Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow Lights???

Posted by Deva33 5... southeast Iowa (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 13:15

Hello all,

I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment and do not have a south facing window. The best I have is a SE window, but the next apartment building is about 10 feet away, so I don't get as much full sunlight as my succulents would like. Therefore, I am considering a grow light. I also want to try to grow tomatoes and herbs so I think I will need a grow light for that. Has anyone had luck with grow lights? Even if its just to supplement the indirect sunlight.

Thanks,
Deva

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow Lights???

• Posted by avil none (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 1:12

This is not an official grow light but it is an easy and quick fix for small plants like succulents.

They are $8 at HomeDepot and it's a full 200 watts at 6500k. It's a big bulb at 5 inches but it should fit in any lamp fixture or reflector.

CFL bulb - very little heat.

Not perfect but a quick $8 fix.

o

• Posted by Deva33 5... southeast Iowa (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 17:14

cool. Thanks for the tip!

o

I used some light for my succulents this winter. Still in a south facing window but with a little added light and it definitely made a difference. Plants growing up instead of toward the window and more compact. Still not the sun but it definitely helped. The lights can be obtained cheaply like the suggestion above. You really don't need anything more advanced than some kind of regular fluorescent fixture "shop lights" which you can get at any big box store or hardware place.

o

I have only NE or SW facing windows. I want to get some grow lights for a table. It has to be white suspending by chain or a stand alone. However, I can't find one in 24" 4 bulb or 36". I also don't know what wattages I need. Some say 20 watts. Then the T-5's are all in black. Does anyone have a good source? Thanks for your help!

o

I bought this one for work. I sit in an office that gets no natural light, seems to work ok for 3.99

I want to try this one for 19.99.

I'll prob try the $8 Home Depot bulb first, see how that works out. Thx for the tip avil. :)

Here's a link at lamps plus that has other options.

This post was edited by chicagardens on Sat, May 10, 14 at 9:00

o

Thanks but I have 45 succulents on a 36" table. Do you think one bulb will do all of that?

o

I used to have a 48" T8 shop lights on my tank, I upgraded to leds so Im using one fixture for my suc and cacti. My aloes have gone red. So yea, a light fixture will go along way but honestly I dont have much experience. It was my first time using the fixture and it was during winter when plants dont grow much or at all.

o

NameTaken, Are you saying I can cover all 45 succulents on one bulb? or that I need the 48" fixture for as many as I have?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here