Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Notocactus vs Parodia vs ???????

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 13:50

This is the first time I've flowered this plant. Up until now it has been a NOID. Knowing there are several skilled people who frequent this forum, I know someone will come to dear old Doc's assistance and give me a proper name... "Hey, NOID!", is getting very OLD! I know it looks similar to one of my recent postings of Parodia uebelmanniana, but this plant is much lighter green and the spines, while flat, are larger.

Photobucket Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Notocactus vs Parodia vs ???????

It looks like Parodia werneri to me, which I think is synonymous with Parodia uebelmanniana (also known as Notocactus uebelmanniana). I think there are a number of "names" for this particular cactus. If I remember correctly, the genus Notocactus was "merged" (for a lack of better words) with Parodia and is not as often used with identification. I hope this helps.

o

Notocactus roseoflorus or N. roseoluteus. Not P./N. uebelmanniana, which has a more darkly purple hue, IIRC.

And I learned it as Notocactus - it may be changed, as PM states, to Parodia by the nomenclutter boffins. Surely a nicely-flowering South American glob o' cactus if I've ever seen one.

o

I thought many Parodia were lumped into Notocactus. No?

I don't think Howard's plant is Notocactus roseoluteus. Its flowers are larger, with not so pointy petals & the pokeys stick straight out (rather than hug the plant). Blooms are lighter pink as well. Here's a photo of a friend's plant:

Notocactus uebelmannianus blooms change color as they open. The blooms on Howard's plant are larger opened than mine ever were. But I believe that is what you have.

I had 2 similar plants. The blooms never fully opened on the 1 seen below when I took pix. The other I missed seeing blooms altogether! :(

I believe Parodia werneri is a synonym for Notocactus uebelmannianus, as is Parodia crassigibba.

o

OK, when I look at the flowers and the plant, they don't look the same. I understand, just as with any plant, there can be variation from same species to same species. Look at the body of my plants: one has larger "nubbins" to form the ribs and is a darker green and the spines are different and the flowers on the right have more rounded tips as Rosemarie has noted. Granted, the plant on the right is a larger plant overall and the plant on the left may change as it gets larger and this may be the difference. I have no problem if they are the same plant. Anyway, a great big thank you to all. And Jeff, you are just too funny!

Photobucket Photobucket Parodia ubelmanniana Parodia ubelmanniana

o

bikerdoc5968,
You're welcome. :) Let us know if the cactus you inquired about changes at all over time (flowers or the overall appearance of the cactus), I'd be interested to find out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here