't seem to move around but after all these many months, I'm not so sure anymore. The plant doesn't seem the worse for wear, but I'm surprised they are still there after all this time.

Can anyone take a look and tell me if this is anything I need to be worried about?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snarkyinla/sets/72157629189795590/

Thansk in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these echeveria seeds or ???

Eek! Yes, something to worry about...but not too hard to get rid of...those are aphids. You can hit them with a jet of water to knock them off, or use a spray of rubbing alcohol to kill, then wash off, or you can squish them, by whatever means. Since they are on the inflorescence, did you already have blooms? If so, you could just cut off the bloom stalk. Looks like buds to me, though. If you want to see undamaged blooms, best to get rid of the pests first. :)

If you want to see these move, get a magnifying glass-you'll see their itty-bitty legs! :P

Be sure to check the rosette for more-but I believe they mostly hang out on the inflorescences. Follow-up in a few days or a week to make sure they haven't returned.

o

Mix a 1/4 tsp of hand soap, not detergent, in a liter of water, mix and spray all over.

o

That's a pretty heavy infestation. You'll need to be checking the plant daily and killing any new aphids for a week. Then recheck every few days until you stop seening them. They can hide out in small places. I just had a few on an Echeveria blossom stalk. It took a couple of weeks for me to clear it up. It'd look fine for a couple of days, and out of nowhere, another one would show up.

Whatever you use, make sure you really wet it so that the crevices get wet too. Since they are in a pot, the problem with using a jet of water is that if you have to do it more than once, the plant can get too wet. You could also go to a nursery and buy some lady bugs!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 19:24

Those #$&%^%$ black aphids! Spray with alcohol, and repeat and repeat every day until they are gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here