sick lophophora

Peixinho
10 years ago

hi there.. my peyote is sick, it as a grey stuff.. can some one help me? thanks

Comments (7)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Peixinho,

Love your handle (translates to 'Little Fish', for those who don't speak Portuguese) Sorry for your trouble, don't know if folks can help you here. This plant is only allowed to be handled or grown by Native American Indians, here in the USA, so don't know if folks will know how to help you or be comfortable even giving the advice.

Saying same in Portuguese, in case they don't speak much English.

Desculpa, Peixinho, mas aqui nos Estados Unidos, é contra a leia crescer esta planta si não somos Indios Americanos, é permitido para eles como forma de observacão religiosa.

(PG) Karen, quem cresceu no Brasil.

• Peixinho
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol actually its my family name! sorry i didn't know this plant was illegal to grow in the usa..

• paul_
    10 years ago

It isn't illegal. It is illegal to grow with intent to sell for drug use or to harvest from the wild unless one is a member of those tribes for whom its use is traditional. A single plant is of no consequence. That said, most folks choose not to grow it or at least not to publicize that they have one. Last thing anyone wants is some moronic drug head breaking into one's plant collection seeking a plant with psychotropic properties. Now if you had an flat or two of them, then you very well could wind up with the local gendarme knocking on your door.

Never having tried my hand at one myself, I wonder if it may be too late to save? Looks like it is collapsing which could mean that a fungal or bacterial infection has infiltrated the plant. Will be interested to hear the thoughts of others in that regard.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Well, the truth be know, it isn't. And Paul got to this before I did and he has some good comments. There are several species in this genus and sometimes they are all called "Peyote". It's kind of like calling counter top laminate "Formica" when there are several brands of laminate out there. Specifically, Lophophora williamsii is peyote and as long as you aren't growing it for its "medicinal" uses and don't make a lot of noise that you are growing it, most DEA people won't care; they have bigger fish to fry! The other species can be grown without concern. Understand, all of the genus have hallucinogenic chemicals. It's just L. williamsii has the greatest amount/volume of plant material, especially when dried and ground up!

These are 1 ý year old Lophophora seedlings grown from seed I got from Steve (Mesa Gardens).

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 15:00

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Considering it takes ten years to have a specimen with enough mescaline to ingest, I honestly do not get the hubblah about L. WIlliamsii. San Pedro is far more accessible, has roughly the same content and grows to maturity in half the time. But let's not grow these wonderful species just to hack them up and eat them, okay? :) I wouldn't dare cut up my 4' San Pedro. :O Unthinkable!

Yeah, um.. about your plant. I'm pretty sure if it's L. Williamsii (true peyote) it is going to be of "Caespitosa" variety and not even sound an alram on the legality scale. They just aren't potent at all from what I understand.

Is it mushy? The gray could be scale, rot... sunburn. Hard to tell from a single picture.

• Peixinho
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mushy?? you mean soft at touch.. yes but not on the gray, its soft on the other side.. if it is fungus, how can i treat him? thanks

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Most of the members of this genus are soft-bodied. It is definitely not scale and it really doesn't look like rot. It looks like the tissues are shrinking maybe from sun burn or cold????