Posted by Beachplants Z11 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 13:09

Tanquana hilmarii

Tanquana hilmarii

Tanquana hilmarii2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tanquana flowering

Ooo, WOW...what EXCELLENT pix, BP! I get a warm feeling from that 1st one...and then sunburst from the 2nd! =) TFS!

o

Oh ya. I'm into that. Nice photography. Love the spots.That flower shot is sweet.

Don't know much about Tanquana hilmarii. Can you school us on this little guy? Winter grower?

o

Mmmmmmm... I get the same warm feeling. I'm warming my hands by the campfire. Who's got marshmallows?

o

Excellent pic!

o

Thanks for the nice comments. Previously known as part of Pleiospilos genus, grows in the Tanqua Karoo, central Western Cape, low rainfall area. Keep dry in winter, new leaves, and fairly dry in high summer (rest). More Late summer to Autumn grower. I am going create hybrids with my P. bolusii, flowering now as well and see what happens. My second plant is a year too young to flower, so this year it will be hybrid fun.

o

Thanks for the info Rian. Sounds like it would have to a greenhouse sort of plant here in SoCal. I remember your picture of the blooming P. bolusii. Hybrid fun about ready to start! Have fun. :-)

o

Yes, I cannot wait to show the big bolusii flowering, should be a good site. Greenhouse would be best I think.

o

It sure does look like you P. bolusii. What is the difference? now I am confused.

o

Smooth unkeeled leaves, more rounded and colour of this one also little different, petals also less I think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here