Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alieliza

Lots of Cacti to Identify

alieliza
16 years ago

Well, last weekend I totally scored.

My dad had a ton of cacti that he was looking to rehome, as he needs space on the sun porch for his real love, orchids.

Well, I was happy to take them off his hands, but now I need to know what they are!

Please help!

Oh, and any advice on their care is appreciated too! (Ark, I know you're out there!)

A.

This one doesn't have any spikes. It is my favorite one of all of the cacti I received!

{{gwi:508845}}

B. This one is fairly big, and has this extending growing pattern (can be seen in second picture). Can I cut the pieces off at the nodes and replant them?

{{gwi:508846}}

{{gwi:508849}}

C. I *think* he said this one was a night blooming cereus.

{{gwi:508852}}

D. This one is labeled an Orchid Cactus. Any tips on making it look beautiful? It clearly has not been well cared for.

{{gwi:508855}}

{{gwi:508857}}

E.

He bought this at lowes, labeled "jungle cactus"

{{gwi:508859}}

{{gwi:508862}}

{{gwi:508865}}

F.

This one looks succulent-ish.

{{gwi:508868}}

{{gwi:508871}}

G.

{{gwi:508874}}

{{gwi:508877}}

{{gwi:508880}}

H.

This one is not from my dad. I bought this one at Lowe's for 1.00. They were on sale because the glued on flower was coming off. *Gasp!*

{{gwi:508883}}

I. Not a cactus, but this was another lowe's sale (.50 cents) because it was in rough shape.

J.

Just for fun, Ill also share the Spanish Moss my dad threw in because "he's good at killing it".

I also made out with 25 seed starting trays each with 50 cells (eeek!), and crushed up vermiculite for seed starting, and two wooden slat baskets (like the one seen with the spanish moss!)

I *love* my dad!

All of the cactus need some TLC. I know I want to repot a bunch of them, but Im not sure which should go in cactus soil, regular potting soil, etc.

Any advice, as well as names of plants, would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (22)

• gliese
    16 years ago

I think the first is a Stapeliad of some sort. The second looks like a Hylocereus. D,E,G are epiphyllums of some kind, I think E&G are Rhipsalis. F looks like a Kalanchoe. H might be a Notocactus, but I'm very uncertain about that.

The care advice I'd offer is to treat the epiphyllums like Christmas cactus, water the Kananchoe and (Noto?)cactus once they've been dry for awhile, cut back the water during winter (especially for the cactus), and, although I've never grown one, I think that would also go for the Stapeliad. Well draining soil all around, of course, none of these like to stay moist for too long. And yes, you can reroot pieces of Hylocereus, I think you'd just stick the cutting in some slightly moist soil (preferably during the growing season), let it dry out a bit, and occasionally re-moisten it until you start to see new growth.

• plantgrrl
    16 years ago

If A. isn't Duvalia polita I'll eat my hat! I'm pretty sure. They are members of the Stapeliad family as gliese said--you have some cool Martian-looking dark purpley liver colored flowers to look forward to.

B, C, D, E, G--these all look like some sort of Epiphyllum, or orchid cactus. They have a lot of varieties though, so it would be rather hard to tell without seeing the flowers. Any of these you can prune and pot up the cuttings--after drying for a week--with the growing end pointing up, in a bromeliad type potting mix, with about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cutting below the soil line (with cuttings of approx 6" in length), water well, and then don't water again until you can pull lightly and feel roots.

P.S.--your dad is great! I was just thinking about making a "Depot rescue" run of their clearance section. :)

I hope someone else can id the others for you. Happy nursing!

• gardenbear1
    16 years ago

the first one is a Stapeliad its one of the carnivorous plants.#b is a Hylocereus ( dragon fruit) but not sure of the hybrid.#c is a Oxypetallum, night bloom cereus.#d,e,g are epiphyllum, not sure of the hybrid. the others I'm not sure of maybe some on will come alone and help ID them. the Stapeliad will need a well draining soil and lots of light no full sun it will burn and die.Hylocereus or Dragon fruit will take more sun than most epiphyllum but need a well draining soil.Oxypetallum will need the same type of soil( make sure you have room for this one it get tall and well as wide, lots of bright light no full sun they don't like it.Epiphyllum ( orichid cactus )need the same care you give you Christmas cactus water when dry and feed all summer come winter cut back on water and feedings. When taking cuttings let them dry out for a few days and then plant them in dry soil no water until they root, you can tell when they have rooted by giving them a light tug and if they don't move there rooted.then star with a small amount of water at first then water about every 2 week untill the star to send out new shoots. just make sure what ever potting mix you use drains well jungle cactus don't like to stay wet you will end up with root rot.
    I hope this helps.

Bear

• paulzie32
    16 years ago

I'm always amazed at how well everyone ID's plants! I always know, if I have an unidentified plant, I can usually post a picture here and get a name within 24 hours! What an amazing knowledge base in all the members!
    And Yes, Stapeliads are known as carrion flowers because of thier smell. I believe they're also pollinated by flies... hence the smell of rotting flesh.

