Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
List of Words to Avoid

Posted by hanzrobo 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 13:23

I'm just not very fond of adlinks being placed in my paragraphs. It's distracting and makes me feel like I'm endorsong something. It will take some real effort to avoid using these words but good vocabulary practice! Or maybe I'll just ignore it...

Hello, friends!

Are you looking for an exciting experience you can enjoy with your family this weekend in the comfort of your own home?... at a bargain, you say?

Well, your opportunity has arrived! Just take a quick trip to your local book store. It's easy, healthy and you get the pleasure of supporting local businesses. Take those books back to your house and start studying! School doesn't have to end in summer!

This post was edited by hanzrobo on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 14:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: List of Words to Avoid

Okay, so they'll only do 3-at-a-time. I was expecting a paragraph of green, hee-hee! There are at least 17 words there that will turn green if used. I'm sure there are others - these are just what I could find quickly.

opportunities
studying
family
home
house
quick
exciting
experience
friend
bargain
books
weekend
enjoy
healthy
easy
school
businesses

It doesnt show up on my phone. Also, I'm sure many of you have adblocking and see no hyperlinks. NBD

This post was edited by hanzrobo on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 14:15

o

If you scroll to the bottom of this page you will see:
"Learn more about in-text links on this page here"

It will take you to a sticky on the Suggestions forum which in turn has a link to opt out of the text links.

Alternatively, replace one letter with an asterisk in the words you don't want a link in, like gard*n.

o

to be honest I barely even notice them any more I just straight u ignore them.

I didn't even realize that these ads were on gardenweb lol. I guess that's how common they are on these types of forums, that I just stopped noticing them

o

Oh, thanks nhbabs! I'll do that. I guess I should read the fine print more often than I do, which is never.

yorkie, what got me was when I tried to edit a post and each word that had been hyperlinked was expanded to this huge string of html. It looks like I have the power to change that now, so... problem solved!

o

Okay, I did the opt out. Let's see if it works.
quick
exciting
experience
friend
bargain
home

o

Nope. I emptied my cache and refreshed like they suggested. Maybe it takes more time.

o

In your 15:02 posting, none of the words are active.

Josh

o

Ah, yes! I guess it took a little while to go through. It still had links right after I posted. Sweet victory!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 19:45

Maybe reading instructions isn't always so bad?

o

Well, I prefer glancing at instructions but to each his own. I had seen the "learn more about in-text links here" but I thought it was instructions on how to add hyperlinks into the body of your post, which I've seen people do on this forum. I never bothered to click the link. I'm hoping this information will be useful to others as well.

As of now, though, the word "refreshed" in my post above is still green.

o

I quasi-investigated this recently too. If memory serves, you need to opt-out every time you open your browser. Opting out doesn't affect how one posts, but how posts are viewed after doing the opt-out, for those who do it.

The auto-links are dynamic, and may change if you reload the page. You can edit them out of your post, submit, look again, new ones have appeared. They don't show up in preview, so you can't know they are there until you submit, then look at your post.

Yes I like to spend time in the kitchen with family, in our home which we occasionally remodel.

o

I get none of those adlink thingies with my AdBlock Plus...Just sayin'...

Christopher

o

Thank you purple and Kr, for your input. You're right, purple, the links seemed to change every time the page was reloaded.

I just want to jump in with an update. As of now, I'm not seeing adlinks anywhere. They've completely disappeared! Yissssssss!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here