• alieliza
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your great help!

Oh No! Carrion Flowers?? They smell like rotting flesh?!?

I was so excited about this interesting looking cactus, and now I am dreading it going into flower!!

Eeekkk!!

• alieliza
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your great help!

Oh No! Carrion Flowers?? They smell like rotting flesh?!?

I was so excited about this interesting looking cactus, and now I am dreading it going into flower!!

Eeekkk!!

• paulzie32
    16 years ago

:-) It's fine... just don't put your nose to it. They actually have a pretty nice, although unusual looking flower.

• gardenbear1
    16 years ago

the Carrion Flowers are not that bad of a smell as long as your nose isn't in it. the flowers are different some look like a star fish. I have one I'm waiting on it to bloom this is what it should look like when it blooms, the pic. is from the seller and not of mine, just what it should look like I hope.you will be able to ID yours when it blooms.
    {{gwi:508891}}

Bear

• plantgrrl
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's Duvalia polita--which is a stapeliad. Although gardenbear is wrong about them being carnivorous. They are from the desert, where there aren't any bees, so they attract flies instead to pollenate them. People often confuse a plants wish to attract non-bee insects for pollenation with being carnivorous (IE for a while botanists believed that Corpse Flower, Amorphophyllis Titanum, was a carnivorous plant, due to its smell attracting flies and the inner ribs of the flower making it difficult for the flies to leave...as it turned out, the female part of the flower matures first--requiring cross-pollenation to take place. So the plant is actually attempting to keeping the fly inside longer in hopes of it walking around and transporting as much pollen as possible to the next plant--thus increasing the odds of successful pollenation. But I digress...)

Don't be too scared, I have several stapeliads that have flowered and I haven't smelled anything no matter how close I get my nose to them. Some of the stapeliads seem to attract the flies just by beening a specific color...like liver-y purple. They are very cool and not smelly at all. I have a D. polita but it hasn't flowered yet, so I'm not sure of it's specific smell to flower ratio.

Happy gardening!

• gardenbear1
    16 years ago

what I have is a Schneideriana maroon Huernia that was sold as a carnivorous plant I'm going by what the dealer said, so far all his plants are what he said they are, so its going to be wait and see on this one.but what ever it turns out to be I'll be happy just to see it bloom.

Bear

• leahrenee1
    16 years ago

Don't worry, your hernia isn't going to eat anything! :) I have a variety that looks very similar, although it is confusing b/c they all look similar, but as long as the soil is well drained it tolerates regular watering, and if anything falls off just stick it back in the pot and it will re-root itself, or be a friend and pass it on to a budding succulent grower.

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

B - Hylocereus something (undatus?)
    C, D - Epiphyllum
    G - Rhipsalis
    I - Dracaena reflexa (used to be Pleomele reflexa)

• plantgrrl
    16 years ago

Bear,

Didn't mean to sound like a jerk. :) I've just done a bit of reading on CP's and I'm just getting into Asclepiads, so I get a little over zealous sometimes. As far as I'm aware, Huernia don't eat the bugs, they just want them for pollination, but who knows. It just seems eating you pollinator would be counter-productive from a reproductive standpoint. *smile*

• nigel_sa
    16 years ago

Uh, also, not trying to sound like a jerk, but for arguments sake, You only have 1 "true" cacti there. the rest are all technically "succulents" with the exception of the draceana, which i think, is a type of palm?

• paulzie32
    16 years ago

Well, for arguments sake Nigel epiphyllum and rhypsalis are true cactus. Both are in the family Cactaceae. Both are epiphytes and both are found in tropical climates but that doesn't mean they're not cacti.
    All cacti are succulents but not all succulents are cacti.

I don't believe Spanish Moss has ever been considered a succulent either. It IS an epiphyte though.

• Kathy Bowden
    6 years ago

Wow! I love this site! I've been trying FOREVER to identify this cactus shown in picture A. Mine is beautiful with gorgeous maroon flowers. I've asked every nursery around with no id success. Thanks again and here is my contribution:

• Kathy Bowden
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for your response! I'm such a plant lover and always looking for new info.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You're so welcome; happy to point you in the right direction.

Now look at your pic (is that your plant?), compare to 1st pic in this old thread, also IDed as Stapelia. Not quite the same plants, but related; see the comparable manner of bumps on the trunk?

• Kathy Bowden
    6 years ago

I see the diff. You are completely correct! Mine is more like Huernia or Starfish. Do you agree?

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago

I can't tell, we'll have to wait a bit for others to come & share opinions. Otherwise, try to match up bloom pix to that bloom.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    6 years ago

I think it is Huernia schneideriana. I lost mine to scale and rot, so it never got too big. Here it is.

That tall piece in the center was a volunteer from another plant I purchased. The above is 1.5 years after I got it (below). It spread nicely!